Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Rear Bumper Scuff Protection

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dtorres

dtorres

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 267 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

Ran across a rear bumper scuff protector for the C-Max on eBay. We have something similar on our Taurus X and it really keeps the paint on the bumper from getting scuffed up. A little high on the price though for what it is.

http://tinyurl.com/c5yuc3e

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationCanada
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for posting that. I just ordered one, and my SEL isn't on the radar yet (ordered it Oct.8th and haven't heard anything yet). I ordered as I figure there will be a run on them once the C-Maxs arrive in full force <g>.

#3 OFFLINE   CNCGeek

CNCGeek

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 309 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:C-max hybrid

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

Thanks, this looks pretty cool. I was considering getting some clear 3m protector for the bumber, but this looks better.

Laurel can you post your thoughts on it when you get it? The only thing that concerns me is the quantity of adhesive they use and where it is placed - better if it is along the edges.

#4 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

CNCGeek sure I will let you know how it looks when it arrives.
Laurel

#5 OFFLINE   JayCo59

JayCo59

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ct

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

I ordered the exact piece from ebay and I just got it yesterday. I'll install it this weekend. My first impressions are good. It's made of thick hard blick plastic that does bend much.
It shipped in a long 3.5 ft 1/4" thin box about 8" wide. It had a "DO NOT BEND" sticker and was delievered "Un-Bent".
The installation instructions seem fine and it comes with 2 alcohol prep pads for cleanning the bumper top.
I can give you more details regarding the installation and final look after I install it in on Saturday.
Jay

#6 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

I ordered my on ebay on Oct.31st and haven't received it yet. Hope they don't bend mine.

#7 OFFLINE   CNCGeek

CNCGeek

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 309 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

I ordered the exact piece from ebay and I just got it yesterday. I'll install it this weekend. My first impressions are good. It's made of thick hard blick plastic that does bend much.
It shipped in a long 3.5 ft 1/4" thin box about 8" wide. It had a "DO NOT BEND" sticker and was delievered "Un-Bent".
The installation instructions seem fine and it comes with 2 alcohol prep pads for cleanning the bumper top.
I can give you more details regarding the installation and final look after I install it in on Saturday.
Jay

Thanks, it sounds like a winner. Do you think they provided enough of the 3M tape to keep it in place long term, and is it arranged around the edges of the panel?

#8 OFFLINE   dtorres

dtorres

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 267 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

Here's the direct link to the company's website that makes the black plastic one for $40 + shipping:
http://www.zetaprodu...Ford-C-Max.aspx

There's also the official Ford one for $75 which looks like heavy 3M clear plastic. However you can't seem to order it yet and they don't have a listed part number.
http://accessories.f...3/exterior.html

#9 OFFLINE   JayCo59

JayCo59

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ct

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

Ok, I did the install and it was pretty simple...
1 - Washed the car yesterday so it was already clean.
2 - Rubbed down the bumper top witha microfiber cloth
3 - Wiped it down with the suppled alcohol pad and again with the Microfiber cloth.
4 - Aligned the plastic protector piece left to right and front to back to get a reference (Without the sticky back tap uncovered).
5 - Peeled off the sticky back tape and laided it in place without any pressure to verify alignment.Once I was happy with the alignment I applied pressure to the entire piece by running the palm of my hand up and down the plastic several times.

NOTE: They suggest closing the rear door before applying the protector. This is IMPORTANT for aligning the piece appropriately front to rear.
I did not heed this advice and when the door is closed it looks a bit like it's to far in (and it probably is).
Left to right aligns nicely with two big groves in the "Trunk" area so that was easy.

Jay

Bumper protection documentation

Bumper Closeup of Wipes

Bumper Pre-Install

Bumper - Left Alignment

Bumper Final install with door closed

Edited by JayCo59, 11 November 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   CNCGeek

CNCGeek

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 309 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

Awesome, I'm buying one. Thanks for posting the pics. I really like that the adhesive is placed along the edges so they won't easily get lifted if by chance something catches an edge.

Your install looks great too, I think this is better than the clear factory one. If I did not know and had to guess I'd think it was factory.

#11 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

I ordered mine on Nov.1st and I just tracked it on Canada Post and it is out for delivery for today. Now I just need a car to put in onto.

#12 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

CNCGeek we got our bumper protector today. We don't have our car yet so it will sit here for awhile. Hubby said to tell you that it could do with a bit more 3M tape. There are two long horizontal strips of tape--top and bottom--about 1/4" from the edges. Hubby felt that they could have used two small extra pieces perpendicular to the horizontal long strips at each end. But over all it looks fine.

#13 OFFLINE   RedLdr1

RedLdr1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 144 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMetro Atlanta
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX SEL 302A Package

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

The 3M Foam Tape used to hold on trim is available at most Auto Supply stores. In my area Pep Boys, AutoZone, NAPA, and just about everyone else, carries it. Just tells the store clerk you need 3M Body Side Molding Tape and they should be able to hand a you a roll for a reasonable price, usually around $5.00. When I purchase an exterior trim piece I almost always add more tape to it as I don't want it coming loose! Here is a Link to the 3M Website showing the tape most vendors use.

Edited by RedLdr1, 16 November 2012 - 08:02 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Thanks RedLdr1. We'll buy a little extra tape as I could see the ends might peel back without it.

#15 OFFLINE   captaineddie

captaineddie

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 13 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • Current Vehicle:F-150

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

Our car has the Ford C-Max clear tape that's part of the exterior protection package (dealer installed). It looks good, but don't know how much protection it will give.

#16 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Captaineddie was that something you were offered and paid for, or a courtesy from your dealer? I didn't see the exterior protection package offered.

#17 OFFLINE   JayCo59

JayCo59

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ct

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

CNCGeek we got our bumper protector today. We don't have our car yet so it will sit here for awhile. Hubby said to tell you that it could do with a bit more 3M tape. There are two long horizontal strips of tape--top and bottom--about 1/4" from the edges. Hubby felt that they could have used two small extra pieces perpendicular to the horizontal long strips at each end. But over all it looks fine.

I used the stock tape and the unit is held in well, it's not going anywhere. The plastic piece is quite rigid and once it's down and rolled it not coming up! I wouldn't bother with any extra tape.

Edited by JayCo59, 21 November 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   MSmith1915

MSmith1915

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 58 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationFlorida
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

I installed the Ford accessory Rear Bumper Protector today.  The bumper side of the protector is sticky so use lots of soapy water when you put the protector down on the bumper.  The kit comes with a yellow squeegee device for smoothing out air bubbles.  The protector is a thick plastic material that should offer some protection from inadvertent drops and/or scrapes from items being moved in or out of your cargo area.

CMax 2326

• Retired1 likes this

#19 OFFLINE   Arthur

Arthur

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 90 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Installed mine today, it is stainless steel with tape all on it <br /><br />

Edited by Arthur, 01 January 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   GJ450

GJ450

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Got the Ford product for bumper scuff protection installed. Price $75 + $40 Installation. Looks very nice !

Has C-Max on it. Its a clear plastic and looks quite durable ! It will keep the bumper from being banged up when putting in and taking stuff out.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·