Rear Bumper Scuff Protection

dtorres

If the black protector is anything like the one I installed on my 2004 Nissan Murano, it will work really well, and it will continue to look good.  I have never had issues with the tape or otherwise.

The Ford C-MAX protector looks like a piece of clear vinyl.   Other than the cool logo on it, is that all it is to it?  If so, I can't imagine it holding up very well over time. 

I agree with you Hatchman, like the looks of the black aftermarket one, but wish it was wider.  Would love it if it had a crease and 'folded' down perhaps 3/4" or so on the small sloped upper section of the bumper - probably wishful thinking.  Let us know if you find one with that custom lip.  Nick 

What do you think of the Aeroskin hood protectors ($41)?

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

Negative, the Ford version is clear vinyl and only covers part of the top.  So far nothing on the market covers the trailing edge corner.  

My OEM clear bumper protector wraps down to the surface of the bumper that is perpendicular to the ground (maybe 3/4" below the top surface).  So, I'd say it covers the trailing edge corner. :)

Also, it extends forward across the top of the bumper to about 1/4" of the perpendicular surface of the metal below the hatchback opening. A quick measurement shows the size to be about 6" X 37" and it clearly covers significantly more of the bumper than the pic of the black vinyl protective strip shown in the first post. The OEM protector appears to be a few mils thicker than the clear-bra film I have on the front end.

My OEM clear bumper protector wraps down to the surface of the bumper that is perpendicular to the ground (maybe 3/4" below the top surface).  So, I'd say it covers the trailing edge corner. :)

:)  The one I saw installed at the dealership did not, so maybe they put it on wrong.  It also did not appear to be 6" wide, so maybe they come in different sizes.  But the one they had did not go over the lip.   I guess if you install it yourself, you can put it on any way you like.  :)

I don't know if you can tell anything from this picture, but here it is: http://accessories.ford.com/cover-10340.html

If you look at the accessories pic you can see 4 surfaces: the top of the bumper cover, two angled surfaces from the top of the bumper cover to the vertical surface of the bumper cover.  The C-MAX logo-ed protector starts on the top forward surface that is hidden by the tail gate (surface not visible in the pic because the tail gate is closed) and ends virtually at the junction of the lower of the bottom angled surface and the vertical surface of the bumper cover (about 6" total). 

Mine was installed as part of the exterior protection option package (mudflaps and rear bumper protector) and is the standard OEM product.  It measures about 6" which will clearly cover the trailing edge.  I seriously doubt the dealer would trim it to a smaller size.

OK, well, I didn't realize vinyl was so impossible to trim. :) I got a roll in the garage that I can trim to whatever size I want.  Maybe they got a bunch of fingerprints on the trialing edge, maybe they got some dirt on it, maybe they didn't want to waste it.   I would go back and take pictures and find out why they trimmed it, but I really don't care.

We got it, the Ford vinyl piece is 6" wide and wide enough to go over the lip.  You win.  Oh, that and vinyl is impossible to trim and seriously doubtful a dealer would attempt it.  :)  :rockon:

Edited by Hatchman

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to having my Ford C Max rear bumper protector applied. Local Ford dealership referred me o a Sign & Screen printing business. This worked out well as it was applied perfectly and quickly while I watched, convincing me that I would not have done nearly that good of a job. Unfortunately it is very difficult to get a good picture to show off. Suffice it to say it looks good and does come down to he vertical part of the bumper. Should do the job.

I am getting the clear one from the dealership installed sometime this week hopefully. (waiting for the new GPS module to come in also) Sounds like the people who have it say it adds enough protection. Has anyone put both the clear and the black one on? I was thinking of doing that just because I like the look of the black one and it doesn't seem to cover enough of the bumper.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I did the install and it was pretty simple...

1 - Washed the car yesterday so it was already clean.

2 - Rubbed down the bumper top witha microfiber cloth

3 - Wiped it down with the suppled alcohol pad and again with the Microfiber cloth.

4 - Aligned the plastic protector piece left to right and front to back to get a reference (Without the sticky back tap uncovered).

5 - Peeled off the sticky back tape and laided it in place without any pressure to verify alignment.Once I was happy with the alignment I applied pressure to the entire piece by running the palm of my hand up and down the plastic several times.

NOTE: They suggest closing the rear door before applying the protector. This is IMPORTANT for aligning the piece appropriately front to rear.

I did not heed this advice and when the door is closed it looks a bit like it's to far in (and it probably is).

Left to right aligns nicely with two big groves in the "Trunk" area so that was easy.

Jay

Looks to me like you did a better job than that ebay photo- that one seems to be peeling up at the front corners, I see a bit of shadow there...

Looks to me like you did a better job than that ebay photo- that one seems to be peeling up at the front corners, I see a bit of shadow there...

I think the eBay seller just goes to the dealership and lays the protector on random cars to see what it fits.  If it happens to fit they snap a picture and list it. 

• 3 years later...