Constant Creaking from Doors, Windows and Trim

jeff-tx

Hi Everyone,

Looking through the forums, I only found a couple topics addressing the creaking noise coming from around both front doors and possibly the back doors. For an otherwise quiet car, the constant, plasticky creaking while driving, turning, going up/down a driveway, around a corner, etc. where the body flexes is getting more and more bothersome because it's right near my ears. It wasn't like this during the first year I owned the car.

During my last service, I had the Ford dealership investigate, they said that they lubricated the door seals, but that made no difference and I wasn't ready to leave the car with them for another whole day just for the creaks, so I decided to try and remedy the problem myself. I bought a can of silicone spray lubricant and went over all the seals. There are several layers of seals, on the door, on the body, on the trim, between the plastic, all over. I was generous with the spray on the seals and the body, hoping it would work. No luck.

What I noticed was the cheap, shiny, plastic band of trim on the B-pillar, outside of the car, that goes along the rear, vertical edge of the window, (where you most naturally push to close the door) flexes a lot and creaks a lot. I sprayed the silicone all around that plastic and moved it around as much as I could to get silicone between the plastic and the metal of the frame. That quieted the creaks a little, but they soon returned full force. This is one junky piece of trim that looks and feels poorly fitted and fastened. Anyone agree?

Another thing that I noticed is that if I lightly and quickly press down on the power window button to move the windows down a millimeter or so, the creaking nearly stops. As soon as you roll the windows up all the way, the creaking comes back instantly. I'm wondering if the pressure of the window glass being pushed all the way up into the door seal is creating an outward pressure and tight fit of all the plastic in the glass surround.  If I drive with the windows down any amount, the creaking is not noticeable at all.

Does anyone else have this creaking problem? Do you notice if you lightly and quickly press and release the power window button to bring it down a few millimeters if the creaking stops?

Thanks for any comments you might have. I'm not sure another trip to the dealer to take apart all that plastic trim on the doors might help. If it's a design flaw that reveals itself after 1.5 years of use, I might be wasting my time.

Jeff

I don't think it's the exterior plastic chrome strip, because my C-Max creaks too and it's the SE, which doesn't have that strip. I assume it's the very long rubber seals around our very tall doors - I was going to try silicone spray, but it sounds like I shouldn't bother?

I am absolutely sure the creaking is from the shiny black vertical trim on the B pillars. It is held on with double faced tape according to my dealer. Many Fords and Volvos over the past several model years use this type of trim. They don't creak, snap and pop like the C-Max! Perhaps there is a problem with their installation. My dealer would try to reattach them but said they usually break if removed. My experience with dealers installing trim and window molding has been poor. Any one up to try it?

Edited by PJFW8

I would try felt sticky tape.  Easy to cut and layer if needed.  Used it years ago on a creaky dash.  Expanding foam could be really hard to work with and could expand too much and break the surface.  Also if expanding foam get on any undesired surface it could be really hard to remove.

• 4 weeks later...

I too am now experiencing the creaking. It's so weird, like driving an old ship. I have found that while driving slowly, if I open the driver's door an inch or so, it seems to dissipate, so it must relate to the door seals, yes? The dealer did lube them but it made no difference, and of course, I noticed no creak when test driving a new Energi on their lot.

I may be lucky enough to meet with an engineer in a few weeks, in which case I'll go over my lengthy list of suggestions.

this problem started in my car about 1 month ago, loudest at the driver's door.

I have isolated the problem. It most probably has something to do with the weatherstripping at the top of the window, as others have reported. 

I was able to isolate the problem by testing for the noise with the window slightly open. Other posters report this, too. By slightly open I mean the barest fraction of an inch, which can be done by tapping the window control as lightly as possible so that the window just barely moves. Opening the tiniest gap at the top of the window makes the creaking cease. At high speed on the highway there would be a whistle, but at 10-30 MPH in town there is no whistle and one can tell the creaking is not happening. Closing the window all the way makes the creaking return. It is the contact between the window and the weatherstripping inside the top channel that is the source location of the noise.

At my next service & recall appointment i will ask the dealer service department about the noise problem. When I have a chance I might test what happens with a thin piece of felt or perhaps T-shirt fabric temporarily layered on top of the weatherstripping (easily put in place, easily removed if no adhesives are used - just a test for a possible band-aid fix).

It is possible that removing and re-installing the weatherstripping might help or might reveal another clue. It would be easy to do, but I'd rather have the dealer do it just in case the weatherstripping is flimsy and rips - then they would need to replace it. Costs $100 plus retail, I think.

I apply silicone spray to all 8 sets of weather stripping (the door has a set and the body has a set) every couple of months/several car washes.  It takes a day or two for the full lubricating effect to take but it does silence or greatly reduce any squeaks.   I usually make a special trip to an auto parts store but I recently found my local walmart now carries it in spray can form.

I give up with this car. I still have the sound, and you should be able to drive a car with the windows closed. I did see somebody mention struts on this website as well. Door panels didn't work. Ford has produced the biggest P.O.S. product in my opinion. How many recalls has this car had? Four? Then there was the improper lubricating of the suspension in a TSB. Also had a deformed weather stripping. And don't get me started on the people. They replaced my door with the wrong part! I know I am ranting, but just so frustrated that a car that is only 18 months old would have all these issues. I bought this car so that my driving would be trouble free, and it has not met the goal.  :drop:

I apply silicone spray to all 8 sets of weather stripping (the door has a set and the body has a set) every couple of months/several car washes.  It takes a day or two for the full lubricating effect to take but it does silence or greatly reduce any squeaks.   I usually make a special trip to an auto parts store but I recently found my local walmart now carries it in spray can form.

I think I have localized the creaking to the fuzzy weatherstripping in the window channel, not the rubber weather seals for the door. Silicone would work on the rubber seals. On the fuzzy channel weatherstripping for the window I've got to think it would create a mess and would not work.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Had same problem noise. Just touch down button on window and noise is gone. Solved the problem by lowering the window, putting my fingers as deep as I could into the top fuzzy window groove and pulling outward while working my fingers in from left to right. The sound is gone and has not returned. Simple but effective for me. Pulled fairly hard but not enough to hurt anything. Noise was driving me nuts. Hope this might help someone! Love my CMAX!

• 2 weeks later...

I too am now experiencing the creaking. It's so weird, like driving an old ship. I have found that while driving slowly, if I open the driver's door an inch or so, it seems to dissipate, so it must relate to the door seals, yes? The dealer did lube them but it made no difference, and of course, I noticed no creak when test driving a new Energi on their lot.

I may be lucky enough to meet with an engineer in a few weeks, in which case I'll go over my lengthy list of suggestions.

The creaking is gone! The dealer replaced the following parts. The interior door panels were not replaced.

AM5Z 5820555 A door moulding outside

AM5Z 5820554 A door moulding outside

AM5Z 58255A35 A moulding

AM5Z 58255A34 A moulding

AM5Z 58255A35 B moulding door window frame

AM5Z 58255A34 B moulding door window frame

AM5Z 5825767 B run door glass

AM5Z 5825766 A weatherstrip door belt

AM5Z 5821597 A run door glass

AM5Z 5821596 B weatherstrip door glass

Just for fun, I added all the parts to the online Ford parts store:

Item Description Fulfillment       Price Per Item Quantity Subtotal WEATHERSTRIP - DOOR GLASS CHAN

Part #: AM5Z5821596B

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable       $148.88

Update

Remove $148.88 RUN - DOOR GLASS

Part #: AM5Z5821597A

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable       $125.75

Update

Remove $125.75 WEATHERSTRIP - DOOR BELT

Part #: AM5Z5825766A

Pack Qty: 1 Pick-up Only       $133.72

Update

Remove $133.72 RUN - DOOR GLASS

Part #: AM5Z5825767B

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable       $116.18

Update

Remove $116.18 MOULDING - DOOR WINDOW FRAME

Part #: AM5Z58255A34B

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable       $60.83

Update

Remove $60.83 MOULDING - DOOR WINDOW FRAME

Part #: AM5Z58255A35B

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable       $61.07

Update

Remove $61.07 MOULDING

Part #: AM5Z58255A34A

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable       $64.40

Update

Remove $64.40 MOULDING

Part #: AM5Z58255A35A

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable       $64.40

Update

Remove $64.40 MOULDING - DOOR OUTSIDE

Part #: AM5Z5820554A

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable       $65.58

Update

Remove $65.58 MOULDING - DOOR OUTSIDE

Part #: AM5Z5820555A

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable       $65.58

Update

Remove $65.58

clear.gif?v=26
Parts Subtotal: $906.39 Total: $906.39

That's what I have suspected to be the cause.  I generously applies silicone lubricant at the top of the trim and allowed it to run under the plastic A and B pillar trim.  The creaking went away.  After 2 weeks minor creaking has returned. Ford has trimmed their cars this way for years. Perhaps the glue or tape was changed?

• 1 month later...

I, too, have this issue. When I explained to the dealership that my car sounds like an old pirate ship they didn't know wtf to do about it. Unfortunately, they couldn't fix it before my warranty ran out. Bummer.

If you brought it to the dealer when the warranty was still in effect they need to keep working on it - doesn't matter that you are past warranty now.

My creaking has gotten worse over the last few months.. Really sounds like the windshield is about to pop out... It's embarrassing when others ride in my car.. So we are off to the service department this Friday...

I, too, have this issue.  When I explained to the dealership that my car sounds like an old pirate ship they didn't know wtf to do about it.  Unfortunately, they couldn't fix it before my warranty ran out.  Bummer.

Hi folks,

Don't forget that I'm here to help. If you've already had your dealership check this out, send me a PM with your details so I can research ways to assist. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Hi folks,

Don't forget that I'm here to help. If you've already had your dealership check this out, send me a PM with your details so I can research ways to assist. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Tried to PM you but it said you cannot accept new messages at this time.

Tried to PM you but it said you cannot accept new messages at this time.

+1   -  I just experienced the same problem.

Hmm, that's unusual. I'm still getting messages from other folks, so maybe give it another shot? If you're still running into problems sending me a PM, you can always contact our Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673; they can provide the same assistance that I can.

Crystal