Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Message "lost communication with touch screen" in a car with no touch screen.

screen error message lost communication

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HotPotato

HotPotato

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 252 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:14 AM

My SE does not have the touch screen. But a few times lately, a message has appeared in the right-hand dash screen saying "Lost Communication with Touch Screen." Any idea what this might mean?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

Any idea what this might mean?

Yes, you've driven too far away from the factory.    :lol:

Seriously, I've never heard of that message before.  Weird.

• FordIVTteam likes this

#3 OFFLINE   FordIVTteam

FordIVTteam

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 180 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

I have never heard of this message either, HotPotato; I suggest a dealer visit if this continues.

Rebecca

#4 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 760 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

This message has popped up several times recently on my car that, also, has no touchscreen!  Its annoying because you have to turn off the car to get rid of it.  Until you can do so, you have no compass and no efficiency leaves! :rant2:

#5 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 175 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

I have SEL with 203A and I leave the right hand display on the instrument cluster set to Navigation.  The best way I can describe it is every once in great while (like maybe twice so far in the life of the car) it seems like the car has just been started and for whatever reason the GPS is too slow to respond to being polled by the Navigation display in the driver's cluster.  The message typically goes away in a few seconds once NAV has initialized all the way.

Why that same message is showing up on an SE that isn't equipped with navigation I'm not really sure although I heard a rumor on here that all of the cars have GPS receiver built in, they just don't have all the bells and whistles that enable full turn by turn navigation.  I could easily see the compass still using GPS receiver data in a very reduced way.

#6 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max E

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:41 AM

I have SEL with 203A and I leave the right hand display on the instrument cluster set to Navigation.  The best way I can describe it is every once in great while (like maybe twice so far in the life of the car) it seems like the car has just been started and for whatever reason the GPS is too slow to respond to being polled by the Navigation display in the driver's cluster.  The message typically goes away in a few seconds once NAV has initialized all the way.

Why that same message is showing up on an SE that isn't equipped with navigation I'm not really sure although I heard a rumor on here that all of the cars have GPS receiver built in, they just don't have all the bells and whistles that enable full turn by turn navigation.  I could easily see the compass still using GPS receiver data in a very reduced way.

This is true. Non-nav cars will have the GPS receiver still. If memory serves I think our cars are new enough that 911 Assist is able to provide those GPS coordinates to 911 dispatchers upon request (unlike cellular e911, the car will actively speak out the coordinates on the call). It is also used for Sync Services based navigation which you are able to use. This was even a thing was back in early v1 Sync systems with the 2 line text screens.

Not sure what else. Generally the compass has its own hardware but it might be integrated with the GPS unit. GPS doesn't do well determining orientation at a standstill.

Edited by cr08, 10 October 2017 - 06:41 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,785 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

This is true. Non-nav cars will have the GPS receiver still. If memory serves I think our cars are new enough that 911 Assist is able to provide those GPS coordinates to 911 dispatchers upon request (unlike cellular e911, the car will actively speak out the coordinates on the call). It is also used for Sync Services based navigation which you are able to use. This was even a thing was back in early v1 Sync systems with the 2 line text screens.

Not sure what else. Generally the compass has its own hardware but it might be integrated with the GPS unit. GPS doesn't do well determining orientation at a standstill.

The GPSM provides the heading (compass direction) to the Instrument Panel Cluster for display.

#8 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 760 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:35 PM

GPS is there alright - you can pull the data from OBDII with Forscan.  Heading is in 1 degree increments and changes smooth as silk.  Its frustrating that the compass is programmed to jump 45 degrees at a time.  They should have spent more time programming the compass and less time on the leaves!

• obob likes this

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: screen, error message, lost communication

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·