"Service Engine Soon" light on - no reason given (?)

Altazi

I started my C-Max and noticed the "Service Engine Soon" light was on.  I turned the vehicle off, and restarted it.  The SES light remained on steadily.  I turned the vehicle off again, checked the fuel fill thing, and started again.  The SES light remained on again.  The vehicle has over 17k miles, and has had no other problems.  No other warnings or information appeared to be available.  I have no idea why the light is on.  The vehicle drives normally.  Anyone out there have any clues?  I am six hours away from home, and looking at a 360-mile drive.  Thanks!

Hold down the left steering wheel OK button when starting the car and keep holding it until the Diagnostics screen is displayed.

Then use the up/down buttons on the left side control to scroll through the screens.

There are about a dozen screens to scroll through, but one of them will eventually display DTC Codes (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). 

Since the light came on, there should be one or more codes displayed. (Normally the screen has no entries other than the title),

(Example "P0420" is a catalytic converter code for my Pontiac Vibe.)

You can Google the code(s) displayed (fastest), or post it back here, and maybe someone here can tell you what the code is.

Edited by kostby

I discovered that my P0456 very small leak code did go away upon the fourth cold start after fiddling with the filler. This was the second time it happened at about a half tank. The first time I couldn't make myself wait and reset it with an engine diagnostic program. [insert cute "fingers crossed" emoticon here. ]

Thanks for the info.  Here is what I see:

DTC             HIST          CURR

C14600          X

C29300          X

C40181          X

That's all - no other warnings or information.  Google was not helpful in this case, unfortunately.

Edited by Altazi

Thanks for the info.  Here is what I see:

DTC             HIST          CURR

C14600          X

C29300          X

C40181          X

That's all - no other warnings or information.  Google was not helpful in this case, unfortunately.

I found this list:  http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_images/customer_support_article-pdf-41.pdf

Seems C indicates Chassis and it looks like from the list it covers a lot of components. I didn't spend much time checking for your codes. Hopefully this will help.

Sounds like a trip to the service department is now on your schedule.

Edited by timwil56

There's a problem with documents like that, they don't seem to agree with the DTC codes for the C-Max. For the left-front speed sensor we see these in the "Edge Products" document:

C1233 Speed Wheel LF Input Signal Missing

C1258 Speed Wheel LF Comparison Failure

Here are codes from "206-09 Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and Stability Control, Diagnosis and Testing" from the workshop manual:

C0031:07 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor: Mechanical

C0031:11 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor: Circuit Short to Ground

C0031:15 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor: Circuit Short to Battery or Open

C0031:29 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor: Signal Invalid

C0031:2F Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor: Signal Erratic

C0031:4A Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor: Incorrect Component Installed

C0031:64 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor: Signal Plausibility Failure

and these are in a different format from what people reporting seeing on their car's diagnostic screen. I've never found a DTC on mine so I don't know if my ScanGauge would show these numbers or not, I suspect not. I got the yellow wrench one time, but there was no DTC stored.

I've never figured out what, if any, correlation there is between the numbers in the workshop manual and what normal diagnostic method show.

Edited by jdbob

I started my C-Max and noticed the "Service Engine Soon" light was on.  I turned the vehicle off, and restarted it.  The SES light remained on steadily.  I turned the vehicle off again, checked the fuel fill thing, and started again.  The SES light remained on again.  The vehicle has over 17k miles, and has had no other problems.  No other warnings or information appeared to be available.  I have no idea why the light is on.  The vehicle drives normally.  Anyone out there have any clues?  I am six hours away from home, and looking at a 360-mile drive.  Thanks!

Altazi,

I recommend having a dealer take a look at these codes and diagnose your C-Max. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and the name and city/state of the dealer you're going to bring it to. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

Altazi,

I recommend having a dealer take a look at these codes and diagnose your C-Max. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and the name and city/state of the dealer you're going to bring it to. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your kind offer of assistance.  The service department at Courtesy Ford in Portland, Oregon, was able to resolve the problem.  It seems that my C-Max was diagnosed with an "evaporative emissions system static pressure leak," and that the vapor management valve / canister purge valve wasn't sealing properly, and needed replacement.

Strangely enough, they said that this problem threw a P0456 DTC, which never showed up in my engineering test mode display.  Should this have shown up?  Or is this something that is only readable with a suitable code reader via the OBDII port?

I still have no idea what the three "Cxxxxx" DTCs I mentioned previously mean.

I also had my 14S04B recall done, the restraints control module reprogram.

Still loving my C-Max.  I do believe it is the nicest car I have ever had.  Getting 42mpg doing nothing special.

Drive on . . . :)

Strangely enough, they said that this problem threw a P0456 DTC, which never showed up in my engineering test mode display.  Should this have shown up?  Or is this something that is only readable with a suitable code reader via the OBDII port?

P0456 – EVAP System Very Small Leak Detected (HEV)

"If the signal “flat lines” for an HEV, the monitor sets a preliminary P0456 failure flag and goes to Phase 5."

I suspect that the engineering test mode display misses a lot of things. Ford really dropped the ball when writing the software for this thing.

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your kind offer of assistance.  The service department at Courtesy Ford in Portland, Oregon, was able to resolve the problem.  It seems that my C-Max was diagnosed with an "evaporative emissions system static pressure leak," and that the vapor management valve / canister purge valve wasn't sealing properly, and needed replacement.

I still have no idea what the three "Cxxxxx" DTCs I mentioned previously mean.

I also had my 14S04B recall done, the restraints control module reprogram.

Still loving my C-Max.  I do believe it is the nicest car I have ever had.  Getting 42mpg doing nothing special.

Drive on . . . :)

Hi Altazi,

I'm unable to advise on what codes should show up because I'm not a certified technician. That's why I usually recommend letting the pros take a look. :) I'm glad they got things taken care of for you. Let me know if you need anything in the future!

Ashley