2014/ 2015 c-max questions

1. On the 2015 model is there an order guide out yet specifying the changes, colors etc ?

2. When is the 2015 C-max expected to be in showrooms ?

3. On the 2014 model how well does it do in crash tests? My wife was rear ended when she was backed up on a freeway exit. She drove a Fusion then and now drives an Escape so I know it's a size difference.

4. If you live in a snowy state, how has it held up as far as handling etc ?

5. If candy blue is no where to be found if we lease a C-max , whats the next good color when it comes to hiding dirt, scratches goes?

6. If you do live in a colder state such as we live in Mi, is it worth the extra for the winter package?

7. Can you get an Engine block heater on the C-max?

8. Our lease isn't up until December so is it best to wait until then to lease the 2015 model or turn it in early say October if Ford has an early bird lease program going on?

9. I Love the fog lights on the Escape as they do help with visibility at night. How does the SE model without them fare as far as visibility goes? Are the lights bright enough to see what's on the road? The reason I ask is because we have a 2014 Fusion and I didn't get fog lights on it and the lights are ok but they are a bit weak.

A bit premature on any 2015 spec's we're just getting into the 2014 model year.  Production probably won't start until after August - September timeframe.  Dealers will have little or no info on the changes before late fall most likely.  Bet the actual car will not show up in the showrooms before the holidays. As for your other questions, crash tests have be good for the CMax with good side protection air bags and curtains.  As for rear collision, we have had some 2013 models involved in accidents with heavy damage and the owners have faired well with exception of one who did have some lingering neck and possibly back pain with therapy involved.  Can't comment on cold states issues since I'm in sunny and HOT California.  As for fog lights I have them on my SEL model.  I rarely use them, but if I were buying a CMax today I would not buy the SE since the creature comforts of the SEL are worth the extra $$$.  I guess the reason I rarely use my fog lights is because I think they add very little to visibility.  I see them mostly as a cosmetic option.

Edited by mtb9153

No mention of the 2015 yet.the 2014 just came out so...

Yes they is an engine block heater for the CMax

The hybrid may not be the best car flee you if you live in a cold/snow state as many in the forums have had much lower gas mpg numbers like in the 30-35 mpg range.don't expect the full 40-50 as those here in California with perfect hybrid temps will see.

Dark colors like dark blue and black will always show dust and scratches more than a white or silver car.

The silver does not look good on the cmax.the most popular color I've seen is the platinum grey and the white and the ice storm which looks like light aqua blue/green.

...4. If you live in a snowy state, how has it held up as far as handling etc ?

5. If candy blue is no where to be found if we lease a C-max , whats the next good color when it comes to hiding dirt, scratches goes?

6. If you do live in a colder state such as we live in Mi, is it worth the extra for the winter package?

9. I Love the fog lights on the Escape as they do help with visibility at night. How does the SE model without them fare as far as visibility goes? Are the lights bright enough to see what's on the road? The reason I ask is because we have a 2014 Fusion and I didn't get fog lights on it and the lights are ok but they are a bit weak.

4 & 9) I love the C-Max in snow, and it's not the handling that stole my heart, its visibility. I can see the road when it's snowing, and the fogs are icing on the cake.

That said, where I live we get an inch of snow a day, so I have snow tires and that changes everything regarding handling. If your region is cold but not snowy, snow tires aren't needed, and visibility isn't as critical given you won't be going very fast when it snows. IF snow does get deep, or roads icy, the car allows you to turn off traction control so you won't wear out the brakes trying not to slip (and in so doing, prevent any torque to the road). Traction control is an oxymoron.

5) Mine's Ice Storm and I think it's the nicest color simply because it's metameric - the car is actually green, but it can appear blue under certain lighting. Confuse your friends!

6 & 7) As long as you get the block (immersion) heater too, get the winter package. The seats get hot a lot faster than the engine.

That said, I just summarized my Winter mileage vs. last Fall and this Spring, for my two commute routes, expressway and rural back roads (not urban). The relative number of points tells you I took the expressway most of the Winter, primarliy so the engine wouldn't be idling all the time. You'll note that my mileage is at its worst on the rural route at 0F, because the engine was on the whole time.(MPG increases as you increase your EV miles, so if you can't EV, mileage tanks! Conversely, I'w up ~10% this spring year over last Fall

Have fun,

Frank

The EBH is standard in certain states and cannot be factory ordered if you are outside those states. The EBH is standard in Wisconsin but not in Michigan or IL. If you aren't too far from Wisconsin you may want to look at ordering from a dealer there to get the EBH. It's awesome. We use it in our Fusion Hybrid & my parents use it in their C-Max Energi and it makes a big difference. It will heat the coolant to approximately 30C above ambient temp.

So talking with a rep on Ford's chat service online I asked about the 6 way manual seats on the SE if you could raise the seat up. I was told it does't raise up which if true is a deal breaker for me. Sad because the SE had the power liftgate and nav package, winter package also. In order to get the power liftgate I'd have to add another 2,000 to the Base SEL.

The upgrade to the SEL is worth it as it increases resale value (trade in value if leased) and also adds lots of stuff you WILL end up using/enjoying a lot more.

no reason to chimp when you are buying a $30k car

the $2000 averaged out for the life of the car loan is very very little a month

$33 on a 5 yr loan / $55 on a 3 yr loan

Yes, the C-MAX SE driver's seat does move up and down.

If you've ever used a 'bumper jack' (not the scissors-and-screwthread type) on a car when bumpers were actual jacking points, the jacking motion to raise or lower the seat is quite similar.

When seated, pull up on the seat lever to raise the seat one step. It moves a tiny bit rearward each step when raising it.

Push down on the lever to lower the seat one step. It moves a tiny bit forward each step when lowering it.

As I recall, there are about 10 different steps between full-up and full down positions, a total range of several inches.

Of course, the seatback also reclines manually in steps, and you can adjust the forward/rear position of the seat manually with the pull-bar under the seat 

The steering column release lever permits BOTH height adjustments up/down, AND distance to driver with push/pull.

I didn't know about the push/pull until I read about it in these forums!

Edited by kostby

Well that's a relief the drivers seat does go up and down. As long as my wife finds the cloth seats comfortable and easy adjustment for the seat then She will be fine with the SE and doesn't need the SEL. I know she likes the intelligent access but says she can live without. Don't really know why the online rep wouldn't know it has a height adjustment on it. The Escape we have now has leather seats and she loves the comfort of them. Our other car is a 2014 fusion with cloth seats and she has a hard time getting comfortable. Maybe it's best to test drive both models to see the comfort level as it's different for everyone. Did anyone bring their salesperson along for a test drive?

We did. It was very low key. Brian, our salesperson was knowledgeable about the features of the car and where controls were located, but we took him along primarily because he knew the local roads, so our 15-minute test drive included a few miles of interstate highway, country roads, city streets, stop signs, hills, curves, a rail crossing, and an industrial park so we could switch drivers and try parking without being in traffic.

Edited by kostby

You / your wife are going tospend  a LOT of time in those seats and they had better be comfortable whatever you decide on .

leather gets hotter in the sumn but is much easier to clean and maintain if you do the work the take care of it

cloth is a goner if you spill anything even water, it will leave a stain

some folks say cloth makes you sweat on your back because its harder for your body to breath for some reason

yes sit in them for many minutes not just a second or two and BE SURE before you buy

The SE is not for everyone and you dont want to have regrets later. There are 3 levels/packages for the the SEL so its not like you have to get the highest one. there is 301A, 302A, and 303A

better to get MORE in the SEL and have options, even if you dont use it all, than to jip yourself and want more later

its a once in 10 year purchase for most folks so you deserve to spoil yourself every so often,

its the 2nd biggest purchase after your home

dont skimp

Well that's a relief the drivers seat does go up and down. As long as my wife finds the cloth seats comfortable and easy adjustment for the seat then She will be fine with the SE and doesn't need the SEL. I know she likes the intelligent access but says she can live without. Don't really know why the online rep wouldn't know it has a height adjustment on it. The Escape we have now has leather seats and she loves the comfort of them. Our other car is a 2014 fusion with cloth seats and she has a hard time getting comfortable. Maybe it's best to test drive both models to see the comfort level as it's different for everyone. Did anyone bring their salesperson along for a test drive?

Edited by salsaguy

Color: White or black will show dirt. My Mazda3 was silver and didn't show dirt, and I think the C-Max looks good in silver. 

Seats: can confirm: the driver seat goes up and down on the SE.

The winter package is a bargain. Heated seats and mirrors for peanuts.

Fog lights: the headlights are great -- fogs aren't needed on this car.

Unless something has changed since I bought mine, you can get every option except foglights and the Sony stereo on the SE -- so unless you're a music geek, it comes down to whether you prefer cloth or leather upholstery.  You've heard the argument for leather, so here's the argument for cloth. FWIW, I've had cars with leather, pleather, and cloth seats. Cloth is the most comfortable in summer months BY FAR...it's not even close. Cloth stays cool in the sun. Real or synthetic hide gets hot enough to burn your skin if you're wearing shorts, and doesn't breathe well, so your sweaty back sticks to the seat. Cloth also doesn't require maintenance, whereas if you don't condition leather it will eventually crack. Cloth can stain, but the C-Max has stain-resistant fabric, and any full-service carwash can shampoo your seats. 

Cloth is the most comfortable in summer months BY FAR...it's not even close. Cloth stays cool in the sun. Real or synthetic hide gets hot enough to burn your skin if you're wearing shorts, and doesn't breathe well, so your sweaty back sticks to the seat. Cloth also doesn't require maintenance, whereas if you don't condition leather it will eventually crack. Cloth can stain, but the C-Max has stain-resistant fabric, and any full-service carwash can shampoo your seats. 

I wanted the equivalent to the SEL 303A without leather. I can't remember the options, but there was no way for me to get what I wanted without it. (I think it was the kick gate or the upgraded sound, but I can't remember.) I ended out buying padded seat covers to put over the leather. This was a very tough decision for me, because I am vegan and do not want to use animal products in my car!

Also, I found that my body could not handle the less comfortable cloth seats. I tried an SE, just to make sure.

You are right about the sun.  I live where that hot sun will produce burns on people that jump into the seat of a hot car while in shorts or a bathing suit.

Car companies used to make regional packages. For example, they would make a winter package with the heated seats, mirrors and engine block. In my neck of the woods, it has been common to see premium fabric seats and tinted windows on typical packages from the factory. I really wish that something like this would have been available for my vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

2015 Model Year update:

Over on the C-MAX Energi forum, ice-capades posted this model changeover timetable for 2015 C-MAX:

• 09/14/2014 - 2014MY - Job Last Date
  • 06/13/2014 - 2015MY - Order Bank Open Date
  • 07/17/2014 - 2015MY Scheduling Begins
  • 09/15/2014 - 2015MY Job #1 Date 

So to answer fordfan82's original question, it should be possible to order a 2015 C-MAX in a couple of weeks.

Original Energi discussion thread: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56540-2015-c-max-energi/

• 3 weeks later...

2015 Model Year update:

Over on the C-MAX Energi forum, ice-capades posted this model changeover timetable for 2015 C-MAX:

• 09/14/2014 - 2014MY - Job Last Date
  • 06/13/2014 - 2015MY - Order Bank Open Date
  • 07/17/2014 - 2015MY Scheduling Begins
  • 09/15/2014 - 2015MY Job #1 Date
So to answer fordfan82's original question, it should be possible to order a 2015 C-MAX in a couple of weeks.

Original Energi discussion thread: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56540-2015-c-max-energi/

The main problem we face is our lease isn't up until December. Unless Ford has an Early Bird offer there probably won't be the 2014 models left. I'm wondering will there be new colors for the 2015 model?

Link to 2015 Ford Fleet buyer's Preview, showing the new 2015 C-MAX colors (page 23).

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2015/15_FleetPreviewGuide_lr.pdf

Tectonic Silver Metallic seems to be a great match to the Stone interior color.

And somehow I missed this April 1st announcement of a special model just for BBQ enthusiasts…  ;)

http://blog.consumerguide.com/ford-cooks-new-hybrid-meet-2015-c-max-energi-kingsford-edition/

Edited by kostby

Just Spoke to a dealer in Michigan who said the 2014 C-max model will be gone by September and the 2015 model will arrive. She said they don't have year end model deals in November/ December. Since our last payment is in December, is it better to do an early bird offer if they have one in Sep or October or wait and get a 2015 model?

Just Spoke to a dealer in Michigan who said the 2014 C-max model will be gone by September and the 2015 model will arrive. She said they don't have year end model deals in November/ December. Since our last payment is in December, is it better to do an early bird offer if they have one in Sep or October or wait and get a 2015 model?

It's highly unlikely that Ford will sell out all the remaining C-MAXes by the day 2014 production ends, September 14, 2014. At the present rate of sales, just under 2100 sold nationwide in the month of May. CU's Black Spot of Unreliability Award probably has something to do with that. So it's probable that there will still be dozens or even hundreds of 2014's to select from if you broaden your search area to several hundred miles.

If you have your heart set on a color that won't be offered in 2015, (Sterling Gray or Ice Storm) then you'll absolutely have to locate a 2014 from dealer stock. With the search capabilities of the internet finding the exact vehicle you want is pretty easy, though acquiring it might involve some travel. 

If your color will still be available in 2015, then I guess how long you wait depends upon:

1) Just how good any 'early bird' lease offer might be.

2) How many more 'bad news headlines', Service Advisories, and Recalls, C-MAX reliability studies, and EPA ratings, are splashed across the pages of the popular press between now and then to further suppress sales, and what, if any, additional incentives Ford adds to move existing inventory.

3) How much the base price, transportation, and equipment group prices rise for 2015.

Edited by kostby

Block heaters are standard (and included with no charge) on c-maxes shipped to dealers in Wisconsin, Michigan and certain other northern states. A  dealer trade could cost a bit.  I suggest a road trip! You could find a car in dealer inventory and make a few calls! There are tons on the lots, especially in Michigan. You can view the window sticker on the net to verify a block heater.

Edited by PJFW8