Yellow Brake Score in Coach

Has anyone ever gotten a yellow brake score in coach?

One driver of our C-Max consistently brings the car home with a yellow brake score in coach and a trip brake score is the low 80's.

I suspect the worst part of this is not the brake score itself, but the missed opportunities to coast/glide with no fuel use and no use of the brake pedal.

You can roughly calculate the lost efficiency.

For example:

Lifetime Brake Score: 90%

Lifetime Regen Miles: 500

Odometer Miles: 10,000

Lifetime MPG: 40.0

First, calculate how many regen miles have been lost. Take the brake score number you'd like to use for comparison and subtract your current brake score. In this example let's compare what would have happened if this owner were to have a 99% Lifetime Brake Score. (0.99 - 0.90 = 0.07)

Then multiply that number times your Lifetime Regen Miles to see how much regen has been lost. (500 x 0.07 = 35)

Now calculate how much fuel has been used in the Lifetime of the vehicle. (10000 / 40 = 250 gallons)

Now add the lost regen to your odometer and calculate your new Lifetime MPG with the higher brake score. (10035 / 250 = 40.14)

Now you can use that new MPG number to calculate how many gallons extra you've used in your Lifetime because of the lower brake score. (10000 / 40.14 = 249.1)

So, from this you can see that in this hypothetical scenario an improvement in brake score from 90% to 99% would mean very little. Thus, you cannot state that a low brake score causes low MPGs. There might be a high correlation, but correlation is not causation.

However, a low brake score is likely indicative of a different style of driving. Style of driving would have a causal relationship to MPG results.

Has anyone ever gotten a yellow brake score in coach?

One driver of our C-Max consistently brings the car home with a yellow brake score in coach and a trip brake score is the low 80's.

I suspect the worst part of this is not the brake score itself, but the missed opportunities to coast/glide with no fuel use and no use of the brake pedal.

I suggest Hybrid Driver Training. LOL  :shift:  I do like the Idea of the Smart Gauge yelling at them when they aren't doing a good job.LOL :lol: :lol2:

Paul

You can roughly calculate the lost efficiency.

For example:

Lifetime Brake Score: 90%

Lifetime Regen Miles: 500

Odometer Miles: 10,000

Lifetime MPG: 40.0

First, calculate how many regen miles have been lost. Take the brake score number you'd like to use for comparison and subtract your current brake score. In this example let's compare what would have happened if this owner were to have a 99% Lifetime Brake Score. (0.99 - 0.90 = 0.07)

Then multiply that number times your Lifetime Regen Miles to see how much regen has been lost. (500 x 0.07 = 35)

Now calculate how much fuel has been used in the Lifetime of the vehicle. (10000 / 40 = 250 gallons)

Now add the lost regen to your odometer and calculate your new Lifetime MPG with the higher brake score. (10035 / 250 = 40.14)

Now you can use that new MPG number to calculate how many gallons extra you've used in your Lifetime because of the lower brake score. (10000 / 40.14 = 249.1)

So, from this you can see that in this hypothetical scenario an improvement in brake score from 90% to 99% would mean very little. Thus, you cannot state that a low brake score causes low MPGs. There might be a high correlation, but correlation is not causation.

However, a low brake score is likely indicative of a different style of driving. Style of driving would have a causal relationship to MPG results.

In your example the Brake Score doesn't have much impact on MPG's. I'm starting a new thread for MPG info. :)

Paul

Actually a jump from 90-99% brake score would have very little total impact, The total impact of regen in my driving is about 10% in rural driving (1.5 miles in 15), but only 2% on the highway (0.2 miles in 20) because of fewer stops. 10% of 10% is 1% - tiny at best.

That said, the 10% regen contribution off-highway is nothing to sneeze at... wouldn't want to drive without it now that I see the brakes as even more of an enemy (they are still the enemy of spirited driving!)

HAve fun,

Frank