The c-max has more than adequate stopping ability. However when brakes are damp [after a rain, or on colder weather] they are noisy and very grabby for the first few stops. My guess it is the pad material Ford is using. I am also noticing some deeper groves in the rotor faces...this is a concern I will bring to the service managers attention. My guess is that different pads may be in development  and rotors probably will need to be replaced with the newly designed pads.

On a positive note at 5500 miles I just returned from a trip to Cincinnati, Oh  and got 54.5 mpg...

• 3 weeks later...

With the hybrid cars you should hardly be using the actual friction brakes very much. Most here say they never get brake dust on wheels because the regen brake is used mostly when you press the brake down for the first 75% off travel on the portal and that doesn't wear like normal brakes. The friction part with rotor to pad only gets applied when you come to a complete stop or when you slam on them for emergency braking.  if you only have 6000 miles and your rotors have deep grooves in them, something is wrong with your car or braking technique.

Your brakes should last a long time in a hybrid car from what I've read here.

Time to check it out at dealer and put in a claim to customer service at corporate.

Perhaps a soft/bad batch??

I have a 2013 C-Max Hybrid. I've 13,000 miles and have noticed ridges on my rotors as well. I've never experienced this on any other vehicle I've owned. Wondering if other C-Max owners having same issue? Regardless, will be taking her in for a check-up!

Having groves in the rotors isn't unusual, but at 5,500mi. seems early for much  wear. With 59Kmi on mine the rears are grooved a little bit the fronts pretty smooth. Grooves are caused by sand particles getting stuck in brake pads . Brakes grabbing is caused from rotors rusting which creates more friction for brake pads. :)

Paul

I agree with noisy and grabby when wet for the first few stops.  Had a 2004 F-150 that had severe grooves in the rotors within the first year.  Turns out there was a recall/TSB and they replaced all the rotors and pads under warranty.  Gonna have to take a look at my brakes on the C-Max now.