Ford C-MAX Monthly Sales Chart

kostby

..................... I will not "ignore" the dead battery / no start issue (which apparently continues) and the consequences (reliability rating)  even though my C-Max has not had the issue. 

Nonsense to suggest that the battery issue of some is being ignored here by me or anyone else when there is a dedicated section for battery issues and many dedicated threads; or any other issue for that matter.. Real people, real issues, real responses .....................real commiseration, real help - hopefully.  I give; you win, beat the CR drum (& their questionable results) over & over & over ............ such beautiful music.

Edited by C-MaxSea

The vast (majority) of Ford C-Max Owners have had zero Battery problems with their Vehicle.  To insinuate that this Car is a Dud or a Defective product because a small minority of owners have had some issues is absurd.  How many used 2013 Ford C-Max`s have you seen for sale either on Dealers Lots or at Auction Houses?  Near Zero!  If the Vehicle was that bad, disgruntled Owners would be dumping them like crazy, right?

C-MaxSea, if you have facts that the C-Max data is questionable please post.  Innuendos don't work.  I am not beating the CR drum. I am simply pointing out the likely reason why the poor ratings from consumers.  I never stated that the battery issue is being ignored by you or anyone on this forum.  The quotes around "ignore" is simply indicating that I will continue to link the battery issue to the likely consequences (poor C-Max reliability) ratings in response to the "Enough guys."  I will be clearer next time.

The vast (majority) of Ford C-Max Owners have had zero Battery problems with their Vehicle.  To insinuate that this Car is a Dud or a Defective product because a small minority of owners have had some issues is absurd.  How many used 2013 Ford C-Max`s have you seen for sale either on Dealers Lots or at Auction Houses?  Near Zero!  If the Vehicle was that bad, disgruntled Owners would be dumping them like crazy, right?

Right and Wrong. :)  We don't know the extent of the battery issue but it's likely small (maybe affects just a very small % of C-Maxes).  But if other manufacturers don't have that issue with their vehicles and if a C-Max owner has had the issue multiple times because Ford can't fix it or Ford says it's fixed with software updates, replacing the battery, connectors and so forth but the problem occurred again, the effective % increases (because of more trips to the dealer).  So, the C-Max then gets a poor rating in that category than other manufacturers. That doesn't mean the C-Max is a Dud. I wouldn't expect anyone to dump the car because someone else had a no-start / battery issue especially since it is an likely to most an inconvenience and not a high out-of-pocket cost.   

Who has insinuated that the C-Max is a Dud or Defective but perhaps certain owners who have had issues and perhaps got Ford to buy back their car. CR and JDPowers hasn't. 

Surveys, EPA mileage estimates. reviews, forums and the like are tools a prospective buyer may consider when purchasing a car.  Consumers' risk aversion varies.  Some may see a "black" circle to be avoided at all costs, others may research and assess the underlying risk issues causing the black circle, some may believe they can hedge the risk, others may ignore the black circle as "hogwash", and some may never get the word.  If Ford wants to increase reliability perception, they've got to change the "black circle" to a "red circle" and there will be virtually no risk to avert for this no start issue and sales may increase as the prospective buyers' pool will have increased.

Ill informed sales agents and dealerships would be my guess on lack of sales in my part of  North America.  It is so bad that it has influenced us on our perception of Ford.  We have a great car with few issues (knock on wood), but we dread going into the dealership as they are so indifferent and lacking knowledge about the C-Max. After the sales woman who ordered our car left the dealership, it was a total turn around in atmosphere concerning hybrids at our dealership.

EDITED 07-02-2014 to remove old tables and charts

C-MAX Energi Sales for April 2014 were reported at 525 here: http://insideevs.com/april-2014-plug-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/

By subtraction from reported combined sales of C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi total of 2111 reported here: http://corporate.ford.com/doc/ir-20140501-april-sales-press-release.pdf

that means 1586 C-MAX Hybrids were sold.

Edited by kostby

Don't forget the recent NO SALE/NO DEMO seat recall affecting remaining 2013's that would affect April sales of both Fusion and C-MAX

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=14V164000

And the worst winter weather in 30 to 40 years in many parts of the midwest and east, affecting most December, January, and February sales

Edited by kostby

The effect of weather should be in the total sales trend curve.  When comparing winter 2012/13 with winter 2013/14, the winter trends look very similar and virtually the same sales volume.  I would expect hybrid sales to be affected similarly during these periods.   One sees Dec and Feb sales higher than Jan sales in both the C-Max and Fusion hybrids (like sales for all autos) in the winter periods but the sales volume of the C-Max declined significantly in the 2013/14 winter from the 2012/13 period - a decline of about 60%.  So, IMO weather wasn't a significant independent factor in the decline of C-Max sales during the 2013/14 winter period.

If you assume about 3200 Ford US dealerships and every dealer had one C-Max Hybrid on site that's a two month supply at current sales levels. So, I can see why many dealers (especially dealers in the "country") won't have any on site. When I bought mine in late Dec. 2012, Phoenix dealers had about 2 on site, on average available for sale. The closest dealer (4 miles) never had one on site that wasn't sold when I began looking in Nov. 2012.

• 3 weeks later...

I would expect that the two most recent DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLDS - Compliance Recall 14C03 for seat-back welds for 2013's built from July 2012 through May 28, 2013, and Safety Recall 14S04 - Reprogram Restraints Control Module that includes cars built from 2012 through February 24, 2014 together have significantly reduced every dealer's ability to sell C-MAXes from inventory.  :sad:

The closest Ford dealership for us has at least 20-30 Cmaxes on the lot.when I drive on the street back home from work (when freeway is backed up) I drive past them all the time and see them all right in front next to the sidewalk so all can see.

I go to Roger Dunn in North Hollywood and Sun Rise Ford has them all lined up as well. Pretty. Would luv to take them and show'em my MPGs, crap all over the sticker labels for sure. Then again, my CMax is a lemon after all.... :secret:

• 2 weeks later...

Ford May 2014 sales release:

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2014/06/03/may2014sales.pdf

2,833 C-MAX combined sales, no breakout between Hybrid and Energi models

Total is still a 23.7% decline from May 2013 sales, but a 700-unit increase from last month.

I'll let Plus 3 Golfer post updated charts, I'm out of forum 'space' for attachments.

Edited by kostby

Ford May 2014 sales release:

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2014/06/03/may2014sales.pdf

2,833 C-MAX combined sales, no breakout between Hybrid and Energi models

Total is still a 23.7% decline from May 2013 sales, but a 700-unit increase from last month.

I'll let Plus 3 Golfer post updated charts, I'm out of forum 'space' for attachments.

Last month's year-over-year decline was 42%, so May's decline of 23% doesn't look nearly as bad as it first seems.

Figures lie and liars figure...

http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Subtracting the Plug-in Scorecard number of 742 C-MAX Energi models sold, 2091 C-MAX Hybrids were sold in May, 2014.

Energi sales are up 64.8 % from a year earlier.

C-MAX Hybrid sales down 35.9% from 3261 in May 2013, but still the best month since August 2013 when 2411 were sold, and the 12th best month of Hybrid sales since the car went on sale 21 months ago.

Fusion Energi sales nearly doubled from April to 1342, outselling Tesla Model S for the first time ever, and making Fusion Energi the 4th-best-selling plug-in in May 2014.

That $4000 price cut (from the 2013 MSRP) Ford brought to the 2014 Fusion Energi MSRP seems to be working!

EDIT 10-02-2014  CHARTS AND SPREADSHEETS DELETED BECAUSE EACH NEW REPORT CONTAINS ALL PRIOR MONTHS DATA

Edited by kostby

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2940 Combined C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi sales for June 2014

An increase of 107 combined units over May 2014, and best sales month since August 2013.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2014/07/01/june2014sales.pdf

That's a 12.1% decrease from the 3341 combined units sold a year ago during June 2013, but an increase of 3.7% over May 2014 combined sales in a month when Ford and Lincoln combined US retail sales decreased 5.8% and fleet sales decreased by 7%.

I'll update the monthly chart when I get the Hybrid/Energi sales breakout tomorrow (7/2/2014) as posted on http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Edited by kostby

7-2-2014 1250pm chart and data update:

As Bro1999 reported, Ford sold 988 C-MAX Energi's, a 117% increase over June 2013, the 3rd best monthly sales ever, and the best numbers since October 2013.

June C-MAX Hybrid sales calc'd at 1952 were 13th best month, still down 32% from year-ago sales, and down about 7% from the prior month. 

Ford doesn't usually talk about number of selling days in the month like GM does, but it was two fewer than June 2013.

The increases in both C-MAX Hybrid (782 to 988) and Fusion Hybrid sales from 1342 to 1939 also comes when sales of Volt dropped from 3117 to 2347, sales of the Toyota Prius PHV dropped from 2692 to 1571, so Ford might be taking market share away from similarly priced PHV's. The luxury-priced Tesla sales increased form 1000 to 1800.

EDIT 10-02-2014  CHARTS AND SPREADSHEETS DELETED BECAUSE EACH NEW REPORT CONTAINS ALL PRIOR MONTHS DATA

Edited by kostby

• 5 weeks later...

08-04-2014 608pm update

2163 C-MAX Hybrids were sold in July 2014, 12th highest since introduction.

• Best C-MAX Hybrid monthly sales this year, an increase of 72 cars over May 2014.
  • C-MAX Hybrid sales were 4.6% lower than one year ago. That doesn't sound too great until you compare it with the sharp double-digit year-over-year monthly sales decreases that began in October 2013.

831 C-MAX Energi Hybrids were sold in July 2014, 6th highest since introduction, 92% higher than one year ago.

• C-MAX Energi Hybrid sales were the 2nd best monthly sales total this year, and 92% ahead of last year.
  • C-MAX Energi Hybrid is the 6th best-selling plug-in Hybrid in the US, behind 5th place Fusion Energi this year.

2994 Combined C-MAX Sales in August 2014 were the 10th highest monthly total ever.

• 12th best sales month ever for C-MAX Hybrid and 6th best sales month ever for C-MAX Energi
  • Best combined C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi sales in since August 2013, and a slight increase of 54 total units over June, 2014.

FOOTNOTES:

C-MAX Hybrid sales are calculated by subtracting C-MAX Energi monthly sales reported here from C-MAX combined sales reported by Ford here

Edited by kostby

An interesting note that FORD is pushing for Sales of CMAX's  6% SE, 52% SEL and 42% Energi's this from my FORD Dealer's Sales Manager and they aren't an  Electric Dealer so they can't sell Plugin's.  I did an Energi search in the Alanta Area and Dealers have a lot of them down here! :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones