Problems while coasting

Alright, hopefully I'm not alone with this and someone can shed some insight. I recently purchased my used 2013 C-max SEL from a reputable dealer and LOVE it. I drove it off the lot with 23k miles on it and I was getting great gas mileage...

However, I have recently been having problems with it being difficult to start (i know, common problem) but lately it's been giving me all sorts of errors from service advanceTrac to power-train malfunction (the amber wrench icon) and sometimes when I let of the accelerator, instead to coasting it immediately slows to a stop (it feels like driving the car through wet sand.)

I think it's the regenerative breaking somehow applying but I'm not sure. During these times I cannot get into EV mode no matter what I do and the car gets absolutely TERRIBLE gas mileage. It's still under warranty so I'm taking it in Friday, but I am getting a little disappointed in this car that I absolutely dig. Any advice?

Edited by CircleCityIrish

I had the same message.  The code stored was U0126 Lost Communication With Steering Angle Sensor Module.  Make sure the dealer documents the codes on the service order and please post them.   It certainly sounds like the PCM is confused as it may not have information that it needs to operate the car normally or has a bad data from a sensor.  For example, could a bad brake switch cause such issues.

Also, run a Vehicle Health Report.  It will be interesting to see what it says.

I had the same message. The code stored was U0126 Lost Communication With Steering Angle Sensor Module. Make sure the dealer documents the codes on the service order and please post them. It certainly sounds like the PCM is confused as it may not have information that it needs to operate the car normally or has a bad data from a sensor. For example, could a bad brake switch cause such issues.

Also, run a Vehicle Health Report. It will be interesting to see what it says.

Hey golfer, thanks for the reply! I ran a VHR and it reports no problems other than a factory restraint recall and a sync update. I checked on the Ford Etis website and only found a 12m02, 14s04, and 14b03. An apim issue with the sync, the factory restraint recall, and the fuel economy costumer satisfaction. None of it seems related to the issues I've been having. When I get it in to the shop I'll keep you posted with what the dealer tells me. Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I picked my car up from the service department a few days ago and all seems well. It was an interesting experience to say the least. When I first dropped it off I told the SA everything that was happening. I also mentioned that my vehicle wasn't going into EV mode about 60 mph and wondered if the 13B07 update needed to be applied. The SA looked up the vehicle's history (I had only owned it for 3 weeks prior to this point) and told me that the 13B07 update had already been completed. I enumerated the other problems I was having with it and also that the SYNC system needed updated.

This is where things get kind of interesting. The same SA calls me back a few days later and explains to be that once there technician looked at the vehicle, he discovered that all the updates/installs the previous dealer had listed as having done, were NOT done at all. In fact, it took them a couple of days to update everything. They also said the 12V battery was bad and had to be replaced. They would not give me a list of codes, but I know they did update the SYNC and now my car will go into EV mode even at 70mph so I am assuming that a 13B07 was updated. As far as the other codes or problems, I still don't know but they attributed much of it to being a bad battery. 

"he discovered that all the updates/installs the previous dealer had listed as having done, were NOT done at all."

Care to name the dealerships involved? 

I live just north of the city, and haven't had mine in for service yet, so I'd like to avoid a 'previous dealer' experience, if possible.

If you don't want to name names IN the forum, would you be so kind as to send me a private message?

As I said, this car is more computer than a traditional car. It needs updates like your PC and you hope the dealer doesn't screw up the patch/update like so many have done with the 13b07 massive upgrade in 2013.

Absolutely! I'm thinking/hoping that they applied the 13B07 upgrade along with several others that should have been done at a previous dealer. It's almost like I have a new and improved C-max!

Yep - that one was a TOUGH one to apply for the dealers. As Brother Mike will atest, his dealer screwed it up by using wifi but apparently, that particular upgraded needed a LAN cable. So we had a lot of reports of worse performance in the CMax - not knowing that update partially took. Enjoy the CMax and the MPGs :rockon:

ps Welcome to the forum as well :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Yep - that one was a TOUGH one to apply for the dealers. As Brother Mike will atest, his dealer screwed it up by using wifi but apparently, that particular upgraded needed a LAN cable. So we had a lot of reports of worse performance in the CMax - not knowing that update partially took. Enjoy the CMax and the MPGs :rockon:

Impossible. The updates are 100% automated. No such thing as a partial update.  The module would become dead

if the software update didn't work.  All my Ford updates are done using WiFi. Never had a problem with any vehicle

using WiFi.  I don't know where these internet scenario's come from, but it's complete BS.

This is an interesting thread.

Yesterday I had our own brand new 2014 C-Max into the dealership because the Nav wasn't working all the time (it had that "wandering" problem) and I was able to quote some TSBs that needed to be applied direct from the knowledge here on the forum (thanks, everyone!).  When I picked it up and drove it back from Orlando the Nav problem seemed fix, but I also saw "EV" on the gauges for the first time during my cruise home on the highway (never saw it at highway speeds before).  I just assumed it was some setting on the gauge I had never turned on but now that I read this I'm thinking that when they applied some of the updates they also fixed this.

My service guy wasn't there yesterday when we picked up the vehicle so I wasn't able to find out exactly what they did to it but come Monday I'm going to see what they say.

So it's possible for the software to be incompletely installed?  I surely hope not!

We just got our C-max last week a 2014 SE. How do we know if we have the latest software?

Good question.  There is an "engineering mode" (http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1275-engineering-test-mode/) that will display some software info.  But nothing, as far as I know, that relates that information to a TSB/FSA/etc.  Perhaps someone (Crystal?) could provide a table that shows the relationship along with directions as to how to determine if the software has, in fact, been successfully installed.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by Bill-N

Alright, so I picked my car up from the service department a few days ago and all seems well. It was an interesting experience to say the least. When I first dropped it off I told the SA everything that was happening. I also mentioned that my vehicle wasn't going into EV mode about 60 mph and wondered if the 13B07 update needed to be applied. The SA looked up the vehicle's history (I had only owned it for 3 weeks prior to this point) and told me that the 13B07 update had already been completed. I enumerated the other problems I was having with it and also that the SYNC system needed updated.

This is where things get kind of interesting. The same SA calls me back a few days later and explains to be that once there technician looked at the vehicle, he discovered that all the updates/installs the previous dealer had listed as having done, were NOT done at all. In fact, it took them a couple of days to update everything. They also said the 12V battery was bad and had to be replaced. They would not give me a list of codes, but I know they did update the SYNC and now my car will go into EV mode even at 70mph so I am assuming that a 13B07 was updated. As far as the other codes or problems, I still don't know but they attributed much of it to being a bad battery. 

Sounds like your dealer is a "keeper." Great dealers make a great vehicle stay great.

So it's possible for the software to be incompletely installed?  I surely hope not!

Check this thread, post #144 by JohnnOhio.

He's not so happy by pg. 12 post #221

pg.13 post #246,

"Before update 70 on the freeway instant mpg gage would run at 40-45. Now 35-40. The tork is gone. Takes a 1/4 mile to get up to speed now and rpm's stay high. ( Like a Prius)

Used to cruise at 70 with tach between 2nd and 3rd line Now runs above the 3rd line consistantly.( 3/4 OF THE GAGE) EV will engage only on any down hill runs but only a short time on the long level runs. (1 mile or less at 70)"

PG # 16 post #341

"Took my Maxie in to fix the update. They said they used 2 computers and checked the update to be sure, and they could not find anything wrong. Driving off the lot I noticed right away that something was changed. I had power agian. My babies back happy%20feet.gif  :yahoo:  "

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2650-recall-13b07-the-guinea-pig-thread/page-8?hl=johnnohio

Something obviously changed, software didn't install correctly???

Here's another example from a few days ago.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/4067-problems-while-coasting/

Check this thread, post #144 by JohnnOhio.

He's not so happy by pg. 12 post #221

pg.13 post #246,

"Before update 70 on the freeway instant mpg gage would run at 40-45. Now 35-40. The tork is gone. Takes a 1/4 mile to get up to speed now and rpm's stay high. ( Like a Prius)

Used to cruise at 70 with tach between 2nd and 3rd line Now runs above the 3rd line consistantly.( 3/4 OF THE GAGE) EV will engage only on any down hill runs but only a short time on the long level runs. (1 mile or less at 70)"

PG # 16 post #341

"Took my Maxie in to fix the update. They said they used 2 computers and checked the update to be sure, and they could not find anything wrong. Driving off the lot I noticed right away that something was changed. I had power agian. My babies back happy%20feet.gif  :yahoo:  "

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2650-recall-13b07-the-guinea-pig-thread/page-8?hl=johnnohio

Something obviously changed, software didn't install correctly???

Here's another example from a few days ago.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/4067-problems-while-coasting/

As I stated in my previous post. Incomplete installation is not possible. It's either updated or it's not.

If the update was corrupted, the module that was being updated would be a door stop.

These cars have KAM memory that gets reset. The probable cause of his driving feel was

most likely a system reset. When the modules are updated (depends on the module) the memory

will also be reset. This will lead to a relearn over a few drive cycles before the car adapts to the driver again.

People that have never performed programming updates have no clue and make statements that

lead to more internet myths. It's amazing what people will believe :drop:

I noticed the question marks after the posters statement and that make it a question. Not a known problem or

truth. He was asking if it's a possibility........It's not, PERIOD.

Edited by drdiesel1

...Good question.  There is an "engineering mode" (http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1275-engineering-test-mode/) that will display some software info.  But nothing, as far as I know, that relates that information to a TSB/FSA/etc.  Perhaps someone (Crystal?) could provide a table that shows the relationship along with directions as to how to determine if the software has, in fact, been successfully installed.

Just a suggestion.

Hi Bill-N,

A vehicle's service history is maintained at the dealership level; I don't believe there's a way for folks to check if a particular TSB or other service action/bulletin has been applied to their vehicle.

Crystal

As I stated in my previous post. Incomplete installation is not possible. It's either updated or it's not.

If the update was corrupted, the module that was being updated would be a door stop.

These cars have KAM memory that gets reset. The probable cause of his driving feel was

most likely a system reset. When the modules are updated (depends on the module) the memory

will also be reset. This will lead to a relearn over a few drive cycles before the car adapts to the driver again.

People that have never performed programming updates have no clue and make statements that

drdiesel1, it IS possible for the 13B07 update to partially apply, and I know this from personal experience.  And there are also many documented cases on this forum and elsewhere of the update partially applying for various reasons.

I understand what you're saying that a module update either applies fully or it doesn't - the possible outcomes of a failed update to an individual module are either that the module is not updated, or the module is dead.  True.

However, with 13B07, my understanding from talking to my dealer was that it was a very complicated update to many different modules.  A certain version of software or higher was required on the computer the dealer uses to apply the updates.  If it was below a certain version, then some of the updates would fail to apply.  Others would succeed.  So the result of a dealer applying the 13B07 update using a computer with the wrong version of the software was a partially updated vehicle which didn't perform correctly. To all appearances at the dealer, it seemed to work fine. The problems were only noticed when the owner took the car that they were familiar with and noticed things weren't right.  (Yes, there is also the KAM memory needing to relearn the driver, but that is a much less noticeable difference than the documented occurrences here).

In my case, on the failed update, the engine ICE on warmup cycles changed dramatically (this part applied successfully), but EV>60mph change did not happen (this part of the update failed).  So, clearly, in my case, and in many others linked above, the 13B07 update CAN be partially applied.

I noticed the question marks after the posters statement and that make it a question. Not a known problem or

truth. He was asking if it's a possibility........It's not, PERIOD.

drdiesel1, it IS possible for the 13B07 update to partially apply, and I know this from personal experience.  And there are also many documented cases on this forum and elsewhere of the update partially applying for various reasons.

I understand what you're saying that a module update either applies fully or it doesn't - the possible outcomes of a failed update to an individual module are either that the module is not updated, or the module is dead.  True.

However, with 13B07, my understanding from talking to my dealer was that it was a very complicated update to many different modules.  A certain version of software or higher was required on the computer the dealer uses to apply the updates.  If it was below a certain version, then some of the updates would fail to apply.  Others would succeed.  So the result of a dealer applying the 13B07 update using a computer with the wrong version of the software was a partially updated vehicle which didn't perform correctly. To all appearances at the dealer, it seemed to work fine. The problems were only noticed when the owner took the car that they were familiar with and noticed things weren't right.  (Yes, there is also the KAM memory needing to relearn the driver, but that is a much less noticeable difference than the documented occurrences here).

In my case, on the failed update, the engine ICE on warmup cycles changed dramatically (this part applied successfully), but EV>60mph change did not happen (this part of the update failed).  So, clearly, in my case, and in many others linked above, the 13B07 update CAN be partially applied.

"Files can become corrupted for a variety of reasons including

faulty storage media,

errors in transmission,

write errors during copying or moving,

and software bugs."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_file_verification