Maxus and a Pruis V owner

mtb9153

I had a conversation with a Pruis-V owner who approached me the other day while I was getting into Maxus.  He asked me how I liked my CMax, I told him I loved it and would buy another for my wife if I could afford another car payment.  He said he looked at the CMax but was not impressed with the cargo room so decided to get the Pruis-V since it has more cargo carrying space.  Is this true or is he just making himself feel better because get bought the wrong car?

It's true.  According to the EPA, the CMax is classified as a large car with 3 cubic feet larger interior (the area most folks use the most) but the v which is classified as a midsize wagon has a whopping 10 more cubic feet larger hatch.  Another benefit is the v's rear seats slide fore/aft so they can also recline backwards for added rear passenger comfort on long rides.    For me, the v easily wins this category but loses on all the others with power and acceleration being its worst attribute.   I think a plug in version with a more powerful electric motor would be an awesome hybrid.

I had a conversation with a Pruis-V owner who approached me the other day while I was getting into Maxus.  He asked me how I liked my CMax, I told him I loved it and would buy another for my wife if I could afford another car payment.  He said he looked at the CMax but was not impressed with the cargo room so decided to get the Pruis-V since it has more cargo carrying space.  Is this true or is he just making himself feel better because get bought the wrong car?

You would need the extra space real bad to justify buying a PriusV. It is hard to imagine you would buy a PriusV after driving a CMAX.  The CMAX has more Occupant Space than Prius V. :) 

Paul 

First impression is the best - just like in golf, the 1st club you pull is generally the true club to use. So yeah - I suspect it's true - people like to validate what they purchased is the best for them, human nature.

The real question, Brother Mike, is whether this guy truly has a need for all that extra room and space, was he a commercial driver? As you know my wife and I drive to Mammoth all the time and we really load up the CMax, we're not small packers - at least not my wifey. All our gear use to be carried by a "long extended" Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas AS WELL as a large Jaguar Thule box on the roof rack - now everything fits into the CMax. Its huge in the CMax aka TARDIS (if you don't know what a Tardis is, go google it). Also, my hunch is that he's also a former Prius owner.

At the end of the day - no matter who approaches you about the CMax - if you're happy and you clearly are, thats all that count :)

I had a 2010 prius (hatch)  and when it got squished  I was looking very hard at the prius v.  My sailinghobby  I need the longer space.  I was able to fit my stuff into my prius,  but it wasn't comfortable...so the V was a viable option.

I did a 25 mile test drive in the V.  it drove just like the prius.  uninspiring,  but capable.

I liked how the rear seats moved.  but i did not like the fit finish of the rear cargo area when compared the prius hatch  or the c-max.  In the end for me,  price won out.  I got a nearly loaded 2013 cmax, low miles for 19200 and factory bumper to bumper warranty while the v's were a couple thousand more with higher miles...and the only warranty was the powertrain...

I was able to squeeze my boats into the c-max  and I like the interior more than the prius...wish my cmax had nav, the only down side..  w

First impression is the best - just like in golf, the 1st club you pull is generally the true club to use. So yeah - I suspect it's true - people like to validate what they purchased is the best for them, human nature.

The real question, Brother Mike, is whether this guy truly has a need for all that extra room and space, was he a commercial driver? As you know my wife and I drive to Mammoth all the time and we really load up the CMax, we're not small packers - at least not my wifey. All our gear use to be carried by a "long extended" Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas AS WELL as a large Jaguar Thule box on the roof rack - now everything fits into the CMax. Its huge in the CMax aka TARDIS (if you don't know what a Tardis is, go google it). Also, my hunch is that he's also a former Prius owner.

At the end of the day - no matter who approaches you about the CMax - if you're happy and you clearly are, thats all that count :)

Good thoughts brother Jus.  We didn't get into why he felt the Prius had more room he seemed  little standoffish as he approached me so I didn't want get heavy with him as to what his reasoning was or mine.  So was a short conversation with just talking that he liked the room better in the "V"

Edited by mtb9153

Good thoughts brother Jus.  We didn't get into why he felt the Prius had more room he seemed  little standoffish as he approached me so I didn't want get heavy with him as to what his reasoning was or mine.  So was a short conversation with just talking that he liked the room better in the "V"

...now, that is telling.

Thanks everyone for your input.  I never compared the "V" before buying Maxus.  I bought her solely on first sight after she was unloaded from the truck and my like for the Ford mark.  Wanted a hybrid and it had to be American, simple decision.  Volt was a consideration for a bit but with my family history through previous cars brought from Frontier Ford the choice was simple.  Plus the day I first saw Maxus another buyer came by to check her out and sit behind the wheel and in the back seat while playing with the interior,  He clearly sent allot of time with the "V" and he said the CMax was clearly a much better car, both certainly in power and creature comforts.  He said the V is cheap and plastic and rough riding over the CMax..."SOLD" I told him quickly this CMAx was mine since I already told my salesman I wanted it once it came in.

I was thinking about the Volt, but when I saw the actual car on the dealer lots which was way different from the first introduced model on the show floor, too bad, and I did not get one.  I may get it if it had more storage space and at much lower price.  Also is it still true the Volt still using premium gas and not regular gas?

Also is it still true the Volt still using premium gas and not regular gas?

Yes.  Although you can use regular if you want or need to, it will reduce fuel economy.    There are frequent discussions on the volt forum about if the cost/mile is the same.  :spend:

• 1 month later...

I test drove a Prius V when I was shopping. I liked the cargo space, since I tend to haul around a lot of bikes (inside and out) and haul large stuff for working on the house.  I couldn't get out of it fast enough.  The space was nice, but it was so sluggish when it was empty near the beach that I couldn't imagine driving it loaded up the hill to my house.  Or getting onto the 110 from one of super short on ramps with a stop at the bottom.  It rapidly narrowed me down to Cmax vs Impreza Sport.

I was at the Chevy dealer looking at a new Malibu Eco when a lady drove up in a C-Max Energi, so I asked her how she liked it

and she was very happy with it. I didn't even know it existed until she parked it in the lot next to me.  After leaving the Chevy

dealer and waiting to see what they had to say about financing, I went the next day to look at the C-Max. I had a deal set,

but the owner of the dealer changed the deal on me. I had to go to another dealer and made the purchase of my 2013 NRG.

I haven't looked back since. Sold the 13 and picked up the 14. Wouldn't even consider another car at this point and

I had never considered a Ford before. I really enjoy my NRG and like how Ford Credit handled both deals :happy feet:

Edited by drdiesel1

r u sure you :flirt:  the NRG and not -secretly- wanting a regular hybrid, been prolific here dude. (Jus like Nick wants a Prius, we know....)

:lol: Nope! I just love the C-MAx and there is a lot of good information and activity on this site.

It's the same car except for the added battery/EV feature :shift: Oh and the trans pump :love_shower:

Edited by drdiesel1

........................ (Jus like Nick wants a Prius, we know....)

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: BAD JUS, VERY BAD JUS !!!

V, is for Very roomy boot, otherwise a Very lousy refrigerator - get a Kitchen Aid, or pretty much anything else..

nonononono Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: BAD JUS, VERY BAD JUS !!!

V, is for Very roomy boot, otherwise a Very lousy refrigerator - get a Kitchen Aid, or pretty much anything else..

nonononono Nick

crap - busted by the Nickster :confused:

Speaking of which, I had a great conversation with a couple at the golf range this evening who was asking about my CMax. Of course, I told them to drive a Prii first and then drive a CMax and then they will see what a superior car the Prii is. I also laid out your line, press the accelerator and then wait... :waiting:tick, tick, tick ...wait.... :waiting: ..."tick, tick, tick...waiting anytime now for the CMax to accelerate....tick, tick, tick...."

:redcard:  I know me bad. I hearby self ban myself from myself :gaah:

If they drive the Prissy first then will never want a hybrid.  LOL.

If I hadn't already driven the C-Max when I borrowed my friend's Prissys (V and regular) *I* would have thought that ("Stupid hybrids -- they obviously can't drive worth a damn").  Not only that, I almost got killed in the V due to the lack of acceleration (and if so, would never have bought my C-Max.  Logically speaking).  So there's that.

.................. Of course, I told them to drive a Prii first and then drive a CMax and then they will see what a superior car the Prii C-Max is. I also laid out your line, press the accelerator and then wait... :waiting:tick, tick, tick ...wait.... :waiting: ..."tick, tick, tick...waiting anytime now for the CMax Priiius to accelerate....tick, tick, tick...."

:redcard:  I know me bad. I hearby self ban myself from myself

:gaah: is right, sure wish this site was self correcting,

"If they drive the Priussy first, then they will never want a hybrid."

Sadly, for many folks, you are sooooo right Kelleytoons !

Edited by C-MaxSea

We drove all the Prius models before buying our C-Max.  We found the Prius' to be very utilitarian in design.  Much like a Volkswagen bug.  We did like the Prius V the best of the Prius's that we tried.  Indeed it seemed quite a bit roomier than the C-Max --more like a Van than a car.  Our Toyota sales person was outstanding--low key and helpful and volunteered to let us keep the V overnight.  Hubby actually strongly considered the V and it was me that voted on buying the C-Max.  During the buying phase we had a very informed sales woman and she probably was the reason we ordered our C-Max.  By the time our C-Max arrived, she had jumped ship and gone to a different company. So frustrations with Ford began.  I still view the Prius as a little work horse--kind of plain with no real guts, but a car that will be around for a long--sort of the little engine that could.  The C-Max has lots of pep and elegance, but it has not appealed to the hybrid fans in our neck of the woods.  Not sure why other than that utilitarian style is sort of like wearing a badge indicating that the driver is willing to sacrifice to save fuel??  I guess it is nearly 2 years since we bought our C-Max and I have only seen 2 or 3 in the wild in that time, and have only had maybe 2 people ask about the car.  I do note that our Ice Storm SEL with the panorama roof looks almost identical to the Prius V that comes in a similar colour.  I have mistakenly gone up to one of those Prius V's thinking it was my car.  So probably no one voices interest in the C-Max s they think it is a Prius V.

We drove all the Prius models before buying our C-Max.  We found the Prius' to be very utilitarian in design.  Much like a Volkswagen bug.  We did like the Prius V the best of the Prius's that we tried.  Indeed it seemed quite a bit roomier than the C-Max --more like a Van than a car.  Our Toyota sales person was outstanding--low key and helpful and volunteered to let us keep the V overnight.  Hubby actually strongly considered the V and it was me that voted on buying the C-Max.  During the buying phase we had a very informed sales woman and she probably was the reason we ordered our C-Max.  By the time our C-Max arrived, she had jumped ship and gone to a different company. So frustrations with Ford began.  I still view the Prius as a little work horse--kind of plain with no real guts, but a car that will be around for a long--sort of the little engine that could.  The C-Max has lots of pep and elegance, but it has not appealed to the hybrid fans in our neck of the woods.  Not sure why other than that utilitarian style is sort of like wearing a badge indicating that the driver is willing to sacrifice to save fuel??  I guess it is nearly 2 years since we bought our C-Max and I have only seen 2 or 3 in the wild in that time, and have only had maybe 2 people ask about the car.  I do note that our Ice Storm SEL with the panorama roof looks almost identical to the Prius V that comes in a similar colour.  I have mistakenly gone up to one of those Prius V's thinking it was my car.  So probably no one voices interest in the C-Max s they think it is a Prius V.

I find it highly unlikely anyone could confuse the C-Max with a Toyota :lol2: