Jumping MPG Meter

SnowStorm

Has anyone else seen their MPG meter indication constantly jumping up and down?  Mine was doing it yesterday at a rate of about 2 to 3 times per second with a magnitude of, perhaps, 2 to 4 MPG.  Not at all the normal reading that just changes smoothly with road and speed.  No water on the road, temps about 70F, didn't matter if HVB was being charged or supplying power.  Tach and speed were steady.  Car seemed to be running normally with gas mileage unaffected.  Saw it for over an hour - AFAIK, till the end of the trip.

Yes, I have noticed this MPG "jitter" occur during highway driving at a constant speed. It seems to appear only when the HVB is nearly fully charged (regardless if being charged or supplying power) , and I am at constant speed on flat terrain. I seem to get the best MPG (with ICE on) when this MPG "jitter" occurs (usally at 65-75mph speeds). The MPG jitter rate is usually about 2-4 per second.

Edited by Zathrus

I've only filled up once since purchase (~10 weeks), but I figured it was normal for instantaneous MPG readout to fluctuate.

I've noticed the fluctuation especially when meeting large trucks on 2-lane state highways, in gusty winds, and when passing or being passed by other vehicles on multi-lane interstate highways.