Persistance pays off

Cowspotdog

My ninth time taking my little C-max back in for battery problem and they "finally" discovered it was faulty and have replaced it.  I must admit the guys at our Ford dealer were sceptical and  I am pretty sure they thought I was some crazy lady when I told about it 'humming' from the back when it was turned off and that I KNEW if it did that .......I had to turn the back on and off to stop it otherwise the battery would dead next morning.  Well darn if I wasn't right !  Now it is just a case of wait and see if this battery works any better and for how long :)

My ninth time taking my little C-max back in for battery problem and they "finally" discovered it was faulty and have replaced it.  I must admit the guys at our Ford dealer were sceptical and  I am pretty sure they thought I was some crazy lady when I told about it 'humming' from the back when it was turned off and that I KNEW if it did that .......I had to turn the back on and off to stop it otherwise the battery would dead next morning.  Well darn if I wasn't right !  Now it is just a case of wait and see if this battery works any better and for how long :)

Do you have a 12volt jumper battery? I'm afraid to say this but 12volt battery don't fail without some help IMO. Something is draining the battery. I have heard that humming sound in the back too, I turn the car back on and then off which solves the problem. :)

Paul

Sorry amigo--I just looked it up in the owner's manual because I thought I was losing my mind.

Page 260: (discussing jump starting your car):  "Your vehicle has a 12 volt battery that has two prongs accessible from under the HOOD".  You can see the red positive terminal cover in the upper right of the picture in the link, above the suspiciously battery-like black box.

Page 260: (discussing jump starting your car):  "Your vehicle has a 12 volt battery that has two prongs accessible from under the HOOD".  You can see the red positive terminal cover in the upper right of the picture in the link, above the suspiciously battery-like black box.

Those are just connections, the actual battery is in the back of the car. Here's the back of my car with some of the plastic removed.

ass_end.jpg

My apologies--I stand corrected.   So you jump the car using the connections under the hood, but the battery is actually 12 feet away under the trunk?  Wierd.

They may have just run out of room under the hood. Another possibility is to keep it a short distance from the DC-DC converter used to charge the battery.

"Depending on the vehicle and environmental conditions, the Direct Current/Direct Current (DC/DC) converter control module is capable of outputting as many as 145 amps to the 12-volt battery."

I'm going to guess you have an SE with the 200a package and live where it rains a lot. :dance:

Your battery died because it had been completely discharger 8 times :drop:, surprising that it lasted this long.

Did you send Ashley your information?

If your dealer is only updating the software and charging your battery then Ashley will explain to them that there are several electric connectors, the water pump and the radio that need to be looked at then repaired/replaced.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Do you have a 12volt jumper battery? I'm afraid to say this but 12volt battery don't fail without some help IMO. Something is draining the battery. I have heard that humming sound in the back too, I turn the car back on and then off which solves the problem. :)

Paul

Paul I've been hearing a buzzing sound but I think it is from the front while sitting in the driveway turned on with the A/C on.  I assume it is the electric compressor?

I've been told the Ford engineers do not have the answer to the battery being drained.  How could a mechanic at a dealer figure it out?  I'm skeptical about anyone on this forum saying their 2013 CMax SE is fixed when there have been no recalls, etc. from Ford. 

Cowspotdog:    IL state law says 4 times at the dealer without problem resolved or 30 BUSINESS days out of service qualifies for the Lemon Law. Why have you waited so long to start the procedure?  You more than qualify right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul

Paul would that be the blower fan which cools the HV battery unit?  Seems like it would have an audible sound when running?

Paul would that be the blower fan which cools the HV battery unit?  Seems like it would have an audible sound when running?

That is what I thought, but the sound seems to be coming from underneath the car. When I hear the sound I turn the car on and off and the noise goes away. I was thinking the fuel pump maybe, but not sure. :) 

Paul 

" I recorded this last year."  so what do you think the noise is? :)

IIRC from that thread, we "decided" it was fuel system maintenance but never came to definite conclusion.  I can't say I've ever heard it on my NRG because  A) I don't usually hang out in my garage listening to my cars LOL and B) the EV charging fans would easily drown out this sound.

• 2 weeks later...