Service Stability Traction Control Message - Code U0126

plus 3 golfer

This post is to document an alarm message I got on the left hand display while driving my C-Max for reference.  The message was "SERVICE STABILITRAC (sp)".  The traction control light illuminated (squiggly lines) and the traction control "OFF" was also illuminated.  The traction control system turned from "on" to "off" and could not be set to "on".  There was no other performance / drivability effect on the vehicle.  I drove about 34 miles home and made an appointment with the dealer.  Later in the day, I took the C-Max out and the same message popped up upon start-up and the lights were illuminated.  After I drove about an 1/8 mile, the traction lights turned off and stability control was turned back on.  Even though things returned to normal, I still took it to the dealer to document the issue and see if there were codes stored (for potential future warranty claims).  MIleage on car was about 22k miles.

The dealer found an intermittent diagnostic trouble code stored: U0126 Lost Communication With Steering Angle Sensor Module.   The dealer cleared the code and ran PinPoint Test K1-K2 which indicated everything was normal at that time. I believe these tests check for proper voltages, continuity, and so forth..  So, we'll see if it happens again.   I would think that before the loss of communication code would be triggered that a threshold level (timeout after so many communication attempts) would need to be exceeded.  

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

... The dealer found an intermittent diagnostic trouble code stored: U0126 Lost Communication With Steering Angle Sensor Module.   The dealer cleared the code and ran PinPoint Test K1-K2 which indicated everything was normal at that time. I believe these tests check for proper voltages, continuity, and so forth..  So, we'll see if it happens again.   I would think that before the loss of communication code would be triggered that a threshold level (timeout after so many communication attempts) would need to be exceeded.  [/size]

Plus 3 Golfer,

I'm happy to lend a hand if you run into this warning again. Let me know if this happens again and I'll get you in touch with your regional customer service manager.

Ashley