Tire Mobility Kit

Chinto

Yesterday I decided to check my tire pressures which was reading 34 psi in all four. Interestingly, the low pressure monitoring system does not recognized 34 psi as low. This makes me wonder how low must they go before it does report low pressure? Anyway, I decide to familiarize myself with the Tire Mobility Kit (TMK) by inflating the low pressure tires with it. Instructions on use are in the pouch. Basically, it is a two hose system. The black hose is for air only and the clear hose is for sealant and air. The top of unit has a selector switch to direct which hose you want to use and a 12 volt plug on the bottom of the unit. The built in air gauge is on top which registers the air pressure as soon as you screw the hose onto the stem and turn selector to air only. The gauge appears accurate when double checked against an electronic air gauge. So you plug into the 12 volt outlet and push the on/off button on the unit and pressure immediately begins to increase. When the TMK gauge showed 40 psi I switched it off and removed hose which when I used my tire gauge showed 38.5 psi.

Bottom line, the TMK (air only) worked perfectly and appears to be a solid well built unit. Granted I did not use the sealant. For those who do not have their own separate air compressor at home this will be a nice addition for you instead of buying air at the gas station. Also there is an adapter for ball inflation or beach raft inflation under that cap so you can use TMK for other air inflation needs.

• 1 month later...

I used it to fill my bike tires when I forgot my pump, did the job even if it was noisey, but thats expected.  The knob to set the goo or air was a bit tough to turn, I had to double check the manual to make sure I was not gonna set anything off.

On a side note, I ordered one of these the other day.  Hopefully it will help get a more accurate and even inflation on the tires.

Edited by CNCGeek

• 2 years later...

IMO you are much better off with a separate can of sealant you can buy anywhere at low cost.  I, like a dummy, mixed up the hoses first time I used it and shot sealant into a bicycle tire.  :rant2:  And of course 12V tire pumps are cheap enough.  I do like the TMK's pump though - it has worked well so far (for other things!).

I was contacted by Ford Service about my defective mobility pump kit. They wouldn't give me a new one since I am out of warranty but they did offer to split the cost. $140 still is insane for a pump that should be $50-60 max. I have AAA but will probable go get a small pump that can stowaway under the seat and get a can of sealant.

• 3 years later...

Yesterday, the pump in my Tire Mobility Kit broke.  The motor ran, but the compressor quit.  So now I'm in the market for a replacement tire inflator (no need for the "fix-a-flat" goo).

Any suggestions?  I'm leaning toward this:  https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Compact-Portable-Compressor-Carrying/dp/B074DDJFTH/

Also. FWIW, here are pics of the inside of the inflator:

post-399-0-79078000-1541454087_thumb.jpgpost-399-0-79391700-1541454112_thumb.jpgpost-399-0-20232800-1541454133_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill-N

The air compressor unit you listed looks good. Just make sure the 12v lighter cord and hose is long enough to reach all four tires. I had a similar unit and had to use the front lighter socket so I could reach front tires and rear lighter socket to reach the rear tires.

Another option, If you do not have a battery jump starter, is to consider getting the following jump starter and air compressor combo unit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XLC116/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is more money, but I really like inflating the tires without having to manage the lighter plug/cord (especially in the winter).

It also has the added benefit of it doubling as a jump starter to combat the dreaded dead 12v battery.