One-year General Report by Smiling Jack

I've finished a year in my 2013 C-Max Energy.  I plan to post a report in the Energi forum, but I thought I would post a few comments here on things common to both the Energi and the Hybrid models for the benefit of those focused on the Hybrid who might not frquent the energi Forum.

(at one year and 3000 miles)

MPG in pure Hybrid mode:

varies from low 40's to low 50's on return trips when I have no EV-only battery capacity left because I used all of the EV-only range on the trip out.  I presume I would have seen the same with the Hybrid model.

Reliability:

I have not needed any service or repairs at all.

Dead battery:

I have not had that problem with this car.  I did have that problem several times in my Camry Hybrid's first year of service.

Recalls & TSB's:

I have had the recall notice for the door chime fix, but since it does not actually do anything with the keyless ignition I have not bothered to get it done.

I could use the double-kick hatch opening fix, but it rarely troubles me, so I have not bothered with that either.

The headliner fix did not apply to my car, nor did the defective seatback problem.

Engine oil:

Not changed yet.  I plan to switch to the 0W20 synthetic when I change oil.

Noises:

none.

Roominess:

Best I've had since my 1975 Coupe Deville.

Utility:

Best I've had since my 1968 Ford LTD Country Squire.

A/C  (added April 30):

A/C is a very important thing here in Texas.  We had many daily highs over 100 degrees here last summer. 

My C-max puts out colder air than any other car I've ever had.

One day last week with outside temperature in the low 90's I measured below 40 degrees at the A/C outlet.

Overall experience:

Excellent.

Edited by Smiling Jack

Today is the 365th day since I picked up my Ford (leased on 4/30/2013, for 36 months, 45k miles).

So far I have put on her a little over 12,200 miles.

Apart from 13 visits to the dealership (blah, blah, blah - the 1st one after only 350 miles, almost all of them were gps_and_audio_system-related) - I DO LOVE THE CAR. 

It failed only a few times, I called the assistance only one time (dead battery blah, blah, blah). Otherwise - the car is just awesome.

First of all - it looks, ekhem, handsome. 

Secondly - it is really comfortable, spacious, cleverly-thought-thru

Thirdly - fuel efficiency is a valued thing for me - and the car delivers! (apart from one period after one update - it drastically dropped, but they sorted it out after a few weeks) (at the moment after the major update back in October - it is 39.2 mpg, usually I finish my longer trips at ~40 mpg)

Fourthly - I know I will spend with her only up to two more years...  :cry:   leasing S**KS

If they fixed all the issues the car would be just perfect. 

PS: After 11 months I was able to find a seating position comfortable enough for me so my limbs are no longer going numb (left leg in particular)!

PS2: Can't wait until the May/June road trip (NJ-NF*-HM**-GB***-DC-NJ)

* - Niagara Falls

** - Hershey Antic Cars Museum

*** - Gettysburg

Or maybe Florida??? Who knows?

PS3: What do you think, will FMC come up with the more aggressive A/C setup for the summer? It used to be freezing-cool-effective - now it is more EU-style (nearly non-existent)

Edited by pjurek99

Recalls & TSB's:

I have had the recall notice for the door chime fix, but since it does not actually do anything with the keyless ignition I have not bothered to get it done.

If I understand correctly, it ONLY affects the keyless ignition vehicles. The difference it makes is when you open the door with the engine on and the car in drive - before the recall, it does not chime in this scenario, I tested and confirmed it. Most people never experience this condition because even if you accidentally leave the drive system engaged, you probably have the car in park. 

I am taking it in for that (and the PCM reprogram and the headliner replacement and my first oil change) tomorrow. 

PS3: What do you think, will FMC come up with the more aggressive A/C setup for the summer? It used to be freezing-cool-effective - now it is more EU-style (nearly non-existent)

It will be a year for me at the end of the month, and my A/C seems the same as it was on day one. I would hate to suggest another dealer check, but  . . . .

I failed to mention the A/C performance in my original poste here.  I will editiit to include the following:

A/C is a very important thing here in Texas.  We had many daily highs over 100 degrees here last summer. 

My C-max puts out colder air than any other car I've ever had.

One day last week with outside temperature in the low 90's I measured below 40 degrees at the A/C outlet.

Edited by Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack,

I am not very knowledgeable about the Energi so a few questions:

1) Did you install a special charger in your garage or do you use a 120v extension cord?

2) After a full night's charge, what is a realistic EV-only range?

3) Do you find that you are plugging in at one time of day (in the evening for example) or do you constantly plug in when the opportunity arises? In other words, do you fill up once or get multiple smaller charges over time?

4) Do you plug in only at home or have you found chargers in other locations?

Yes, around 40F out the center vent is fairly typical with fan on high and temp set to minimum as the controls will regulate the compressor to prevent icing of the evaporator core.  My AC is fine in AZ even above 110F.

pjurek99, the thermometer test is very reliable in assessing the AC performance.  Give it a try and report back.  Four (Nissan, MB, and 2 VWs) out of my last 5 vehicles have all been around 40F. If it's not below around 45F than something is likely wrong.  I did have a 1996 Maxima where the temp never got below 50F and the PA dealer wouldn't do anything under warranty having run his checks. In AZ (then my son's car) when the temp got near 100F, it wouldn't provide sufficient cooling but was bearable.  I believe it needed a new compressor right from the factory.  

Plus 3 Golfer,

The A/C was working fine until they reprogrammed the system with that recall (EV mode up to 82mph, grill shutters and other stuff).

Then it became just satisfactory/needing-improvement. 

I will check on that as soon as the temperature goes above 70 F (maybe tomorrow).

Plus 3 Golfer,

The A/C was working fine until they reprogrammed the system with that recall (EV mode up to 82mph, grill shutters and other stuff).

Then it became just satisfactory/needing-improvement. 

I will check on that as soon as the temperature goes above 70 F (maybe tomorrow).

At 70F you should have no issues reaching about 40F. It should also only take about one minute (put fan on high, and temp. set point to minimum).  If it takes a long time to reach about 40F, that is also an issue.  IIRC, the update did something with the AC control logic to make use of AC more efficient.  Is it just taking more time to cool the car or can you not get the car to a comfortable level when temps are high?  

I will run the test on my car this afternoon when ambient is into the 80s.  We might hit 100F over the weekend and I'll run the test again.

EDIT: I ran the test after a trip to the barber (but forgot to take my phone to get precise timing but it will vary depending on initial conditions).  Ambient was 84F,  inside of car was 92F, car was parked.  I pushed the start button, set temp to low and auto (I assume fan was near Max but forgot to check).  It took about one minute plus for the center vent temp. to fall to 50F and about 2 minutes plus for temp to reach 40F.  

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Smiling Jack,

I am not very knowledgeable about the Energi so a few questions:

1) Did you install a special charger in your garage or do you use a 120v extension cord?

2) After a full night's charge, what is a realistic EV-only range?

3) Do you find that you are plugging in at one time of day (in the evening for example) or do you constantly plug in when the opportunity arises? In other words, do you fill up once or get multiple smaller charges over time?

4) Do you plug in only at home or have you found chargers in other locations?

Rifleman,

There is a separate C-Max Energi Forum.  Lots of Energi specific info there.

To answer your questions directly:

I have used only the 120-v charger that came with thecar.

Range on a full charge depends not only on driving conditions, but very greatly on climate control system usage.  With no heat or A/C use, I often get over 20 miles, but not much more. (Others have managed 30 miles or even more.)  With A/C use, 15 miles is more usual for me.  With use of heat, my range is about 10 to 15 miles.

I usually plug in whenever the car is in the garage.  If I have close to a full charge, I sometimes skip it.  I have only ever charged up at home.

Jack

If I understand correctly, it ONLY affects the keyless ignition vehicles. The difference it makes is when you open the door with the engine on and the car in drive - before the recall, it does not chime in this scenario, I tested and confirmed it. Most people never experience this condition because even if you accidentally leave the drive system engaged, you probably have the car in park. 

I am taking it in for that (and the PCM reprogram and the headliner replacement and my first oil change) tomorrow. 

Noah,

Thanks for this info,  I suppose I need to revise my view based on your post, but:

1. The problem for this recall was described in terms of what happens when the "key" is left in the ignition, and others have posted that the recall service made no change in their cars with keyless ignitions.

2. My car (without the recall service) does, in fact, sound tones if the driver's door is opened with the car turned on and ready to drive, regardless of what gear the shifter has selected.  What would be the change in this behavior if I had the recall service done?

Noah,

Thanks for this info,  I suppose I need to revise my view based on your post, but:

1. The problem for this recall was described in terms of what happens when the "key" is left in the ignition, and others have posted that the recall service made no change in their cars with keyless ignitions.

2. My car (without the recall service) does, in fact, sound tones if the driver's door is opened with the car turned on and ready to drive, regardless of what gear the shifter has selected.  What would be the change in this behavior if I had the recall service done?

Not "Ready to drive" (the green icon with a car over bidirectional arrows), "transmission in drive" (gear selector lever positioned at "D"). 

However, either I was incorrect, or they failed to do that reprogram - the chime still does not sound when the car is Read To Drive, the gear selector is in Drive, and the door is open (only when the door is in Park). 

Not "Ready to drive" (the green icon with a car over bidirectional arrows), "transmission in drive" (gear selector lever positioned at "D"). 

However, either I was incorrect, or they failed to do that reprogram - the chime still does not sound when the car is Read To Drive, the gear selector is in Drive, and the door is open (only when the door is in Park). 

To be clear, and for what it is worth:

In my 2013 C-max Energi, I do get the chimes if the door is opened with the car "ready to drive" and gear selector in "D" or in  any other position, P ,R, N, D, or L.

And, I have NOT had the recall service done for this.

Edited by Smiling Jack

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished a year in my 2013 C-Max Energy.  I plan to post a report in the Energi forum, but I thought I would post a few comments here on things common to both the Energi and the Hybrid models for the benefit of those focused on the Hybrid who might not frquent the energi Forum.

(at one year and 3000 miles)

MPG in pure Hybrid mode:

varies from low 40's to low 50's on return trips when I have no EV-only battery capacity left because I used all of the EV-only range on the trip out.  I presume I would have seen the same with the Hybrid model.

Say, I have question about acceleration in EV mode.  My C Max Hybrid, with the small battery, lets me power up from a stoplight with a limitation of about 30 KW once I reach 10 mph.  So, the acceleration is okay but not terrific.  I wonder, with the larger battery in the Energie, do you get better acceleration from a stop, say , from 0 to 15 mph?

I ask this because a friend has a 2013 Prius and he accelerates really briskly from a standstill.  Evidently, he is allowed to suck power from the battery at a great rate.

Say, I have question about acceleration in EV mode.  My C Max Hybrid, with the small battery, lets me power up from a stoplight with a limitation of about 30 KW once I reach 10 mph.  So, the acceleration is okay but not terrific.  I wonder, with the larger battery in the Energie, do you get better acceleration from a stop, say , from 0 to 15 mph?

I ask this because a friend has a 2013 Prius and he accelerates really briskly from a standstill.  Evidently, he is allowed to suck power from the battery at a great rate.

Strictly subjective, but low end street speed acceleration in EV mode seems quite brisk to me, and that's by comparison to some big v-8's Ive had.

Plus, with ICE plus Electric motor, while the Energi is no drag racer, acceleration seems plenty good for stoplight getaway or for freeway entrance (in fact, EV mode is usually good enough for freewayentrance)  and adequate for passing - say from 60 to 70.  I expect that highway acceleration form 70 to 90 is probably not good, but I do not think I will be doing that any more in any event.

The maximum power in EV mode is limited in both cars by how much the battery can provide. The traction motor has a maximum rating of 88kW in both cars but the battery in the Hybrid can only supply about 33kW (If I recall correctly) while the one in the Energi is rated at 68kW. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The maximum power in EV mode is limited in both cars by how much the battery can provide. The traction motor has a maximum rating of 88kW in both cars but the battery in the Hybrid can only supply about 33kW (If I recall correctly) while the one in the Energi is rated at 68kW. 

Sounds right to me.  68 KW would be some fine acceleration.  Perhaps in a few years, when my C Max hybrid battery is near the end of its life, a replacement will be juicier. Not that I'm complaining though.