Recreational Towing (behind a motor home)

Regarding the "tire wobble" issue. Seems like it is more prevalent with Blu Ox and not other vendors products? I just purchased a new CMax and looking at Blue Ox products. Are there any RVers experiencing tire wobble and not using Blue Ox products?

We have a Blue Ox base plate but use a Roadmaster tow bar with adapters to the Blue Ox.

Something else to consider, diesel versus gas, our motor home is a gasser Ford F53 chassis which means it's long way from the hitch to the rear axle.

Thx WAB! So are u saying that a long distance from axle to hitch on F 53 is better?

No

IT MIGHT be why we have not had any problems.

I'm going to start another thread about this.

Maybe we can get our engineer members to post their thoughts about why some people are reporting a serious problem while towing their cmax and other members report no towing problems.

To answer the question about the brake system. It's the air force one system, which runs a air line from the motorhome to the CMax which has a cylinder

Attached to the brake peddle, which pushes the brake pedal. It's hard to fine a place to run the cable , but we had to run it threw the right side firewall.

The hardest part of the installing the brake system. Sorry no photos , no way to get the camera in there.

I pulled the car in neutral with engine off on way home from Florida, I did start the car ( so the power steering would be on) while making tight turns in

Parking lots. So far the new tires are ok. On rough two lane roads I going to unhook the car and drive it to make sure

• 1 month later...

First post on this forum...which I've used extensively (thanks for those that came before me...was very useful in the decisions I made with regard to towing setup).

We recently purchased a new Class C motorhome...we wanted to be able to go into some of the smaller parks and national forest sites, so a 30-foot Class C was closer to our needs at this time.  Forest River Sunseeker 2800QSF, Ford E450 chassis, with 7500lb tow capacity.  As we wanted a tow vehicle on the lighter side, within a few days of the RV purchase we purchased a used 2013 C-MAX SEL (all the options including push-button start) from CarMax with a bit over 31K miles.  Another reason for the C-MAX is that the normal non-RV use of the vehicle would be as a commuting car for my wife...so daily mpg was important.

I installed a BlueOx tow plate and the ReadyBrute Elite tow bar.  I'm an engineer, and the operational principle for the braking aspect of the the ReadyBrute Elite sold me...nothing to break or go wrong with electronic brake systems...it's quite simply idiot proof.  I also installed a charge line from the RV to keep the battery charged while towing, had an alignment done with the most positive camber I could get (close to +5°) to help with centering, and installed the BlueOx diode kit so I could use the existing brake/turn lights.

We returned yesterday from our first trip with this setup...2500 miles round-trip to Yellowstone.  Setup performed flawlessly...had zero battery issues, no death wobble (I think a proper alignment with as much positive caster helps with this) and no miles accumulated (yay!)  Car towed like it was barely there.  Followed the normal accessory mode procedure, and left car unlocked most of the time for convenience (but used the manual lock when we ate lunch, etc.).  At times I caught the wife driving the rig at speeds in excess of 75mph!!!

We are very pleased with this setup...glad we decided on the C-MAX for our towed vehicle.

Edited by hilgert

• 4 months later...

Thx WAB! So are u saying that a long distance from axle to hitch on F 53 is better?

No

IT MIGHT be why we have not had any problems.

I'm going to start another thread about this.

Maybe we can get our engineer members to post their thoughts about why some people are reporting a serious problem while towing their cmax and other members report no towing problems.

I finally started a "Death Wobble" thread.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/6326-death-wobble/

• 2 years later...

We need help please. We’re towing our 2013 CMAX and having battery issues. We have a trickle charge set up and we put the car I. Auxiliary mode by:

Start it

Run through gears

Put in Neutral

Take foot off brake then press Start button to turn off

Count to 15, leave foot OFF brake and press Start button to turn on in auxiliary mode.

• 1 month later...

We need help please. We’re towing our 2013 CMAX and having battery issues. We have a trickle charge set up and we put the car I. Auxiliary mode by:

Start it

Run through gears

Put in Neutral

Take foot off brake then press Start button to turn off

Count to 15, leave foot OFF brake and press Start button to turn on in auxiliary mode.

What do you mean by “a trickle charger set up”.  A typical trickle charger output will likely not be able to maintain the battery in ACC mode. The current draw of the car will likely be more than the trickle charger can supply.  I would make sure the kit wired from the towing vehicle to your C-Max can provide at least 15 A.

• 1 year later...

I'm kind of new to this forum because I really never saw a need to look into it.  I've towed behind my RV since 2008.  Pulled a Jeep Wrangler and an Edge until 2013 when I bought a C-MAX that I still tow now (it's a great toad!  It's more aerodynamic than the other two and gets me the best mileage on the RV) (it also has room for my two Saint Bernard dogs to ride in (no, not while I'm towing)  The two problems 1. Dead auto battery upon arrival after a tow  .2. C-MAX getting kind of bouncy back there when turning.  I had a lot of contact with Ford local service and Ford Customer Service.  The dead battery solution was easy but I solved that problem  and the bouncy problem by correcting the Ford folks.  I didn't know that I was solving it until it all came together in the end.  My initial complaint was that when you toe with the ignition ON the odometer on the C-Max left right on recording it (gets you to the end of the warranty faster)  Had to prove that by letting them see it when I tow.  Went back and forth for a month until Ford said it's OK to tow with the ignition on.  (As you would expect I have a copy of that notice in a desk file .  Trust me ,it's OK, haven't broke anything in 8 years of towing.  The arriving with a dead battery was solved when I still had the Edge.  Owners manual says basically "don't leave the car in neutral over night because it WILL DRAIN THE BATTERY.  What's the difference, home in the garage or six hour tow?  Solution hot line from RV to C-MAX battery.  Stringing a separate line a pain and not too pretty.  Suck it up and go to a 7 pin connector on the C-MAX.  One of the two extra pins is a hot wire from the RV. Just run a short line from the new connector to the battery positive terminal and the RV will keep the C-MAX battery charged and on a common ground with the RV.  New RV to C-MAX cable is pricey but worth the bucks.  Towing with the ignition ON  solved the bouncing around problem.  It eliminated it with exception om waking sharp turns on really wet pavement, but my Edge did that too.  I think the electric steering is fighting with the pull direction by trying to maintain a straight line.  Kind of a long post.  Nice meeting you all. 

Edited by Big Dogs

• 3 months later...
On 8/25/2015 at 11:53 AM, ebourlet said:

Towed my 2014 CMax Energi for the first time yesterday. First time I hit the brakes the alarm went off on the car. It sent a text message to my wife the alarm was going off she called from work all worried. Figured out I have to leave a key fob in the car while towing. Never read that anywhere.

We had the same problem with our 2014 CMax Hybrid.  Did leaving a fob in the car work?  Does the presence of the fob keep the car alarm system from arming?

• 3 months later...

Just hooked up my 2013 C Max SEL to my RV using DEMCO AIRFORCE 1 Air-brake Controller. After 2 trips, all seems well, except......

I followed the directions about being in NEUTRAL and putting it in ACCESSORY MODE. When I lock the doors either by touching the door handle or using the fob, after starting underway, my theft alarm goes off !!  Horn beeps and flashers sometimes go on - not all the time.

My odometer does not record miles traveled (how great), my front wheels steer in the direction of travel (steering wheel unlocked), all the signal and brake lights work.  If I don't lock the car, no alarm. I tried locking with key, and seems that the alarm doesn't sound, but the jury is still out on that one.

Has anyone experienced this variant ??