Tinting Windows

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I thought it should logically be here and a search didn't reveal it.  I'm used to a car with tinted windows and this wasn't an option on mine (don't know if it's an option at all, but not with the one we got).  I'd like to get the windows tinted as much as I can, everywhere I can, and was wondering what folks have done here about this.

Anyone use their dealership for this or an outside service?  I'd love to know the pros and cons, as well as where and what you tinted.  Here in the hot Florida sun any help I can get from the heat is appreciated (and tinting never bothers me during night driving).

Search Google for Florida tint laws.  You can go darker but run the risk of "getting caught" for illegal tint and have to remove it.  The dealer had 3M Color Stable 35% already on driver's, passenger's, and the two little front windows and had 20% on everything else.  Window Sticker showed $599 (lifetime warranty) which I ended getting thrown in for nothing with my X-Plan pricing in Dec. 2012.  Here's a 3-M comparison of tints.

Decide on quality / type / light transmission of tint you want. Get prices from reputable tint shops.  They will likely all beat the dealer price.  Also, you can probably find guys on Craigslist to install tint if you want to save money. but likely won't get a guarantee worth anything nor be sure what tint you are really getting.  I also had a mid-grade SunTech tint on my Jetta for 4 years with no issues.

I found a shop I really liked (in terms of Yelp ratings it was the highest, with beaucoup compliments from all) and he quoted me $170 so we're getting it done tomorrow afternoon.  That was for all windows other than the front (I assume you did not tint your front windshield, right?).

Thanks for the help, guys -- I think I would have just had my dealer do this otherwise (and I'm sure it would have cost a lot more, although I didn't ask).  For that price with a lifetime warranty I don't think I'm going wrong.

I think most states like AZ do not allow the windshield to be tinted except for the very top few inches.  I don't like the looks of the top few inches of the windshield tinted but a 5% (or even 20%) tint would certainly help block the sun when we travel in early morning / late evening into the sun.  

$170 is a very good price. Just make sure the tint is warranted against fading or turning purple like many did years ago.

So after pouring through the other threads (particularly the long one) and going around the net looking, I'm still a little uncertain as to how dark to go.

I don't have a rear camera, so don't want to darken my visibility too much in the back.  Coming from our Durango (which came stock with very dark tint on the rear and back windows which seemed to be fine -- don't ask me the percentage because that was a decade and a half ago and I have no idea) I know that I really like having the windows tinted.  In our Florida sun it's really a must... but visibility will always be important to me (although we don't do a lot of night driving).

Florida rules are 28 and 15, but I suspect that's darker than I would ever need.  Just based on comments here, I was thinking that 35% all around would be okay, but would appreciate others thoughts on the subject.  Again, my biggest concern is not so much privacy as it is heat/AC load (although it's also nice not to be in a fish bowl :>).

Okay, just to close this thread out, I had the windows all done at 35 and that seems fine -- I wouldn't have wanted to go darker.

I also went ceramic because it does seem to block out a lot more of the heat.  Cost a bit more (about $50 more than the original quoted price) but in the Florida sun it probably is worth it.

have always had tinted windows...  had several cars in florida  and had 5-10% back in the early 90's before tint laws really became a thing...

went 35% all the way around with a 5% strip to the as1 line on the windshield on the C-max  got the 3m tint... after tax it was just under $300...

in VA  my front windows are now "illegal"  but  I don't think the c-max is going to garner a whole lot of police attention...

Tint laws are *very* strange -- you'd think there would be some national standards.  Looking at the state chart I can see that my relatively conservatively tinted C-Max is still "illegal" in a handful of states and D.C. (including places within reasonable driving distance of me).  Obviously this isn't a situation where it's high enough on anyone's radar to be fixed, but you'd think at the very least the national highway system would have one law that everyone could follow (and thus you'd only be at risk when leaving the highways).

It's almost as if every single state would have different laws for headlights and turn signals -- imagine how much of a PITA that would be!

If I ever did get ticketed in another state I'd just ignore it (assuming I was just visiting).

Edited by Kelleytoons

you'd also be able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the cop is being a huge prick...

Ahem -- yes, much, MUCH later, if I ever went to court (because trying to prove ANYTHING to a cop is just asking for trouble, and they will be happy to oblige).

But I suspect I'd just tear up the ticket and never visit that state again (seriously).

You don't want to tear up a ticket most states now all talk to one another and you will find yourself having trouble getting your license renewed.

Funny how even on boards with police officers posting there is no agreement on other states rules vs the state you are passing thru

http://forums.officer.com/t85260/

and 

http://www.redding.com/news/monty-hight-tinted-windows-legal-elsewhere-may

Seems like if your state does not issue front plates  and you are in a front plate state you could get pulled over and given a ticket technically.

Edited by komondor

Maybe the best thing to do is to never travel to any other state (only half kidding).

I'm guessing that most border states more or less respect those folks passing through.  Georgia, for example, would kind of be hurting themselves if they were to hassle Florida folks who don't need front plates.  But that's just my guess -- who knows?  The only thing I do know for sure is that treating any police officer with less than the respect you would give an honored king is a sure way to get brutalized and/or taken advantage of.  I understand -- it's a tough job and one I would never want myself, but it's also a position that many abuse.

(And I SERIOUSLY doubt whether Florida would hassle me about registration for a ticket about something that doesn't match their own laws -- but in any case it wouldn't affect me as my license lasts another 10 years before renewal :>).

You don't want to tear up a ticket ............................

My father once pretended to tear up a ticket.  While the cop who wrote the ticket gazed elsewhere, Dad slipped the ticket into his pocket and took out a large index card which he tore into pieces and threw down in front of the cop. 

The officer responded by writing Dad a ticket for littering the highway. 

I just got my car windows tinted all around in 3M Crystalline 60 with exception of the windshield. The heat rejection is fantastic and hopefully in the future my left arm won't be darker than my right one. The only issue I have is not with the tint but how it was installed, the tinter seems to have botched the rear window as it has a bunch of smudge and tool markings in it. Will probably get it redone.

I would be careful about tinting the windshield as its a very hard windshield to tint. The tint shop I went to suggested Suntek CXP 80 on the windshield as its the most optically transparent in the 80+ catagory but the tinter couldn't get it to apply without wrinkling. From my research here's a brief breakdown of what I found on most windshield tints.

- 3M Cystalline: causes a wavyness or distortion on steep angled windows like the c-max since its so thick

- Llumar Air Blue: has a fine graininess to it which causes a speckle pattern and halos on bright lights at night

- Suntek CXP 80: has had a bad reputation for being hazy and not very clear but apparently Suntek has addressed this problem. Didn't get it so I don't know.

- Pinnacle Forumla 1: Same film as Llumar Air Blue

- Huber Optek: too thick to apply on windshields

- Photosync: very expensive and hard to find

don't be too quick to take it back.  I had some smudges on my 3m as well.  it cleared up well within a couple weeks.  Also after a week hit it with some vinegar/water cleaner.

my only complaint about my installer  was the amount of soap/water spots on the dash from doing the windshield tint strip

I just got my car windows tinted all around in 3M Crystalline 60 with exception of the windshield. The heat rejection is fantastic and hopefully in the future my left arm won't be darker than my right one. The only issue I have is not with the tint but how it was installed, the tinter seems to have botched the rear window as it has a bunch of smudge and tool markings in it. Will probably get it redone.

I would be careful about tinting the windshield as its a very hard windshield to tint. The tint shop I went to suggested Suntek CXP 80 on the windshield as its the most optically transparent in the 80+ catagory but the tinter couldn't get it to apply without wrinkling. From my research here's a brief breakdown of what I found on most windshield tints.

- 3M Cystalline: causes a wavyness or distortion on steep angled windows like the c-max since its so thick

- Llumar Air Blue: has a fine graininess to it which causes a speckle pattern and halos on bright lights at night

- Suntek CXP 80: has had a bad reputation for being hazy and not very clear but apparently Suntek has addressed this problem. Didn't get it so I don't know.

- Pinnacle Forumla 1: Same film as Llumar Air Blue

- Huber Optek: too thick to apply on windshields

- Photosync: very expensive and hard to find

I have Crystalline 70 on the front Windshield. Everyone I know says they didn't notice it until I pointed it out to them.  I'm happy with it.

• 1 month later...

I just got the CS20 3M film on my 5 rear windows (nothing on the front sides though) and it's perfect for my purposes. Here's some info on that product line:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UgxGCuNyXTtnxfVMXT_EVtQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=Color%20Stable%20Brochure%2098-0150-01

3M also has some other higher end stuff that rejects more heat, etc, but I'm not one to spend that kind of cash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thinking about getting light tint (35%) on my wifes C-MAX. I've been tinting my cars for 10 years and it's hard to drive a car without it. My wife likes it, but wants it lighter than my Fusion.

Here is a quick photoshop I did of what I think it will look like with light tint

cmaxtint_zps192002cf.jpg

Much lighter than my fusion... which has the sides and rears 5% and the windshield 35%

image2_zps9f219aa9.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

My cousin lived in AZ at the time this happened.  He had a Chevy with the driver and passenger windows tinted as well.  (AS whoever said they need windows tinted in the southwestern desert of the US)   Just shortly after crossing over into the Californbia side of the border, a CHP cruiser stopped him and gave him a ticket for tinted driver and passenger window (after first cruising next to him and checking out the windows).  Since he rarely drove into CA, he ignored it for some time.  He checked occaisionaly with his other cousin in CA who was a local police officer with a small city in the LA area who would check from time to time to see if it was still on the books, and it was, and the fine grew from whatever small fine it was to a quite large one.  So our local police officer cousin pulled some strings and got it off of the books.  But can you imagine just perhaps he might be renting a car (which he sometimes did) and might get stopped for some small infraction and they checked his record and found him in the state of CA with a still unpaid warrent out?  "Never mind where you're going, son, we gonna take yer ass off to jail here in CA until you pay UP!"