Wash and Wax

Washed and waxed my one week old C-Max SEL today. I must say, Ford is getting pretty good at their painting. I was hard pressed to find maybe one tiny flaw on the entire car. I only noticed it because I waxed the car, but it looked like maybe a piece of dust or small grain of dirt in the paint or underneath the clear coat. That's it. Well done.

For those who want to keep you car really shiny, I ran across Zaino Brothers (http://zainostore.com/) products some years ago. They are popular among car show people, but make a product that gives a good shine and lasts a good while. I've used them for a number of years. and always have a good finish. Also, before you do the first coat of wax, you should clean your vehicle with detailer's clay. Especially if your vehicle has been transported by rail, there's abraisive dust on the surface that you want to get off.

I second on the waxing. My C-Max looked good when I picked it up but after two washes it didn't feel smooth. I think the dealerships do a wash and a quick spray wax to make it look nice but that's not a substitute for a full wax. I waxed mine with just a standard wax and it was night and day. Water now beads on the paint and contaminants aren't sticking to the paint as easily.

Edited by dtorres

I second on the waxing. My C-Max looked good when I picked it up but after two washes it didn't feel smooth. I think the dealerships do a wash and a quick spray wax to make it look nice but that's not a substitute for a full wax. I waxed mine with just a standard wax and it was night and day. Water now beads on the paint and contaminants aren't sticking to the paint as easily.

What type of wax do you use?

What type of wax do you use?

I use NuFinish because Consumer Reports did tests and recommended it (granted that was probably 15 years ago). I'm sure there's better waxes out there now but I've used it for so long it's just habit now. I try to wax the cars 2 or 3 times per year.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a big fan of Prima Car Care products. Expensive, but worth it. Their Epic polish and wax is excellent. Pretty easy to apply and buff off the liquid wax. Excellent results. They sell an entire line of interior vinyl and leather protectants as well as pro-type detailer scratch removers. No, I am not affiliated with them - just a very satisfied customer.

http://primacarcare.com/Prima_Products.html

I used the Mother's clay bar kit last weekend and the paint on my Tuxedo Black SE is as smooth as glass. First I washed the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid to strip off the quickie spray wax that the dealer applied.

A reminder: You should never use dishwashing liquid like Dawn to do routine car washing.

After the clay bar treatment I followed it up with some Mother's Carnauba Cleaner Wax. With winter weather almost here, this wax job will have to last until March or April. I've used Xymol in the past with good results. I switched to the Mother's products because the Xymol wax residue can be stubborn and difficult to remove. On the other hand, Xymol smells like bananas!

I washed mine with down first to remove all the crap from dealer, then clay bar to get all the train and other stuff off, it was real easy since it's barealy a month old. Then another was with meguiars car wash. Now the important stuff, Wolfgang Paint Sealer 3.0, let it sit for a while buff it off. Let it sit overnight in garage, and put on Pinnacle Series 2 wax. Looks amazing, now all set for a while, will do regular washes and apply the spray wax for about 8 weeks, then see how it holds up.

I am a member of Porsche Club of America, so I am part of the anal car care brigade.  But once reading the Porsche owners manual I saw that they recommend using a wash and wax combo to wash.  So I tried Meguiars wash and wax, and I was floored by how nice the cars look.  Not quite as good as a good manual polish and wax with carnauba, but plenty good especially since it takes very little time, very little work.

For the leather, I recommend Gliptone conditioner.  This stuff does a great job keeping the leather supple but best of all it restores the great leather smell, unlike any other conditioner I have used. 

Jerry

For those of you with black paint, here's a great product that I found, and used with great results.  I found it at walmat, for just 16.98.  The Pre-Wax cleaner acts like a claybar application, cleaning the surface, that and the wax is tinted with black pigment.  I swore I would never own a black car again, I have owned 3, the C-Max is my fourth black car.  There was a rock ding on the hood of the car when I got it.  I had the dealer fix the hood at an auto body shop, but that left a little cip in the paint surface.  With the black pigment in the wax I was able to cover up the chip and you can not tell it was ever there.  Black cars always are the hardest to keep looking clean IMO, so this product really worked well to make the paint look exceptional, especially in the bright sunlight. 

turtle_wax_black_box_T3KT.jpg
  • An all-in-one solution to one of the most frequently asked questions in car care: What should I use on my black car? The Black Box is a unique blend of newly developed products and the process gives the deepest, wettest black shine.
    FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO WWW.TURTLEWAXBLACKBOX.COM
    < >Can be used to protect a new finish as well as restore the clarity of an older neglected black finish.One-of-a-kind black tinted pre-cleaner and conditioner removes scratches, swirl marks and surface contaminants.The pre-cleaner is quickly and easily removed with the unique black tinted spray detailer, fortified with micronized carnauba, preparing the surface for waxing.Can be used on black metallic finishes.Hand or machine application.How do I use?

1.) Wash and thoroughly dry car. Use a high quality, non-spotting vehicle wash such as Turtle Wax® Ice® Car Wash. Vehicle finish should be cool to the touch. Do not apply in direct sunlight.
    2.) Use gloves if hands are sensitive to car wax and/or black pigments.
    3.) Apply Step 1, Black Pre-Wax Cleaner & Conditioner to applicator and apply to vehicle using a back and forth motion to deep clean finish. Let dry to a haze. Apply to one section of the vehicle at a time.
    4.) Lightly mist Black Spray Detailer onto a folded micro-fiber cloth or onto surface and remove polish. Use the same applicator and micro fiber towel until entire vehicle has been prepared with Step 1.
    5.) Using the other applicator, apply Step 2, Black Carnauba Blend Wax, to the vehicle finish using a back and forth motion. Let dry to a haze.
    6.) Lightly mist Black Spray Detailer onto a fresh, folded micro fiber towel or onto waxed surface and lightly buff to a high gloss shine turning cloth frequently.
    7.) Use a clean micro fiber towel and Black Spray Detailer for a final wipe of each section to enhance finish.
    8.) Wash hands thoroughly after use.

I washed mine the 2nd day I got it, then I clayed down the whole car and applied Klasse acrylic paint sealant followed by the Meguire wax - super, super smooth.

It sounds kinda stupid to clay down a brand new car as part of the detailing but I believe the paint is filled with crap from the rails and transportation and plus, it gave me a really close look at the finish of the car. I have to say Ford did a great job on my Platinum White - bar the very, very top roof where there was a paint flaw. So I took some time to clean that up but since it's the roof, I ain't too worried after sealing the whole car with Klasse. It's really, really good stuff - use it sparingly otherwise its a big elbow job.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Ok hear with me as I'm not a car person or a detailer. When using the clay bar, do you put the clay on a rag and then onto the car or do you rub the bar on the car? Totally clueless and haven't bought it yet to be able to read the directions. Do you need an electric buffer to take it off?

Ok you can all stop laughing now and return to your regular programming. Haha

I just washed and waxed using Nu Finish (no clay bar). It took a long time as I think the temp had something to do with it (about 50 in my garage).  I noticed some imperfections on the driver's door paint.  Lots of little bumps or red dots.  Standing back, you can't see it but you can under a light. 

• 2 months later...