Trunk stops closing

I find sometimes, seemingly randomly, when I start closing the trunk and lock the car, the trunk stops. One time I walked away while the trunk was closing and someone in the parking lot chased after me to let me know my trunk hadn't closed!

Has this happened to anyone else? Any guesses as to what causes it or how to avoid it? If I could repeat it I could at least show the dealer.

If you have the proximity sensors in the rear bumper, dirt on them or accidently walking into their sensing field can tell the hatch to stop closing. Sometimes I'll do the kick to close then walk too close to the bumper and have to do it again.

During the winter especially, snow and road crud blocks the sensors and either triggers the alarm every time I slow to <5 mph or wont let the hatch open thinking someone is too close. I clean them and then no problem.

Edited by MichaelM

Like a lot of other "features" on this car I've had to retrain myself.

We call it sneaking :flyaway:  up on the cmax.

When opening the hatch, don't stand to the side, it can see you and wont open.

When closing the hatch don't push the button and walk to the side, sneak away by taking a step straight back.