Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Tinting Windows

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RobMax

RobMax

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 158 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Sterling Gray Metallic C-Max Hybrid SE

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

I just got the CS20 3M film on my 5 rear windows (nothing on the front sides though) and it's perfect for my purposes. Here's some info on that product line:

http://multimedia.3m...hure 98-0150-01

3M also has some other higher end stuff that rejects more heat, etc, but I'm not one to spend that kind of cash.

• MomsHugs likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   MomsHugs

MomsHugs

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for the 3M brochure, Rob. Now to ask the dealer who is the best installer around here. The salesman said they come out to my place to install. Is that best?

#23 OFFLINE   Kunari

Kunari

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 33 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationSLC, Utah
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

I'm getting mine tinted tomorrow to the legal limit in my state.  I've tinted the windows in my previous cars and it really helps keep the summer heat out. 

#24 OFFLINE   Ruby14SEL

Ruby14SEL

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 24 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2014 CMAX SEL

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:34 PM

Thinking about getting light tint (35%) on my wifes C-MAX. I've been tinting my cars for 10 years and it's hard to drive a car without it. My wife likes it, but wants it lighter than my Fusion.

Here is a quick photoshop I did of what I think it will look like with light tint

cmaxtint_zps192002cf.jpg

Much lighter than my fusion... which has the sides and rears 5% and the windshield 35%

image2_zps9f219aa9.jpg 

#25 OFFLINE   BoomerGer

BoomerGer

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 38 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSunny, Southern CA
  • Current Vehicle:Focus

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

My cousin lived in AZ at the time this happened.  He had a Chevy with the driver and passenger windows tinted as well.  (AS whoever said they need windows tinted in the southwestern desert of the US)   Just shortly after crossing over into the Californbia side of the border, a CHP cruiser stopped him and gave him a ticket for tinted driver and passenger window (after first cruising next to him and checking out the windows).  Since he rarely drove into CA, he ignored it for some time.  He checked occaisionaly with his other cousin in CA who was a local police officer with a small city in the LA area who would check from time to time to see if it was still on the books, and it was, and the fine grew from whatever small fine it was to a quite large one.  So our local police officer cousin pulled some strings and got it off of the books.  But can you imagine just perhaps he might be renting a car (which he sometimes did) and might get stopped for some small infraction and they checked his record and found him in the state of CA with a still unpaid warrent out?  "Never mind where you're going, son, we gonna take yer ass off to jail here in CA until you pay UP!"

#26 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:00 PM

My cousin lived in AZ at the time this happened.  He had a Chevy with the driver and passenger windows tinted as well.  (AS whoever said they need windows tinted in the southwestern desert of the US)   Just shortly after crossing over into the Californbia side of the border, a CHP cruiser stopped him and gave him a ticket for tinted driver and passenger window (after first cruising next to him and checking out the windows).  Since he rarely drove into CA, he ignored it for some time.  He checked occaisionaly with his other cousin in CA who was a local police officer with a small city in the LA area who would check from time to time to see if it was still on the books, and it was, and the fine grew from whatever small fine it was to a quite large one.  So our local police officer cousin pulled some strings and got it off of the books.  But can you imagine just perhaps he might be renting a car (which he sometimes did) and might get stopped for some small infraction and they checked his record and found him in the state of CA with a still unpaid warrent out?  "Never mind where you're going, son, we gonna take yer ass off to jail here in CA until you pay UP!"

I think they would have waived the fine if he showed up with the tint removed within a certain time. At least that is how I understand it.

Of course, he would not have done that because he didn't live in CA! But it is of note to CA owners.

I've been debating, and I think I'm going to leave mine untinted. The glass has UV filters, which is what is important for skin health. I really debated doing my pano roof, but it is very pleasant to look through the way it is now.

#27 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 385 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

I got pulled over in Kansas once for speeding then a couple months later I got pulled over here in Indiana, they ran me and I had a warrant out of Kansas, they towed my car and I spent two days I'm jail and my $90 dollar ticket cost me $500. You don't want to play games with the law.

#28 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 534 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNorthern VA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

The reason you got locked up...was after not paying the speeding ticket  you DL was suspended in Kansas.  and since Kansas and Indiana have non resident reciprocity  what happens to your DL in another state  generally will follow you home. 

and once the police pull you over for some other infraction and they run your DL...all the fun begins...

Alaska does not participate in the non resident reciprocity.  IE  they don't give a damn  if you get a ticket in another state.

In the past  non resident reciprocity  used to be only with neighboring states.  but the ages of computers and realtime data changed all of that..

basically... its is smart to pay your tickets in a timely fashion...

#29 OFFLINE   SPL Tech

SPL Tech

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 286 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationhome
  • Current Vehicle:c-max 2013 SL

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:16 PM

I would imagine  that if you got pulled over in another state for window tint,  you'd be able to easily argue that your car is legal in the state its registered in  and you'd also be able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the cop is being a huge prick...

LOL that is not a legal defense. It does not matter the slightest if it is legal in your state, it's illegal in the state you are visiting. That is all that matters. If your tint is too dark in the state you live in, and the cop actually measures it, it is unlikely you will be able to get out of the ticket. If you want 50-state legal tint, go 70% on the front and 30% on the rear windows. Most of the time when someone gets a tint ticket, it's for violating the tint limitations on the front window.

Also, to the guy tho tinted his windshield, tinting your windshield is illegal in all 50 states except for the top 4-6" (width depending on the state).

Edited by SPL Tech, 24 November 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   Ruby14SEL

Ruby14SEL

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2014 CMAX SEL

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:28 PM

LOL that is not a legal defense. It does not matter the slightest if it is legal in your state, it's illegal in the state you are visiting. That is all that matters. If your tint is too dark in the state you live in, and the cop actually measures it, it is unlikely you will be able to get out of the ticket. If you want 50-state legal tint, go 70% on the front and 30% on the rear windows. Most of the time when someone gets a tint ticket, it's for violating the tint limitations on the front window.
Also, to the guy tho tinted his windshield, tinting your windshield is illegal in all 50 states except for the top 4-6" (width depending on the state).

I'm aware, but my eyes are super light sensitive and believe it or not it makes it easier for me to drive at night. It's a risk I'll take and I've been doing it for 10 years and have never been stopped for it.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·