Tinting Windows

My cousin lived in AZ at the time this happened.  He had a Chevy with the driver and passenger windows tinted as well.  (AS whoever said they need windows tinted in the southwestern desert of the US)   Just shortly after crossing over into the Californbia side of the border, a CHP cruiser stopped him and gave him a ticket for tinted driver and passenger window (after first cruising next to him and checking out the windows).  Since he rarely drove into CA, he ignored it for some time.  He checked occaisionaly with his other cousin in CA who was a local police officer with a small city in the LA area who would check from time to time to see if it was still on the books, and it was, and the fine grew from whatever small fine it was to a quite large one.  So our local police officer cousin pulled some strings and got it off of the books.  But can you imagine just perhaps he might be renting a car (which he sometimes did) and might get stopped for some small infraction and they checked his record and found him in the state of CA with a still unpaid warrent out?  "Never mind where you're going, son, we gonna take yer ass off to jail here in CA until you pay UP!"

I think they would have waived the fine if he showed up with the tint removed within a certain time. At least that is how I understand it.

Of course, he would not have done that because he didn't live in CA! But it is of note to CA owners.

I've been debating, and I think I'm going to leave mine untinted. The glass has UV filters, which is what is important for skin health. I really debated doing my pano roof, but it is very pleasant to look through the way it is now.

I got pulled over in Kansas once for speeding then a couple months later I got pulled over here in Indiana, they ran me and I had a warrant out of Kansas, they towed my car and I spent two days I'm jail and my $90 dollar ticket cost me $500. You don't want to play games with the law.

The reason you got locked up...was after not paying the speeding ticket  you DL was suspended in Kansas.  and since Kansas and Indiana have non resident reciprocity  what happens to your DL in another state  generally will follow you home. 

and once the police pull you over for some other infraction and they run your DL...all the fun begins...

Alaska does not participate in the non resident reciprocity.  IE  they don't give a damn  if you get a ticket in another state.

In the past  non resident reciprocity  used to be only with neighboring states.  but the ages of computers and realtime data changed all of that..

basically... its is smart to pay your tickets in a timely fashion...

• 2 weeks later...

I would imagine  that if you got pulled over in another state for window tint,  you'd be able to easily argue that your car is legal in the state its registered in  and you'd also be able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the cop is being a huge prick...

LOL that is not a legal defense. It does not matter the slightest if it is legal in your state, it's illegal in the state you are visiting. That is all that matters. If your tint is too dark in the state you live in, and the cop actually measures it, it is unlikely you will be able to get out of the ticket. If you want 50-state legal tint, go 70% on the front and 30% on the rear windows. Most of the time when someone gets a tint ticket, it's for violating the tint limitations on the front window.

Also, to the guy tho tinted his windshield, tinting your windshield is illegal in all 50 states except for the top 4-6" (width depending on the state).

Edited by SPL Tech

LOL that is not a legal defense. It does not matter the slightest if it is legal in your state, it's illegal in the state you are visiting. That is all that matters. If your tint is too dark in the state you live in, and the cop actually measures it, it is unlikely you will be able to get out of the ticket. If you want 50-state legal tint, go 70% on the front and 30% on the rear windows. Most of the time when someone gets a tint ticket, it's for violating the tint limitations on the front window.

Also, to the guy tho tinted his windshield, tinting your windshield is illegal in all 50 states except for the top 4-6" (width depending on the state).

I'm aware, but my eyes are super light sensitive and believe it or not it makes it easier for me to drive at night. It's a risk I'll take and I've been doing it for 10 years and have never been stopped for it.