Ford identifies error, lowers EPA fuel economy ratings for six vehicles

kostby

Link to source document: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2014/06/12/ford-motor-company-lowers-fuel-economy-ratings--for-six-vehicles.html

FORD MOTOR COMPANY LOWERS FUEL ECONOMY RATINGS FOR SIX VEHICLES

• Ford identified an error with fuel economy ratings for certain vehicles through its internal testing and notified the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
  • Ford worked with EPA as the agency retested the vehicles, which resulted in lower fuel economy ratings for Ford’s 2013- and 2014-model year hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles, as well as most 2014-model year Fiestas
  • The company apologizes to its customers, and will make goodwill payments to owners of the approximately 200,000 affected U.S. vehicles for the difference between the previous and revised ratings
  • Ford reviewed its entire line up to determine the vehicles that required further testing and revised the fuel economy ratings for the affected vehicles. No other fuel economy ratings adjustments are planned

Ford Motor Company announced today it is lowering the fuel economy ratings for its 2013- and 2014-model year hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles, as well as most 2014-model year Fiestas.

Ford identified an error with fuel economy ratings on certain vehicles through its internal testing and notified EPA. The company worked with EPA as the agency retested the vehicles to determine the correct fuel economy ratings.

“Ford is absolutely committed to delivering top fuel economy and accurate information,” said Alan Mulally, Ford president and CEO. “We apologize to our customers and will provide goodwill payments to affected owners. We also are taking steps to improve our processes and prevent issues like this from happening again.”

Ford reviewed its entire line up to determine the vehicles that required further testing and revised the fuel economy ratings for the affected vehicles. No other label adjustments are planned.

“This is our error. When we see an issue, we address it,” said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development. “That is why we notified EPA and lowered the fuel economy ratings for these vehicles.”

Fuel Economy Testing

Fuel economy testing involves many factors. Ford’s error was specific to a factor called "Total Road Load Horsepower", or TRLHP. TRLHP is a vehicle-specific resistance level used in vehicle dynamometer testing that determines fuel economy ratings. TRLHP is established through engineering models that are validated through vehicle testing, including physical track tests referred to as coastdown testing.

Use of these engineering models is a common industry practice, consistent with EPA regulations. These models normally are more reliable and consistent than physical vehicle tests, which can exhibit variability.

As an ongoing practice, Ford conducts tests on production vehicles to validate its engineering models. Based on coastdown testing of the Fusion Hybrid, the company found the TRLHP did not match the values used for the dynamometer testing.

Upon further testing, Ford also discovered an error specific to how we correlate wind tunnel results into the TRLHP model. Ford’s error was the result of a recent process change, which the company has since corrected.

Ford has now validated through physical vehicle testing the TRLHP for the vehicles affected by this error and also has instituted enhanced validation tests for future vehicles to prevent reoccurrence of this error.

New Fuel Economy Ratings and Customer Information

Ford has communicated to its dealers that new fuel economy labels will be available in approximately six days and that dealers may continue selling the vehicles until the new labels are received. 

Ford estimates that approximately 200,000 of these vehicles have been sold or leased to customers in the United States. Affected Ford and Lincoln owners and lessees in the United States will receive a goodwill payment for the estimated average fuel cost of the difference between the two fuel economy labels, as shown in the table below.

Affected U.S. fleet owners and affected owners outside of the United States will be contacted by their local Ford representatives.

Customers with questions can contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332 or visit:www.ford.com/mpglabel  and www.lincoln.com/mpglabel.

U.S. EPA-Estimated Fuel Economy Label Ratings and Goodwill Payments*

Model Year

Vehicle

Powertrain

Revised

(City, Highway, Combined)

Previous

(City, Highway, Combined)

Lease Customers

Purchase
Customers

Fiesta

1.0L GTDI M/T

31 / 43 / 36

32  / 45 /  37

$125

$200

1.6L A/T

27 / 37 / 31

29  / 39 /  32

$150

$250

1.6L SFE A/T

28 / 38 / 32

30  / 41 /  34

$275

$450

1.6L M/T

28 / 36 / 31

27  / 38 /  31

Combined MPG not affected

Combined MPG not affected

2013-14

C-MAX

Hybrid

42  / 37 / 40

45  / 40 /  43

$300

$475

Fusion

Hybrid

44 / 41 / 42

47  / 47 /  47

$450

$775

MKZ

Hybrid

38 / 37 / 38

45  / 45 /  45

$625

$1,050

Model Year

Vehicle

Powertrain

Revised**

(Charge Sustaining, Charge Depleting, EV Range)

Previous**

(Charge Sustaining, Charge Depleting, EV Range)

Lease Customers

Purchase
Customers

2013-14

C-MAX Energi

Plug-in Hybrid

38 mpg  / 88 MPGe+ /

19 mi EV range

43 mpg / 100 MPGe+  /

21 mi EV range

$475

$775

Fusion Energi

Plug-in Hybrid

38 mpg  / 88 MPGe+  /

19 mi EV range

43 mpg  / 100 MPGe+ /

21 mi EV range

$525

$850

*Bolded figures in the above chart represent the values used to determine the customer goodwill payment.

** Combined numbers only.  Revised EPA-estimated ratings: 40 city, 36 highway MPG; 95 city, 81 highway MPGe. Charge depleting range is 20 mi.  Previous EPA-estimated ratings: 44 city, 41 highway MPG; 108 city, 92 hwy MPGe. Previous charge depleting range was 21.   

+MPGe is the EPA equivalent measure of gasoline fuel efficiency for electric mode operation.

EDIT - the table didn't paste well at all, please view the source document to make sense of it.

EDIT 2 -  Original numbers were 47/47/47, revised in August 2013 to 45/40/43, and today, June 12, 2014, to 42 City/37 Highway/40 Combined

Bottom line, 2013 and 2014 C-MAX buyers get $475, $300 if you're leasing.

Luckily, my C-MAX, built April 2013 can't read, so it still "thinks" it should get higher EPA numbers!

Edited by kostby

Bottom line is we early buyers now get a $1,025 total goodwill payment, $550 for 47>43mpg due to incorrect use of a common weight class, now another $475 for 43>40mpg due to an incorrect estimate of parasitic losses...

To me, the resulting ratings look like what you get if you let the car do all the hypermiling... CU must be happy.

Have fun,

Frank

"Do early 2013 hybrid owners (original 47/47/47 window sticker) get a second rebate ($475)?

Doug , I thought the same thing, but from the release, I think the early adopters will be compensated.  The original payment was for lowering from the 47/47/47 rating to what has now been again replaced with updates (lower) ratings.

C-Max just keeps getting better and better, last tank 49mpg, Thanks Ford.

I think the latest revised figures are now too low.  Future owners, unaware of the previous ratings, will experience the "under promise, over deliver" phenomenon and be very happy when they easily beat the new EPA numbers.

Doug , I thought the same thing, but from the release, I think the early adopters will be compensated.  The original payment was for lowering from the 47/47/47 rating to what has now been again replaced with updates (lower) ratings.

Yeah, I think (and hope) you are right.  Looks like us "original gangsters" will get a second check; with me personally getting three total ($1800)!  :happy feet:

Edited by fotomoto

I think the latest revised figures are now too low.  Future owners, unaware of the previous ratings, will experience the "under promise, over deliver" phenomenon and be very happy when they easily beat the new EPA numbers.

I think so too but fuelly does show 40mpg as the center of the histogram.

This implies the $475 is on top of the $550 for CMAX Hybrid...but I agree that it is a little vague:

Previous EPA-estimated 45/40/43MPG city/hwy/combined

Revised EPA-estimated 42/37/40MPG city/hwy/combined

Goodwill Payment $475.00

What are you doing for customers?
We apologize to our customers and affected owners will receive a goodwill payment for the difference between the prior and new combined fuel economy ratings.

I purchased my 2013 C-Max as a Certified Used from a Ford dealer.  Does anyone know if I will be eligible for the goodwill payment?  My sticker said 44mpg I believe...

"If you have questions or concerns, we’re standing by to answer them. Please don’t hesitate to contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332 and one of our dedicated representatives will be happy to assist you. For the hearing impaired call 1-800-232-5952 (TDD). Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Eastern Time). If you prefer to contact us online, please email us or log on to www.Fordowner.com. Information is also available at your nearest dealer."

Edited by kostby

Luckily, my C-MAX, built April 2013 can't read, so it still "thinks" it should get higher EPA numbers!

Neither can ours!  Lifetime at 47.3 with 35,000 miles, 47.5 since August upgrade, last trip of 630 miles 61.1 MPG!  All while getting paid back almost 3 cents / mile. That makes gas cost only $2 / gallon!

Or, leave the price at $3.40 / gallon and it is equivalent to getting 80 MPG!!!happy%20feet.gif :yahoo: :drool: :clapping: :shift:  Awesome car!

All I can say is wohoo! My wife did not want me to buy my new 2014 red SEL a few weeks ago. I sure am happy I did not listen to her and wait! With under 700 miles and not broken in, I am getting over 42mpg combined on my second tank. From all I have read, it should get better after it breaks in, and now Ford is going to generously refund me $475. That will cover a third of the cost of the Ford 7 year extended warranty I plan on purchasing this year.