Oil Viscosity Specification for 2013 & 2014 C-Max Hybrid/Energi

Just saw this on OASIS:

Apr 16 2014 4848 -2013 - 2014 C-Max, Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi - Oil Viscosity Specification

For 2014 C-Max, Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi, SAE 0W-20 is the initial fill oil and the recommended service oil. The oil viscosity recommendation of SAE 5W-20 on the oil fill caps on some 2014 Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi vehicles may appear to conflict with the owner guide and other service publications which recommend SAE 0W-20 oil. Both SAE 0W-20 oil and SAE 5W-20 oil are approved for use in these vehicles. 2013 C-Max, Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi can also be serviced with either SAE 0W-20 oil and SAE 5W-20 oil.

I always presumed that we would eventually get the ok from Ford to use the 0W20 full synthetic in our 2013 C-MAX(s), and now it seems that we have it.  I had feared that it would take a year or so.  I am pleasantly surprised that the green light came this quickly.

I am still disappointed that we had to endure all of the mis-infomation about possible engine design changes, etc. and the bad advice that we should not use the 0W20.

Big thanks to ceemax71 for posting this !!!!!

I don't k know anything about oil. Without having to learn the entire history of it, what's the short answer of what is the difference to us? Does the 0-20 get better fuel economy?

Presumably yes.  The was the stated reason why Ford made the change.

Others have posted opinion of mpg improvement.

I believe that I experienced better in my Camry Hybrid, but have not tried it in the C-Max yet.

I don't k know anything about oil. Without having to learn the entire history of it, what's the short answer of what is the difference to us? Does the 0-20 get better fuel economy?

Ford says it will improve fuel economy.  Link

DEARBORN, Mich - Underscoring its commitment to fuel economy leadership, Ford Motor Company today said it is upgrading the 2014 Ford C-MAX Hybrid, which will go on sale in December. The company also is changing the way it tests and labels the 2013 C-MAX Hybrid for fuel economy to better match performance and improve customer satisfaction.

The upgrades build on powertrain software updates Ford announced last month for the 2013 C-MAX Hybrid. The 2014 C-MAX also will benefit from several hardware changes, including:

• Gearing changes that result in a more efficient transmission drive ratio
  • New hood seal, front and rear tire deflectors, A-pillar moldings and the addition of rear lift gate deflectors to improve vehicle aerodynamics
  • New engine oil with reduced friction

The enhancements to the 2014 C-MAX Hybrid are expected to improve customers’ on-road fuel economy, especially at highway speeds.

Mobil says it improves fuel economy. Link

What role does viscosity play in a motor oil? 

Engineers work to establish an optimal viscosity for an oil, based on load and speed conditions. They balance lighter – or low-viscosity – oil, which provides little resistance to motion thereby saving fuel and efficiently transferring horsepower, with a heavier – or high-viscosity – oil that resists being squeezed out of the contact area between metal surfaces.

Edited by ceemax71

Here's a good rgeneral eference, and his viscosity paper.

On the second link, scroll down to the first table, SAE engine oil viscosity. The left column is the viscosity rating. A 5W20 oil has the low temperature performance of a 5W oil and the high temperature performance of a 20 weight oil. Compare the 0W and the 5W ratings to understand the difference between 5W20 and 0W20. 0W has lower viscosity at -30F than 5W at -25F.

Now, given that the cold viscosity ratings are maximum values, a 0W20 oil meets 5W20 specs. That's what made this whole things ludicrous.

Have fun,

Frank

Now, given that the cold viscosity ratings are maximum values, a 0W20 oil meets 5W20 specs. That's what made this whole things ludicrous.

Exactly.  

Just another example IMO of how Ford seems to "not quite understand" how important "correct communications" affects their credibility.  Having a Motorcraft Product Catalog applications chart showing 0W20 is recommended for MY2013 and MY2014 over 2 months ago and then having the Ford customer service rep on this site contradicting the applications chart with this post:  "I have confirmation that you should use 5W-20 for the 2013. For 2014, 0W-20 is recommended, but you can still use 5W-20 if you'd like" shows Ford's indifferent attitude towards their customers.     

Before I retired I worked for a major equipment manufacturer. An old saying there was, "it's not like this thing is going to be flying overhead at 20,000 feet." But in practice the general attitude was to produce a most infallible product. My last few years was at an engineering facility where I could see the practice in design and technical publications. All you have to do is leaf through our CMax owner's manual to see this is not the case at Ford. When mentioned to customer relations that items there had no bearing on the CMax, they seemed to be caught off guard. Obviously, many in the Ford information chain get treated with disregard. Worst of all, the ones who are customer facing.

Ford folks lurking here, please help keep us up to date.

To keep this post relevant to the original topic, just think "slippery Ford management". ;)

To keep this post relevant to the original topic, just think "slippery Ford management". ;)

Okay, to continue the relevance, lest we forget to keep the pressure on Ford. ;)   As I've said before, the CS Reps are the last to know.  Unfortunately, CS Reps take the heat for the "slippery management".  Raj Nair may be the most "well lubricated" of them - his cockamamie reasons he alluded to as to why reviewers weren't getting anywhere near the original EPA 47 MPG.  

Why can't the CS Rep find out exactly what hardware gearing changes were made to the 2014 Hybrid that results in a more efficient transmission drive ratio?   When is Ford going to let us know this and all the effects of the "aero" changes on the 2014 Hybrid performance?  I guess we need cleanmpg.com or others to test the 2014 vs the 2013 Hybrid to know what the effect of the 2014 "efficiency" changes might be.  Why all the "slipperiness" Ford?

• 1 year later...