Post Your Life Time MPG's, Total Mi., EV mi., Regen mi. and Brake Score

ptjones

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is my lifetime MPG but I don't think I have a summary screen on my 2014.  I could not find that. 

48.3 MPG in about 30K miles.  Michigan winters too. 

What about Trip 2, do you clear it when you fillup? Members that have 2014 and newer CMAX's shouldn't clear Trip 2 until you get 10k mi., except I think EV only gets to 999mi. So in the final analysis the best way is to take a pic of trip gauge at every fillup with cell phone so you have permanent record. I do this for Fuelly so I have 226 pics on my iPhone. :) It is a shame FORD did away with the Life Time Display. :sad:

Paul 

What about Trip 2, do you clear it when you fillup? Members that have 2014 and newer CMAX's shouldn't clear Trip 2 until you get 10k mi., except I think EV only gets to 999mi. So in the final analysis the best way is to take a pic of trip gauge at every fillup with cell phone so you have permanent record. I do this for Fuelly so I have 226 pics on my iPhone. :) It is a shame FORD did away with the Life Time Display. :sad:

Paul 

I actually record my information in a spreadsheet, every time I fill up.

I actually record my information in a spreadsheet, every time I fill up.

Personally, I just use Fuelly, I am really happy with the various options and often I update it right at the station.

I keep wondering if I should post about this but I'm curious if there is anything I should check. My fuel economy is killing me this summer. Granted, many of my trips are short (under 10 miles) in the afternoon, but in July I had a couple of fill ups where I averaged 35 mpg. On these daytime trips, I often get 30 mpg or less; a trip yesterday of about 8 miles and I got under 35 mpg -- this is a trip I can typically get 45-50 mpg.

I'll admit this has been a hot summer -- feel like temperatures have been in the 105 to 110 range most of the time, so I do suspect most of the issue is how hard the A/C is working, particularly when the car has been in the sun. To give you an idea, as I type this at 7:30 pm, the outdoor temp is still 95 and the feel like temp is 109. After dark, even with the A/C still running (actual temps still over 80 degrees), I am back at my usual 40-50 mpg (depending on the trips). I've had the A/C checked and was told it is working fine. Any thoughts -- or is this just how hot is has been?

One other note, I recently returned from a long trip with my C-Max. I drove the speed limit -- which for at least half the trip was 75. On the way there, roughly 1500 miles traveled and was 5,000 feet higher at my destination than at the start, and the car claimed 39.9 mpg (per the Trip Odometer). On the return trip, based on numbers I have in Fuelly, I got 39.3 mpg. I'm pretty happy with those numbers considering the speeds I drove, I largely just set the cruise control (Eco Cruise).

Personally, I just use Fuelly, I am really happy with the various options and often I update it right at the station.

I keep wondering if I should post about this but I'm curious if there is anything I should check. My fuel economy is killing me this summer. Granted, many of my trips are short (under 10 miles) in the afternoon, but in July I had a couple of fill ups where I averaged 35 mpg. On these daytime trips, I often get 30 mpg or less; a trip yesterday of about 8 miles and I got under 35 mpg -- this is a trip I can typically get 45-50 mpg.

I'll admit this has been a hot summer -- feel like temperatures have been in the 105 to 110 range most of the time, so I do suspect most of the issue is how hard the A/C is working, particularly when the car has been in the sun. To give you an idea, as I type this at 7:30 pm, the outdoor temp is still 95 and the feel like temp is 109. After dark, even with the A/C still running (actual temps still over 80 degrees), I am back at my usual 40-50 mpg (depending on the trips). I've had the A/C checked and was told it is working fine. Any thoughts -- or is this just how hot is has been?

One other note, I recently returned from a long trip with my C-Max. I drove the speed limit -- which for at least half the trip was 75. On the way there, roughly 1500 miles traveled and was 5,000 feet higher at my destination than at the start, and the car claimed 39.9 mpg (per the Trip Odometer). On the return trip, based on numbers I have in Fuelly, I got 39.3 mpg. I'm pretty happy with those numbers considering the speeds I drove, I largely just set the cruise control (Eco Cruise).

The air condition is on recirculate ?   ( I was in Houston in August when I was in my 20s.  Sat out and ate lunch at the University of Houston - about 40 minutes.  Got super ill really quick.  It gets really hot out there. ) 

The air condition is on recirculate ?   ( I was in Houston in August when I was in my 20s.  Sat out and ate lunch at the University of Houston - about 40 minutes.  Got super ill really quick.  It gets really hot out there. ) 

Yes, as a general rule I always keep recirculate on when the A/C is running (the exception was the long trip I took). Houston's heat is often deceptive, since most summers there aren't many days over 100, just that you have very high humidity (often between 90 and 100% in the morning hours). I've been keeping late hours this week, so at 2 am it is still 82 degrees and "only" 82% humidity, which gives a feels like temperature of 90.

...My fuel economy is killing me this summer. Granted, many of my trips are short (under 10 miles) in the afternoon, but in July I had a couple of fill ups where I averaged 35 mpg. On these daytime trips, I often get 30 mpg or less; a trip yesterday of about 8 miles and I got under 35 mpg -- this is a trip I can typically get 45-50 mpg.

....One other note, I recently returned from a long trip with my C-Max. I drove the speed limit -- which for at least half the trip was 75. On the way there, roughly 1500 miles traveled and was 5,000 feet higher at my destination than at the start, and the car claimed 39.9 mpg (per the Trip Odometer). On the return trip, based on numbers I have in Fuelly, I got 39.3 mpg. I'm pretty happy with those numbers considering the speeds I drove, I largely just set the cruise control (Eco Cruise).

If you look at your Climate Control screen you'll see that upon startup the compressor motor will likely run between 4-5 kW when the temp is high.  In Phoenix, at 105 F (but will lower humidity than Houston), I'd have to drive at least one mile before the load would drop to maybe 1.5 - 2 kW eventually settling down to around 400 Watts or so.   I'm sure that removing more water from the more humid air would increase the total load and energy usage on the HVAC in Houston over Phoenix.  At 4-5 kW, the compressor motor IIRC spins at about 3500 rpm.  At 400 watts or so, the rpm drops to IIRC around 950 rpm.

Bottom line is the HVAC load at slower speeds, shorter distances in hot / humid climates will significantly affect FE absent the HVAC load.  Not much you can do but shut off the AC and roll the windows down.

Also, I just completed a 3900 mile round trip from TN to Phoenix.  My overall average was 38.7 mpg.  My average moving time speed per Garmin was 73 mpg.  From Pnoenix through Texas on I40, I ran with cruise at 78-79 mpg (75 MPH speed limit).  The rest of the trip was with cruise at 73-75 mpg (70 mph speed limit).  Of course there were cities like Albuquerque, Amarillo, OK City, and so forth that the speed were less.

To get on topic, it's trips like this that pull my overall FE down to around 41 mpg.  At least half my 74 k miles on my car are with such trips.

Now if you want to increase FE on long road trips, try drafting.  I did on recent trip for about 20 miles.  Here's the results of drafting behind a semi vs not drafting on I40 between Memphis, TN and Jackson, Tn.  The C-Max is a 47 mpg car on the highway at 72 mph. ;)   Also, my results virtually mirror MythBuster results on drafting.

gallery_167_32_11084.png

Paul 

That is what I do.  Trip 1 is FE and Trip 2 is oil change.  Don't take pics much but I do log on Fuely.  I will have to look at Trip 2 again. 

Well, I have an Energi, so I also need to calculate MPGe, and do a comparison of costs to drive hybrid vs. using my house electricity. So far I'm saving a few bucks each tank by plugging the car in, but I'm keeping my eye on it.

That is what I do.  Trip 1 is FE and Trip 2 is oil change.  Don't take pics much but I do log on Fuely.  I will have to look at Trip 2 again. 

Trip 2 oil change is a great idea! Mine hasn't been reset since the 13B07 PCM reprogramming. It seemed like a good idea except for a lack of digits on the displays (they roll over too fast). Maybe next change...

Frank