Aftermarket 12V Battery

hayesdt

Is there a brand of aftermarket 12V battery that fits the C Max, one that is not designated as a Ford product or that is acquired  through one of their 12V battery suppliers? 

Have any of us that have experienced several instances of 12V battery failure tried a 12V battery provided by someone other than your Ford dealer?

From all the posts I have read I doubt there is anything wrong with the 12V battery.  Instead, something is draining it when the car is off.  To me, it looks like a good battery for the application and has a long warranty.  When I had a dead battery it was down around 3 volts.  Any battery will be dead with current drain that takes it that low that fast - my 2 cents.

Odyssey lists this battery (PC1200MJT) with 1200CCA as a replacement for the 590CCA Motorcraft BXT-96R/590 original equipment battery, with the footnote 'Vehicle battery restraints may require modification':

http://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc1200mjt-a?pp=12

I didn't find a 96R series Optima Yellowtop or Redtop battery in a quick search, but there could be other sizes that might fit.

At double the price, and double the CCA amp rating, a higher-capacity battery still won't prevent some malfunctioning module or device that is causing a constant power drain from draining the battery to the point where the car is DOA/unresponsive, it will just take longer to get to that point.

My 'failsafe backup' plan was a $50 rechargeable 'jumper battery', a much better investment for me, because it can also be used in other vehicles, will run 12v plug-in devices (like the Mobility kit air compressor when away from the car), power or recharge devices with a USB cable such as phones, cameras, and tablets, and serve as a work light if needed.

Edited by kostby

The CCA rating does not indicate how long a battery will last under steady current draw conditions.  For that situation you need the amp-hour rating (total energy output versus peak current capability).  The 12V battery doesn't crank the ICE so the CCA isn't relevant to our problem.  A 10 amp load would drain the battery "overnight".  Lead acid batteries are designed as either "cranking" or "deep cycle" batteries.  My understanding is that designing a battery for a high CCA conflicts with getting maximum amp-hours.  Using the same physical size battery with a higher CCA will likely run down quicker.

Thanks for the information. I've decided also to go the route of a 12v jump starter that I store on the right rear floor of the car, plus I plan to use a regular 12v battery charger about every 2-3 months or so to charge the battery up fully. May even put it on a Battery Tender overnight once a week or two. All this until Ford develops a real solution. Just can't have this dead battery issue keep happening. Too much of a pain and so completely unreliable.

P.S. My wife and I both have C Maxes. Really love the cars except for the 12v issue. Mine's been towed in with Roadside Assistance 3 times, hers 2 times. My highly cooperative dealer has tried everything Ford has suggested several times -- couldn't ask for more effort on the part of my dealer's Service Department. But Ford needs to get this corrected once and for all.

Edited by hayesdt

Odyssey lists this battery (PC1200MJT) with 1200CCA as a replacement for the 590CCA Motorcraft BXT-96R/590 original equipment battery, with the footnote 'Vehicle battery restraints may require modification':

http://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc1200mjt-a?pp=12

I didn't find a 96R series Optima Yellowtop or Redtop battery in a quick search, but there could be other sizes that might fit.

At double the price, and double the CCA amp rating, a higher-capacity battery still won't prevent some malfunctioning module or device that is causing a constant power drain from draining the battery to the point where the car is DOA/unresponsive, it will just take longer to get to that point.

My 'failsafe backup' plan was a $50 rechargeable 'jumper battery', a much better investment for me, because it can also be used in other vehicles, will run 12v plug-in devices (like the Mobility kit air compressor when away from the car), power or recharge devices with a USB cable such as phones, cameras, and tablets, and serve as a work light if needed.

You don't need a battery with a high CCA for the C-Max.  You want a battery with a high reserve capacity rating. See this.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer