What format USB cards work?

I'm starting another topic because it's a *bit* different than my first one.

While waiting for my 128gb USB card to arrive I thought I'd try some smaller ones just to see how they work.  The answer?  They don't.

I tried seven different ones, all of which work fine on my computer and other media players, and in each case I get a "USB device not supported" message (or some such).  Huh?  How can that be?  Is my car broken, or is Ford just VERY picky about what formats and/or hardware is compatible.

For the most part these are NTFS formatted, but I can retry with FAT (although it will have to be EX-FAT in order to accommodate the larger sizes).  And these are all "standard" hardware types -- Lexar, Patriot, Scandisk, Verbatim, etc.  However, if anyone knows a particular one they've gotten to work I'd appreciate knowing (along with format type, please).

Edited by Kelleytoons

Ah, nevermind -- answered my own question.

It definitely has to be FAT (or FAT32 if you have a larger size device).  Those work just fine.

Also, on another forum (not here) someone couldn't get their music to play if it was organized in folders, but it works for me just fine (I also optimized the folders using the WIndows customize options).

Um, I can't speak for a system without MFT, but some people on other forums had better luck with their music by organizing it in Windows Explorer using:

First set the current folder to optimize for Music (Use the Music Template):
Right Click Folder > Properties > Customize > Choose "Music" from dropdown list

So you could try that for all your folders and see if it helps.

Edited by Kelleytoons

I can't believe it - just today I was trying to get SYNC to recognize mp3 files inside folders and couldn't.  All files had to be in root position.  Is there any way to navigate into the folders?  I have an SE without MFT.

All my files are inside folders.  I use Windows Media Player to sync to the drive and it worked just fine.  It puts the music in Artist and the Album folders.

In the past I've heard about strange characters in file/folder names and in the file meta data that can cause problems with SYNC.

• 11 months later...