ford computer updates and worse fuel economy

aeboi863

is it just me or has anyone else noticed lower fuel economy since ford has been doing updates to the cmax hybrid. when i first got mine in june 2013 i was doing really good on fuel economy just driving normal and then they came out with the update to let our cars go up to 82mph in electric mode well every since then my car has been achieving worse fuel economy and seems that doesnt use the electric motor for as long as it did when it had the original programming. Even seems that the engine runs longer while driving i live in fl and its pretty flat every where i go and i do the same 130 miles a day and before the update i always had great fuel economy over 41.2 consistently even 42.3+ on highway on long trips now i can barely ever get over 38 keep in mind during the hottest part of year i was getting the 41+ fuel economy then in september when ford has updates my fuel economy was good for a little while but then since then i have had 2 check engine lights for engine timer sensor running engine to long and even when i have almost a full battery and come to a stop light it will run the engine for almost a whole minute while stopped and then seems to slam the engine off or from time to time when going from park to reverse or drive it sounds like the motors or transmission are already engaged and makes very hard jerks on engine as im going in between park-drive. just wondering if anyone else has had any weird problems like these

thank you,

matt

sebring fl

white 2013 ford cmax with just over 36k miles

is it just me or has anyone else noticed lower fuel economy since ford has been doing updates to the cmax hybrid. when i first got mine in june 2013 i was doing really good on fuel economy just driving normal and then they came out with the update to let our cars go up to 82mph in electric mode well every since then my car has been achieving worse fuel economy and seems that doesnt use the electric motor for as long as it did when it had the original programming. Even seems that the engine runs longer while driving i live in fl and its pretty flat every where i go and i do the same 130 miles a day and before the update i always had great fuel economy over 41.2 consistently even 42.3+ on highway on long trips now i can barely ever get over 38 keep in mind during the hottest part of year i was getting the 41+ fuel economy then in september when ford has updates my fuel economy was good for a little while but then since then i have had 2 check engine lights for engine timer sensor running engine to long and even when i have almost a full battery and come to a stop light it will run the engine for almost a whole minute while stopped and then seems to slam the engine off or from time to time when going from park to reverse or drive it sounds like the motors or transmission are already engaged and makes very hard jerks on engine as im going in between park-drive. just wondering if anyone else has had any weird problems like these

thank you,

matt

sebring fl

What does the dealer say?

thank you,

matt

sebring fl

You should be able to go 85mph in EV, mine gets 86mph according to GPS. Sounds like something is amiss, I gained maybe one mpg with change on HWY. I wonder if they change % of Ethanol during winter in FL. For a test put in Pure Gas for a full tank  and maybe injector cleaner see if that makes a difference. Might check air filter, changed mine at 40K, check tire psi, run mine at 49psi. and have 52K them going for 60K. Try to cover all the possibilities, it will be interesting if the Dealer comes up with anything. :) 

Paul 

I get about the same mpg on the highway and about 3 mpg better in the city, especially on shorter trips.

So for us the update was a plus.  Noticed that with the temperature rise the last month or so the cmax mpg

tracks the temperature pretty close from 38 - 60 degrees F.  For example temp today was 60 degrees F and mpg in a

9 mile city trip was 60 mpg.

aeboi863

Someone else had a failed 13B07 update, I think it was JohnnOhio.

You should visit your dealer and convince them that they need to RE-install the update to your car.

I’m searching for the thread but haven’t found it yet.

More when/if I find it.

Found it, starts on post # 294 by CassidyB and 295 by JohnnOhio.

Follow JohnnOhio, he had to seek legal help to get his dealer to complete the install.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2536-ford-to-offer-free-updates-to-boost-hybrid-vehicle-efficiency/page-15?hl=13b07

is it just me or has anyone else noticed lower fuel economy since ford has been doing updates to the cmax hybrid. when i first got mine in june 2013 i was doing really good on fuel economy just driving normal and then they came out with the update to let our cars go up to 82mph in electric mode well every since then my car has been achieving worse fuel economy and seems that doesnt use the electric motor for as long as it did when it had the original programming. ...

Matt,

Let me see how I can help. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a look.

Ashley

Sounds like you have the same problem I was having. The ICE didn't seem to be putting power to the wheels. It was like driving in a car with the clutch slipping. The engine RPM's are  up but your not going anywhere fast. The reinstall fixed the problem.

My dealer stinks. I only chose them because they were close. I ordered mine and had to pick a dealer to deliver to. Now that it is fixed I have been driving 35 miles to another dealer that really seems to have they're act together. Kind of sucks putting 70 miles on the car to have an oil change but I'll never go back to the first dealer again.

well my local dealer said they would flash/download the computer update but cant do it till one day next week and yesterday i had a check engine light for engine coolant temp that i asked them to pull before the computer erased it. i had drove my car before this light came on for a few miles in ev mode at 35 mph and have no idea why it came on. im really wondering if i need to lemon law my car. i have the dealers print out of all services/warranty items that have been performed on my vehicle since i bought it 8 months ago and i have a total of 19 pages of repairs. it was made mar of 13 and i bought it jun of 13. i just dont know what to do im so confused because i love how much money my cmax saves me in fuel every month i went from my 01 blazer at 1200.00 a month in fuel down to just 350+- the only other vehicle i would possibly think of would be a diesel jetta but would rather wait till they came out i think next year with their new diesel engine or the diesel mazda 6 if it ever hits the USA i know they say it will be here but when?

Edited by aeboi863

well my local dealer said they would flash/download the computer update but cant do it till one day next week and yesterday i had a check engine light for engine coolant temp that i asked them to pull before the computer erased it. i had drove my car before this light came on for a few miles in ev mode at 35 mph and have no idea why it came on. im really wondering if i need to lemon law my car. i have the dealers print out of all services/warranty items that have been performed on my vehicle since i bought it 8 months ago and i have a total of 19 pages of repairs. it was made mar of 13 and i bought it jun of 13. i just dont know what to do im so confused because i love how much money my cmax saves me in fuel every month i went from my 01 blazer at 1200.00 a month in fuel down to just 350+- the only other vehicle i would possibly think of would be a diesel jetta but would rather wait till they came out i think next year with their new diesel engine or the diesel mazda 6 if it ever hits the USA i know they say it will be here but when?

Did you PM Ashley? She can take care your problems. :)

Paul

• 8 months later...

I recently purchased a 2013 C-Max that was on a dealer lot since last year.  It only had 300 miles on it and they made me a pretty good deal so I pulled the trigger.

I was trying to determine if the fuel efficiency update has been performed on my vehicle (13B07.)  Is there any way I can figure that out without taking it back to the dealer?  I bought the car out of town and would like to avoid driving back if possible.  Also, is there a general consensus as to whether the update is a significant improvement?  Pros?  Cons?

I recently purchased a 2013 C-Max that was on a dealer lot since last year.  It only had 300 miles on it and they made me a pretty good deal so I pulled the trigger.

I was trying to determine if the fuel efficiency update has been performed on my vehicle (13B07.)  Is there any way I can figure that out without taking it back to the dealer?  I bought the car out of town and would like to avoid driving back if possible.  Also, is there a general consensus as to whether the update is a significant improvement?  Pros?  Cons?

Go to the Ford Etis site and put your VIN number in under the 'Vehicle' tab. It will show you the Outstanding Field Service Actions.

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do

• 4 weeks later...

Found it, starts on post # 294 by CassidyB and 295 by JohnnOhio.

Follow JohnnOhio, he had to seek legal help to get his dealer to complete the install.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2536-ford-to-offer-free-updates-to-boost-hybrid-vehicle-efficiency/page-15?hl=13b07

Why not just go to a different dealer? Many people have at least 5 Ford dealers within a 150 mile drive.