Announcing Advance Notice 14C03 Compliance Recall

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, just had this recall done.  So far so good.  It took about 2 weeks for the dealer to get the part.

It's essentially a 3 step process:

1. Have dealer inspect seat frames to determine if defective
  2. Wait a couple of weeks for the parts.
  3. Have dealer replace defective frame/s.

I dropped the car overnight on both dealer trips so I don't know how long steps 1 and 3 really take.  My dealer did a good job; no damage of any kind to the "leather" upholstery.  Only the driver's seat needed replacing.

They also did the 14S04 air bag reprogramming recall at the same time.

Cheers.

Edited by Bill-N

We're on Step 3 (tomorrow) with our Energi. Since we have a 50 minute trip to the dealer's, leaving it overnight isn't very practical for us (but, we're retired so no demanding schedules--it's our sole vehicle, too). I will report back on time for the job (which is what I was browsing for) in case no one else does so between now and the morning.

Thanks for that. Half day is what I thought. We're set up for 8:30, but who knows when they'll start. The service center at Sunrise Ford is so busy.

Edit: we're back with a loaner. They said it would be all day at least because it's a very involved procedure.

Edited by rhea

• 3 weeks later...

My C-max was an August 2012 build, and I did not get the recall notice, but this has me a bit concerned.  Based on this, I don't get a warm feeling that they can be certain they have all the VIN's covered.   

I recall feeling a pop/clunk in the driver seat several times since I purchased it, but I wouldn't be able to reproduce it (thats what raised my suspicion regarding this recall and my vehicle).  For folks who have had the problem, was it noticeable, or did you ever have a reason to suspect a problem?

My C-max was an August 2012 build, and I did not get the recall notice, but this has me a bit concerned.  Based on this, I don't get a warm feeling that they can be certain they have all the VIN's covered.   

I recall feeling a pop/clunk in the driver seat several times since I purchased it, but I wouldn't be able to reproduce it (thats what raised my suspicion regarding this recall and my vehicle).  For folks who have had the problem, was it noticeable, or did you ever have a reason to suspect a problem?

I didn't notice any problem. :)

Paul

Thanks Bill and Paul.  Thats bad news for me since I cannot duplicate the noise.  I think I am going to request that the dealer take a look at the seat when I take it in for the other recalls, but only if they will cover it under the warranty.  Even though my vehicle was built near the beginning of the recall period, it seems unlikely the seats will get checked under the recall based on an initial discussion with the dealer (service advisor is going to check).  I called the Ford 800 number, and they were nice, but not much help.  Basically if the VIN is not in the computer, they probably won't look at it under the recall.

How could your VIN not be in Ford's system? Assuming it's a covered item, and with the recall that may not matter, you should b e covered.

I'd contact one of our Ford reps, Rebecca or now Crystal by PM (so your personal data isn't in the clear) as they're here to help with just this kind of thing!

HAve fun,

Frank

How could your VIN not be in Ford's system? Assuming it's a covered item, and with the recall that may not matter, you should b e covered.

I'd contact one of our Ford reps, Rebecca or now Crystal by PM (so your personal data isn't in the clear) as they're here to help with just this kind of thing!

HAve fun,

Frank

Sorry I should have clarified, the VIN was not in the computer as being part of the recall.  I am waiting for the service advisor to check if they will still check the seats though.

I still think it would be covered under warranty. :)

Paul

Thanks, I hope that is the case, however this is not something I can duplicate yet. 

Update - nope, they cannot duplicate it, so they cannot check it (I cannot duplicate it either, so hard to argue with that logic).  I did not push this beyond the SA since I feel that sooner of later Ford is gonna expand the recall if they find more seats outside the recall scope that have provable problems, and are fixed under warranty.  I get these safety related recalls done ASAP, and I don't like waiting for something like this to break, but I tried.  I doubt that anyone who gets this recall (and has the seat frame replaced) will be shown the part they pulled, but it would be interesting to know if that happens, what the problem "looked" like.

Edited by CNCGeek

• 1 month later...

Does anyone think it's time for someone to initiate a Class Action against Ford to force them to buy back any and all Ford C-Max vehicles IF the owners are sick and tired of all the recalls?  The car has become a bad joke and not only that, "Consumer Reports" lists it as one of the four least reliable vehicles!  Even if you like your C-Max, can you say "very low trade-in and resale value"?  How do we initiate a Class Action suit involving these vehicles?  I'd appreciate some info.  Thanks.

I've been reading all of these earlier posts today. I know I'm replying late to your post, but YES, I agree about starting a Class Action suit.   I can't trade it in because it's not worth much now.  Not sure how it's done, but am willing.

• 2 weeks later...

My seat also makes a weird popping sound and seems to slide a little like it isn't latched, but it only does it every once in awhile. I haven't tried to have it serviced because I, too, knew I wouldn't be able to replicate it on the spot. I hate getting the "woman seeking car service" eye roll and knew that would happen. My VIN also isn't included and I didn't know about this recall for others, but now I'm concerned I'm not overreacting in thinking my seat is sliding and not latched in place sometimes...

Thanks, I hope that is the case, however this is not something I can duplicate yet.

Update - nope, they cannot duplicate it, so they cannot check it (I cannot duplicate it either, so hard to argue with that logic). I did not push this beyond the SA since I feel that sooner of later Ford is gonna expand the recall if they find more seats outside the recall scope that have provable problems, and are fixed under warranty. I get these safety related recalls done ASAP, and I don't like waiting for something like this to break, but I tried. I doubt that anyone who gets this recall (and has the seat frame replaced) will be shown the part they pulled, but it would be interesting to know if that happens, what the problem "looked" like.

I've been reading all of these earlier posts today. I know I'm replying late to your post, but YES, I agree about starting a Class Action suit. I can't trade it in because it's not worth much now. Not sure how it's done, but am willing.

Me, too! I love driving my C-Max, but sooo many problems and recalls and issues. I have spent so much time without my car (having to get a rental and/or loaner with terrible gas mileage) or sitting in the service center's waiting area for repairs and upgrades and recalls. My car won't be worth anything when I try to trade/sell because there have been so many issues with the 2013 model. I wish I would have waited a year for the 2014.