2014 tire Aero Dams available from FORD

My commute used to be about 35 mins til I found Chill on Sirius. I seriously believe that channel, or listening to anything downtempo has caused the most improvement in my FE. False economy though as I accidentally forgot to call the special number to negotiate a lower renewal before 8/1 and just got dinged $210 for the pleasure of listening to the same songs over and over :)

Kevin

OUCH! You couldn't find any better deals that? I don't know what I pay, I leave it upto my CFO(wife) to take care of it.LOL :)

Paul

OUCH! You couldn't find any better deals that? I don't know what I pay, I leave it upto my CFO(wife) to take care of it.LOL :)

Paul

Yeah I'm usually pretty organized! I called a number last year and got a year for $105 incl tax. I just forgot to call them again this year, so the auto renew just did it's thing. Live and learn!

... Wheel covers and Wheel Well covers

Much easier to see when you don't stand in front of them! I figured out who was who from the grill, and only later noticed the wheel covers and well lips at the rear... and the 3-prong plug in the grill. I was thinking I'd run the heater plug up to the base of the windshield, so I'd trip over the power cord getting in if I forgot to unplug.

And on an aerodynamically related note, I had the dealership do an oil change this weekend, and they had issues getting the car on a lift due to my side skirts. There's plenty of room in front, so I'll need to check the back... at least they a) didn't remove them, b) didn't damage them, and c) found a work-around (used alignment rack for the oil change). No comments on the air dam as I made sure the engine cover was in the clear! Kudos to Van Bortel Ford for working with the customer!

HAve fun,

Frank

Much easier to see when you don't stand in front of them! I figured out who was who from the grill, and only later noticed the wheel covers and well lips at the rear... and the 3-prong plug in the grill. I was thinking I'd run the heater plug up to the base of the windshield, so I'd trip over the power cord getting in if I forgot to unplug.

And on an aerodynamically related note, I had the dealership do an oil change this weekend, and they had issues getting the car on a lift due to my side skirts. There's plenty of room in front, so I'll need to check the back... at least they a) didn't remove them, b) didn't damage them, and c) found a work-around (used alignment rack for the oil change). No comments on the air dam as I made sure the engine cover was in the clear! Kudos to Van Bortel Ford for working with the customer!

HAve fun,

Frank

I have left the cord plugged in a number of times and it pulls out after I get out of the garage. darn I have to drag it back into the garage. Plug by the windshield sounds like a good Idea and hang it on the mirror so I can't miss it. :) 

Paul

• 2 months later...

I have my two front deflectors, and hopefully will install them this weekend. I've looked under the car, and low and behold, the panel underneath the car appears to have slots precut for all of the tabs on the deflectors, as well as a precut hole for the fastener too!

If I have time, I plan to go by the dealer and see if I can get the exact fastener that is used. If I don't have time, I'll probably put this off until I can get the fastener.

I would still like to get the rear deflectors, but it seems we have hit a wall in determining the part number for those parts. 

Edited by 62Lincoln

I have my two front deflectors, and hopefully will install them this weekend. I've looked under the car, and low and behold, the panel underneath the car appears to have slots precut for all of the tabs on the deflectors, as well as a precut hole for the fastener too!

If I have time, I plan to go by the dealer and see if I can get the exact fastener that is used. If I don't have time, I'll probably put this off until I can get the fastener.

I would still like to get the rear deflectors, but it seems we have hit a wall in determining the part number for those parts. 

I will PM you with some ideas. :)

Paul

Front deflectors installed. My car had all the slots precut in the underbody shield, so the install was almost completely plug and play. All I had to do was remove 2 Torx screws from the shield that hold the rear of the deflector. I used the push pins I bought at the Ford dealer (specifically for this application per Fordparts.com).

Push pin part number:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8279&pictureid=45941

Overhead view of passenger side deflector as it would be installed (2 holes at rear use the removed Torx 30 screws, tab at 7:00 uses the push pin connector):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8279&pictureid=45943

Final install, factory perfect:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8279&pictureid=45944

Edited by 62Lincoln

Front deflectors installed. My car had all the slots precut in the underbody shield, so the install was almost completely plug and play. All I had to do was remove 2 Torx screws from the shield that hold the rear of the deflector. I used the push pins I bought at the Ford dealer (specifically for this application per Fordparts.com).

Push pin part number:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8279&pictureid=45941

Overhead view of passenger side deflector as it would be installed (2 holes at rear use the removed Torx 30 screws, tab at 7:00 uses the push pin connector):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8279&pictureid=45943

Final install, factory perfect:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8279&pictureid=45944

Cool! What build date is your car btw? Mine is August 2012, and had to cut the slots in the engine bay shield and drill holes where you connected using the push pin connectors. Just wonder if yours is maybe a newer shield, and maybe they'd already started on the 2014 parts, so installed a 2014 shield, less the deflectors. I'd have a check round the back end in front of the rear wheels and see if you have any holes for the rear deflectors too!

Nice install, were there any slots for the Dams pins to slide into? I cut my pins off before installing them. I don't know why FORD put the dams where they did so I put the Dams in front of the Tires where I thought they would do the most good aerodynamically. :)

Paul

All the slots and the hole at 7:00 (I guess it would be at 5:00 on the driver side) for the push pin were already there. Made the install extremely simple. I was lucky enough to find the push pin part number, so had exactly the correct size for this application, courtesy of Ford.

Edited by 62Lincoln

Cool! What build date is your car btw? Mine is August 2012, and had to cut the slots in the engine bay shield and drill holes where you connected using the push pin connectors. Just wonder if yours is maybe a newer shield, and maybe they'd already started on the 2014 parts, so installed a 2014 shield, less the deflectors. I'd have a check round the back end in front of the rear wheels and see if you have any holes for the rear deflectors too!

Build date on my car was August 2013 (it's an Energi, not sure if that matters).

I'd love to check for mounting points for the rear deflectors, but honestly not sure what to look for, since we don't know much about the rear deflectors. I want to take another run at trying to get a part number for them, but don't hold much hope, since no one has had success thus far.

Paul, are you sure? I had been thinking that part was the plastic panel that sits inboard of the rocker panel, but looking at the diagram, I think you are right! The diagram makes it look like they would attach using the existing push pins and perhaps one bolt. Have you bought them yet?

No, but I will check with FORD tomorrow. :)

Paul

Great investigative work Paul, now we know both sets of deflectors.  I'll have to order the rears.  I've been putting off installing the fronts until I could get the rears.  I found some push pins at a local O-Reilly's auto parts store I think will work before I pay what Ford wants for 4 pins.  Look very similar to the ones pictured in this thread.  I bought a package of 14 pins I'm sure for less than what Ford wants for those 4 picture in the link.

Well my dealer got the passenger side rear air dam, but not the drivers side. ;)  It is the right part so hopefully they will get the other one next week. :yahoo:

Paul

Paul, would you please post a photo of the part bag, so we can see the full part number? Congrats on the hard work, hopefully the other side shows up soon.