Source For "Real" Spare Wheel

SnowStorm

What is the best source for a spare wheel like the one on the car?  Has anyone purchased from FinishLine or Midwest?  Was it a good wheel and did you get good service?  Any other source?  I want a real spare for out-of-the way trips!

When you say "real" do you mean full size?  If so, ebay and this forum both occasional have OEM wheels for sale; usually with tires too.  A full size wheel/tire combo will take up a HUGE amount of room in the hatch.

I bought my spare wheel and tire from the dealer where I bought my car.  It also came with Ford's tire air pressure measuring devise.

As to the space it takes up in the hatch area, I place my spare upside down so that I can use the concaved side  to hold things such as grocery bags, etc.  Seems to be worth living with for the security of having a real spare -- which I have had occasion to use.

I bought my spare wheel and tire from the dealer where I bought my car.  It also came with Ford's tire air pressure measuring devise.

As to the space it takes up in the hatch area, I place my spare upside down so that I can use the concaved side  to hold things such as grocery bags, etc.  Seems to be worth living with for the security of having a real spare -- which I have had occasion to use.

Tom -

What jack did you get to go with your spare?  The first jack I got was from an Escape.  I learned the hard way that it was too tall to slide under the car when a tire is flat.  I still need to get another jack to go with my donut spare (which performed flawlessly after AAA put it on for me).

Dave

When you say "real" do you mean full size?  If so, ebay and this forum both occasional have OEM wheels for sale; usually with tires too.  A full size wheel/tire combo will take up a HUGE amount of room in the hatch.

Yes, full size OEM wheel - just like on the car.  There is usually plenty of space.  I figure if I have to haul it in the car, cover it, strap it down, all that bother, it might as well be the real thing so I don't have to worry about limited speed/distance, swapping back to front or whatever.

Tom -

What jack did you get to go with your spare?  The first jack I got was from an Escape.  I learned the hard way that it was too tall to slide under the car when a tire is flat.  I still need to get another jack to go with my donut spare (which performed flawlessly after AAA put it on for me).

Dave

Dave,

I bought a scissor style jack and a lug wrench from the same Ford dealer for an Escape. Part numbers CP9Z*17032*A and CV6Z*17088*B.

Tom

Dave,

I bought a scissor style jack and a lug wrench from the same Ford dealer for an Escape. Part numbers CP9Z*17032*A and CV6Z*17088*B.

Tom

Tom,

Please clarify.  Does your scissor jack collapse low enough to get under the ac-max jack points with a completely flat tire?

Edited by Smiling Jack

Tom,

Please clarify.  Does your scissor jack collapse low enough to get under the ac-max jack points with a completely flat tire?

Well, you ask a question that I cannot truthfully answer.  I just went out and measured the jack. It's 5.5 inches at the highest point collapsed.  I also measured the space from the base of the plastic trim that runs along the door bottoms to the ground and it looks to be about 8 inches. So with a flat tire -- I don't know.  I just assumed it would fit.  I'm glad you asked and I will do more tomorrow to see what the story is. 

The one time I did have a flat tire I got AAA to put my spare on and I was not able to see what jack they used.

Well, you ask a question that I cannot truthfully answer.  I just went out and measured the jack. It's 5.5 inches at the highest point collapsed.  I also measured the space from the base of the plastic trim that runs along the door bottoms to the ground and it looks to be about 8 inches. So with a flat tire -- I don't know.  I just assumed it would fit.  I'm glad you asked and I will do more tomorrow to see what the story is. 

The one time I did have a flat tire I got AAA to put my spare on and I was not able to see what jack they used.

Thanks, Tom.

Let's not hope for a flat just so that we can measure !

Tom -

Your jack is too tall to fit under the car if you get a flat.  The jack I have is 5.75 inches when made as low as possible.  I had a flat on the right rear and it was not even close to fitting.  My jack has an "extension" from the top of the scissor to the contact point that adds a good 2.5 inches to the jack height.  Without this I suspect it would fit when a tire is flat.

Tom -

Your jack is too tall to fit under the car if you get a flat.  The jack I have is 5.75 inches when made as low as possible.  I had a flat on the right rear and it was not even close to fitting.  My jack has an "extension" from the top of the scissor to the contact point that adds a good 2.5 inches to the jack height.  Without this I suspect it would fit when a tire is flat.

Well, this is a hell of a note!  What jack did you buy?

Here's a calculation I made on the height of jack needed if a rear tire is completely flat a month or so ago in another thread.

The height to the bottom of the rear jack point pinch weld is about 6 5/8" above the ground.  The rear rim appears to be about 3" above the ground normally.  So, with a complete flat tire the rim might be only a 1/2 inch off the ground or the axle has been lowered around 2 1/2 inches.  The difference between the front and rear axle is about 9 feet and the jack point is 2 1/2  feet in front of the rear axle.  So,  the jack point would be (6.5/9) * 2.5" =  1.8 inches lower than normal. Let's say 2" lower for 2/10" safety factor.  That would put the clearance at about 4 5/8" from bottom of pinch weld to ground.  A typical scissors jack will have a slot for the pinch weld to ride in.  So, to be safe so that one can slide the jack in the pinch weld. I would try to find a scissors jack that is close to 4 inches to also account for the possibility that the ground could be uneven and perhaps raised.

If one is going to carry a spare, why not also just carry a floor jack instead of a scissors jack.  My floor jack is 3 inches high.  

Well, this is a hell of a note!  What jack did you buy?

Tom -

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  The jack I bought was from an Escape.  The part number on the base of the jack is is BCP9-17080-CB-EQPCCXZ.  This jack came with a nice foam block to store the jack in and a lug wrench (that was too small for the lug nuts on the C-Max).

Here's a calculation I made on the height of jack needed if a rear tire is completely flat a month or so ago in another thread.

The height to the bottom of the rear jack point pinch weld is about 6 5/8" above the ground.  The rear rim appears to be about 3" above the ground normally.  So, with a complete flat tire the rim might be only a 1/2 inch off the ground or the axle has been lowered around 2 1/2 inches.  The difference between the front and rear axle is about 9 feet and the jack point is 2 1/2  feet in front of the rear axle.  So,  the jack point would be (6.5/9) * 2.5" =  1.8 inches lower than normal. Let's say 2" lower for 2/10" safety factor.  That would put the clearance at about 4 5/8" from bottom of pinch weld to ground.  A typical scissors jack will have a slot for the pinch weld to ride in.  So, to be safe so that one can slide the jack in the pinch weld. I would try to find a scissors jack that is close to 4 inches to also account for the possibility that the ground could be uneven and perhaps raised.

If one is going to carry a spare, why not also just carry a floor jack instead of a scissors jack.  My floor jack is 3 inches high.  

Please provide more information about your floor jack. Make, model , place of purchase, etc. Thanks, Tom

Please provide more information about your floor jack. Make, model , place of purchase, etc. Thanks, Tom

Harbor Freight several years ago like this one.  I've seen this one at a lower price occasionally and you usually can find a 20% off coupon on one item.  Just a caution and that is a floor jack doesn't work well unless its wheels / rollers can roll such that the jack moves as the car is being raised.  

Harbor Freight several years ago like this one. I've seen this one at a lower price occasionally and you usually can find a 20% off coupon on one item. Just a caution and that is a floor jack doesn't work well unless its wheels / rollers can roll such that the jack moves as the car is being raised.

I was going to ask how much it weighs, but I found the weight at the link you provided - 42 lbs.

Does it roll around in the back of your car? Leak oil/hydraulic fluid?

I

I was going to ask how much it weighs, but I found the weight at the link you provided - 42 lbs.

Does it roll around in the back of your car? Leak oil/hydraulic fluid?

Harbor Freight does have a lighter one that is 1 1/2 tons. I don't have a spare tire so I don't carry it. But, I'd probably secure it in the hatch area if I carried it. Hasn't leaked in about 4 years of ownership but I only use it maybe 10 times a year (40 times lifting). This floor jack replaced an all steel, heavier floor jack that was probably 15 years old that did begin to leak. I would top it up but eventually it wouldn't hold enough pressure to get the car off the ground.

Not trying to deter the quest for the right size jack, if mine didn't fit, could drive the car's wheel with the flat up on a rock or a brick or a curb, or be in a position so the jack is recessed, like digging a recess for the jack.

Harbor Freight several years ago like this one.  I've seen this one at a lower price occasionally and you usually can find a 20% off coupon on one item.  Just a caution and that is a floor jack doesn't work well unless its wheels / rollers can roll such that the jack moves as the car is being raised.  

Thanks for the info and the tip.

Not trying to deter the quest for the right size jack, if mine didn't fit, could drive the car's wheel with the flat up on a rock or a brick or a curb, or be in a position so the jack is recessed, like digging a recess for the jack.

Thanks, and good suggestion.

• 1 month later...

Well, The Enterprise has a "real" spare (full size).  Now where do I put it?  Bought a used wheel from Robbin's Auto Parts in Henrietta, NC for $150 and $25 shipping.  Absolutely beautiful.  Complete with center emblem and TPMS sensor.  The dealer only had access to new ones (a bit over $500) but looked it up on car-part.com and found quite a few.  They use that sight for locating parts for the body shop.  Our Michelin dealer had the C-Max tire in stock so had one put on (balanced great).  About $400 total for peace of mind in the back country.  Figure I'll start a 5 tire rotation pattern when I need new tires.  Will only lug it around when I need it! ;)

I bought a jack similar to this one, but I can't remember where. It was out of a mail order catalog. I have used it on my wifes Pontiac Solstice (which sits very low to the ground). It raised the tire easily for removal and came with a carry case. I'm not at home so can't give you the measurements but it is about the same size as my Craftsman ratchet set.

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Scissor-Jack-Auto-Lift/dp/B0046C60B6#productDetails

Edited by MichaelM