Use of a Battery a Tender

hayesdt

Have any of you used a Battery Tender (or comparable trickle / slow) charger for the 12 volt battery in your C Max? Motorcycle and Scooter riders (myself included) often use them to keep their cycles and scooters charged (which the Battery a Tender does without overcharging). Just wondering if anyone has used one to avoid the 12 volt battery problems so many have reported with hybrids ( yes, I'm told it happens not only with The C a Max but with Toyota and Honda hybrids too!).

Have any of you used a Battery Tender (or comparable trickle / slow) charger for the 12 volt battery in your C Max?

Yes, I have used a Deltran Battery Tender Plus on my C-Max a few times.  I am one of those unfortunate individuals who has experienced multiple instances (9 and counting) of a dead battery in the first 17 months of ownership.

My completely unsubstantiated view is that using this charger forestalls the battery problem.  I seem to go a lot longer between instances of the dead battery when I use the charger.

I note here that I was unable to recover from a dead battery by using this charger.  One Saturday morning, I came out to find my battery had died.  Since I could use a family member's car to get where I needed to go, I decided to put the dead battery on the charger and see if it would recover.  Twenty-five hours later, the light on the battery charger was still red, indicating that it was doing no good.  So I got a jump from a family member's car, drove my C-Max for 45 minutes, then put it back on the battery charger.  Four hours later, the battery was completely charged.  Weird.

The issue I see is most battery Tenders have a low Ampere rating.  It is not meant to be a quick charger.  In addition, if there's a parasitic load of 3-4 A on the battery sometime in the overnight period, a battery tender is unlikely to prevent every dead battery as the drain is likely greater than the capability of the tender. So, eventually the battery will go "dead". 

A battery Tender is good for vehicles driven on an occasional basis and driven for short distances to keep the battery fully charged.

IMO, one needs a portable, rechargeable jump start system or jumper cables plus another vehicle as a better hedge against a dead battery.  I'm not familiar with which jump starts are best but it seems that one will likely have to pay $100+ for a decent one  although Harbor Freight has one for $50.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Yes, I have used a Deltran Battery Tender Plus on my C-Max a few times.  I am one of those unfortunate individuals who has experienced multiple instances (9 and counting) of a dead battery in the first 17 months of ownership.

My completely unsubstantiated view is that using this charger forestalls the battery problem.  I seem to go a lot longer between instances of the dead battery when I use the charger.

I note here that I was unable to recover from a dead battery by using this charger.  One Saturday morning, I came out to find my battery had died.  Since I could use a family member's car to get where I needed to go, I decided to put the dead battery on the charger and see if it would recover.  Twenty-five hours later, the light on the battery charger was still red, indicating that it was doing no good.  So I got a jump from a family member's car, drove my C-Max for 45 minutes, then put it back on the battery charger.  Four hours later, the battery was completely charged.  Weird.

I was wondering if you actually had the 12v battery go dead with a trickle charger connected? :)

Paul

• 5 years later...
20 hours ago, METROVAN3 said:

Hi Cmaxers

When using The battery Tender Jr, Where on the Cmax did you make the connection's, On the battery itself or can you use the jump points up front ?

One should connect the positive of a tender / charger  to the 12 V positive terminal of the battery beneath the Floor of the hatch or the positive post under hood.  The negative should be connected to a chassis ground either the ground post under hood or the chassis ground lug to the left of the 12 V battery (black cable attached to lug) never to the negative post of the 12 V battery.  The negative cable from the battery terminal to the chassis ground lug has a BMS sensor which measures current flow into / out of battery.  The tender / charger current flow to battery is needed for the BMS to work as intended.  So, one does not want to bypass this sensor by connecting either a load or a tender/charger negative directly to the battery terminal.