Buy now or wait for 2015?

I see a lot of deals on the c-max.  Some under $20k.  Seems like a good deal.   What is going to change for 2015 models?  Good time to buy or better to wait? 

Last i heard sales of this car are not good.  Maybe more rebates coming?  I see ads for a few local dealers and it is the same car listed for weeks and weeks. 

Thoughts?

Thx

I'm sure there are others on here that can give you the info on the 2015 models.  I think I read that not much is changing.  

I am an early buyer, having ordered mine in Oct 2012, though did not receive until Jan 2013.  I have had no mechanical problems at all with the vehicle.  I LOVE my Cmax.  At the beginning there was a clock issue, but a software update has fixed that issue.

I had a 2008 Honda Civic, which had NO energy or pickup...I feel like I have power when I need it with the CMAX.  I am currently over 40 mpg lifetime.  I was doing a lot of city driving the first 14 months, (15 miles one way) but now a lot of highway as my office moved downtown (about 30 miles from home one way).  I have actually seen my mileage improve...but could be because it's summer and we've had a mild one for the most part.

There was some bad press for the CMAX, and with the confusion on the MPG didn't help.  I think FORD is making a big mistake not advertising this car big-time.  It is a GREAT car and a joy to drive.

Edited by LizM

It depends on your needs and wants.   Have you driven one?  Why get rid of the Scion?  Are you looking to save fuel costs?  

IMO, it's always better to wait, if there are no compelling reason to get rid of the car you have.  I don't see C-Max discounting going away anytime soon.  The stigma of the EPA fuel numbers drop and payments by Ford to current owners for such dictates that Ford needs to offer additional incentives that match the payments.  I bought my C-Max SEL in Dec 2012 and paid around $3700 (X=Plan pricing and $2000 in incentives) less than MSRP (around $29k IIRC).  So, I'd say any equivalent price to pay today on a base SEL would be about $5000 off MSRP  Is that in the ballpark of what you can get a 2014 C-Max for?

The lower dependability / reliability ratings of the 2013 C-Max stem primarily from the Sync, MFT, Navigation roll out by Ford.  Those issues are far as I know have been fixed.  The only issue I'd be concerned about is the "dead 12V battery, no start" issue.  It's unclear whether Ford has "fixed" this.  To me it seems that such issue was / is more prevalent on the SE model.

I have had no issues with my C-Max in 27k miles.  It's a great driving car that rivals / beats many gas fueled non-hybrid cars and gets much better FE than a non-hybrid car.  For the average driver, it's a 40 mpg car (see fuelly.com).  Getting near the original 47 mpg EPA number will likely require a change in driving style.  But that does not make it a 47 mpg car.  If you want a 47 mpg car, get a Prius (again look at Fuelly numbers).  With a Prius and a driving style change you would likely be in the mid 50 mpg range.

I doubt we will see much change in MY2015.   Any big changes will likely be when Ford introduces a newer body style for the C-Max. The C-Max needs to shed 200-300 pounds and its aerodynamics need improvement.  These changes will significantly help its highway FE. 

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

All I can tell you is if you want a 2014 model, they have a decent rebate on them if you lease. If you buy there are deals to be had. The SEL has a lower residual value than the SE model. I was quoted 388 a month vs 500 a month on the C--max SEL and that was just the Base one. I will say that when the 2015 models come out usually there aren't any rebates or incentives.

Scott and all, keep in mind that neither Fuelly nor FuelEconomy.gov are 'reliable' standardly acceptable statistical surveys, because they do not involve random sampling methodologies.  I would guess as a rule that their results trend more 'randomly' (& more reliably) in the earlier years of model launch, but trend more toward 'enthusiasts' in maturity - and therefore Prius results would reflect a more 'enthusiast' non-random sample group (i.e. higher numbers). (Especially considering hybrid MPG enthusiasm.)  My speculation.  One can only surmise an edge to the Prius from these data, as opposed to 'solid' numbers.

Far more importantly, they do not necessarily reflect you.  We all know that you are not average!  :) Good, 'high' MPGs are available to you on either C-Max or Prius; and even more importantly that MPG is just one aspect of vehicle ownership.  Look & drive them all, measure yourself ........................ then buy a C-Max because it is so much better !!! 

My biased opinion Scott, take care, research, research, research, and enjoy the buying process,

Nick

Delighted with a 40+ MPG & spirited driving opportunities !!!

Edited by C-MaxSea

I am in trying to find one equipped like I want and priced like I want - right now - no one seems to want to make any deals on the 2014's.  I was offered a 2013 fully loaded but had heard the 14's had better software.  I also hate to think of buying a vehicle that is already a year old.  I would like to get a 14 and not wait for a 15 but wondered what folks thought about the 13's.  Seems like dealers in our area (MD/PA/WV) have a good number of 13's on their lots.

Khahs42, I would require the dealer provide a full coverage extended warranty on any 2013 due to its age (or buy one with the heavy discount).  Also, require proof of a full charged, full capacity battery on board.  Given an extended warranty, fresh battery, and an extra good price (similar to P3G above), and yes, I would I give a 2013 serious thought.  The difference between the 13 & 14 are very minimal & relatively insignificant, and a few details even favor the 13.  Yust my opinion, good luck, Nick

PS  I would bargain aggressively on the 2014 price as well :)

Edited by C-MaxSea

I'm in the same boat.  2014 or 2015?   C-Max or Prius V? (another thread I'm sure)

Thanks for all your input, and Plus 3 Golfer, using your logic (I agree) ....

2014 C-Max SEL for 28,400 MSRP less 5,000 = $23,400* ... would WORK for me. I see them in the 24,000s now.

That includes 2 rebates, one REBATE that REQUIRES FORD CREDIT STANDARD RATE FINANCING *

That * is a big * to me.   I do not want to finance @ 6% to get the $1,000 rebate.  Dealer claims, I can pay it off in 3-4 months ???  So that's not really a $1000 rebate, it's less, and could be really LESS,  if any loan fees are snuck in on top of the interest.  Minimum loan can be $8,000 I guess ????  Always something fishy with a car deal, LOL.

2015 PRO - maybe they tweak the MyTouch, and resolve DEAD battery issue - CON have to wait till next July for any discounts, unless they come out discounted to pick sales up after bad press.

Thanks

"due to its age"?  We're talking new 2013 models on a dealer lot, no?  The only concern I would have would be that the 12v battery is fresh.   But you should get a smoking hot deal on a 2013 and since it is almost identical to a '14, why pay more? 

When are the '15s coming out?  I was going to say you'll have to wait a long time to find out what the '15 is like, but I guess we're not that far off.   

Edited by Adrian_L

If you have ANY doubt about the Prius versus the C-Max my advice is to drive both for at least a few days (find a friend or get a loaner).

I borrowed a friend's Prius and after two days I was convinced it was the worst vehicle I've ever driven -- it handled like a U-Haul truck (about the same acceleration and "whale like" feeling).  When we test drove the C-Max our Ford dealer mentioned that if you tried pulling out in front of traffic on the expressway in a Prius you'd get run over and I didn't believe him until that nearly happened to me (seriously -- I was THAT close to being a statistic by being wiped out in my friend's car in just a "normal" merge).  The C-Max, by contrast, is as peppy as the sports cars I've owned, and handles almost as well.  To me there is absolutely no comparison -- I wouldn't be caught dead driving a Prius (even though I almost was... dead, that is).

Now, that was the top-end Prius and I understand the V handles even worse, so I just can't imagine why anyone would want one.  Also, it was *very* noisy.  One of the things most reviewers (like Motor Trend, which was actually considering the C-Max for "Car of the Year") mentioned was the extra weight in the C-Max (which keeps some of the mileage from being as high as a Prius) is most likely soundproofing.  I can believe it -- the Prius sounds as bad inside as my Durango (which is pretty noisy) and terrible for a car opposed to a truck.

Finally -- while I was able to get impressive mpg in my friend's car, I'm also averaging around 45mpg in my C-Max in combined city/highway driving.  As others have noted here, it really depends on your driving style.  I probably would get in the 50's in a Prius if I was ever idiotic enough to buy one.

(Oh, and I got a great deal on a 2014 model).

I'm in the same boat.  2014 or 2015?   C-Max or Prius V? (another thread I'm sure)

Thanks for all your input, and Plus 3 Golfer, using your logic (I agree) ....

2014 C-Max SEL for 28,400 MSRP less 5,000 = $23,400* ... would WORK for me. I see them in the 24,000s now.

That includes 2 rebates, one REBATE that REQUIRES FORD CREDIT STANDARD RATE FINANCING *

That * is a big * to me.   I do not want to finance @ 6% to get the $1,000 rebate.  Dealer claims, I can pay it off in 3-4 months ???  So that's not really a $1000 rebate, it's less, and could be really LESS,  if any loan fees are snuck in on top of the interest.  Minimum loan can be $8,000 I guess ????  Always something fishy with a car deal, LOL.

2015 PRO - maybe they tweak the MyTouch, and resolve DEAD battery issue - CON have to wait till next July for any discounts, unless they come out discounted to pick sales up after bad press.

Thanks

Got my paperwork out and here is the dealer LIST vs X-Plan and incentives in Dec. 2012. Also for reference, below is what the current X-Plan pricing on FordPartners.com for Phoenix. Note the snips show the MSRP over $1000 lower than your $28400. I wonder why? Adjustment for Goodwill Payments.

<-----------------MSRP--->X-Pan

Base SEL.... = 28200.....27950

Opt 90C...... = 245.........218

Delivery ......= 795.........795

AdMin Fee   = 398.........100

Adv. Assmt...= 427.........427

Fuel.............= 50...........50

Total... ........= 29915---- 28275

Above Diff...... .= 1640...

Incentives.........= 2000

Total Discount..= 3640

FE Payment.....= 475

FE Payment.....= 550

Grand Total.....= 4665 in Ford discounts, incentives, and goodwill FE payments

Total paid........ = 25250 + sales tax and registration fees

gallery_167_32_8644.pnggallery_167_32_4298.png

I haven't used the X-Plan pricing option, but I beleive the MSRP is not binding on the dealers. If they're willing to accept less profit they may be willing to undercut X-Plan. Maybe they would hoping to get a long term customer that they can make up the difference on, over the long run, with service and such.

There are even dealers that say they can beat A-Plan prices, and maybe they can with fleet buys or some other purchase incentives from Ford.

The X-Plan should be used as the maximum to pay.  You can always negotiate less with a dealer.  Some dealers may refuse to sell existing inventory under the X-Plan.

When I was shopping in Dec. 2012, dealers were putting "add-on" to their inventory C-Maxes. Sticker on mine was over $33,000 which included a market adjustment adder of nearly $2000 plus $599 for lifetime tint (already on car,  which they eventually threw in for free), $899 for an alarm system (like LoJack) which they removed and another $699 for a protection package (like Opti-coat) which was not on the car.  Had the dealer held firm with the $33,000 sticker I would have had to order my C-Max.  Most dealers had no inventory of C-Maxes and most coming in were already sold (I wanted a base SEL).

• Vehicles may be ordered from production or, if the dealer agrees, may be selected from the inventory of the dealership. Dealers are not required to participate, but if they do, they must be an authorized Ford Motor Company dealer for the product sold and agree to abide by the New Vehicle Purchase Program guidelines set forth in this document....
  • Dealers will be permitted to assess up to $100 in documentary fees on each delivery to an eligible purchaser under the terms of the Plan, unless otherwise provided by state or local laws or regulation. ...
  • X-Plan is a pre-determined price based on dealer invoice or A-Plan price depending on brand. The X-Plan price is noted on the dealer invoice.

Ford

Dealer Invoice - (0.4% * Dealer Invoice) + Administration Fee*  (currently $275)

Lincoln

Dealer Invoice + (0.6% * Dealer Invoice) + Administration Fee* (currently $275)

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

If you have ANY doubt about the Prius versus the C-Max my advice is to drive both for at least a few days (find a friend or get a loaner).

I borrowed a friend's Prius and after two days I was convinced it was the worst vehicle I've ever driven -- it handled like a U-Haul truck (about the same acceleration and "whale like" feeling).  When we test drove the C-Max our Ford dealer mentioned that if you tried pulling out in front of traffic on the expressway in a Prius you'd get run over and I didn't believe him until that nearly happened to me (seriously -- I was THAT close to being a statistic by being wiped out in my friend's car in just a "normal" merge).  The C-Max, by contrast, is as peppy as the sports cars I've owned, and handles almost as well.  To me there is absolutely no comparison -- I wouldn't be caught dead driving a Prius (even though I almost was... dead, that is).

Now, that was the top-end Prius and I understand the V handles even worse, so I just can't imagine why anyone would want one.  Also, it was *very* noisy.  One of the things most reviewers (like Motor Trend, which was actually considering the C-Max for "Car of the Year") mentioned was the extra weight in the C-Max (which keeps some of the mileage from being as high as a Prius) is most likely soundproofing.  I can believe it -- the Prius sounds as bad inside as my Durango (which is pretty noisy) and terrible for a car opposed to a truck.

Finally -- while I was able to get impressive mpg in my friend's car, I'm also averaging around 45mpg in my C-Max in combined city/highway driving.  As others have noted here, it really depends on your driving style.  I probably would get in the 50's in a Prius if I was ever idiotic enough to buy one.

(Oh, and I got a great deal on a 2014 model).

Someone has traded in their CMax for a Prii - better MPGs. :secret: I may be next but don't let Nick ever see this post.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I'll never own a Prius. Who cares if it gets 50 mpg or that you can recline and move the seats back. I sat in one in the showroom and moved the passenger seat up and drivers seat and there's plenty of room in the back. The C-max rides amazing!!! The Prius can suck it.

Interestingly enough, both of those links say *nothing* about how the Prius sucks when driving.  

Truly, if mpg is all you are interested in, the Prius IS a much better car.  No question about it.  However, if mpg was all you were interested in, you wouldn't get a Prius, you'd get an all electric car.  I guess that the Prius is the best mpg you can get out of a hybrid so if you can't go all electric and need max mpg it's the next best thing.  But it drives horribly and is unsafe, at least in terms of trying to merge into high speed traffic (then again, most Prius owners I know drive like my grandmother, and she's been dead for over 30 years).

Look, I never begrudge anyone's choice in cars, houses or wives -- those are all major decisions that only the person making them is informed enough to have the "right" opinion.  All I can say is what suits me, and the Prius just doesn't.  If I was ONLY driving around town (and thus no need for quick maneuvers) but for some reason an all-electric car wasn't an option... oh, hell, who am I kidding, I STILL wouldn't get the Prius.  I think I'd just take the bus.

Please no more of those trade-in stories -      :cry: :cry: :cry:  an SE (guessing) for a level 3, and then praise the level 3 refinements, please. :nonono:           

:redcard:  Jus, you are making my skin crawl entirely unnecessarily - six lashes with a used Priiiiii dash !!!  (Assuming a full 'show of hands' throughout the Priiiiiii, of course)

Edited by C-MaxSea

2014 Base SEL offered at $24,300 includes $1,500 rebate.   Getting there.... glad I only do this every 11 years. :)

CMAX - Better Cabin, better ride         PRIUS V - will probably be standing longer, with less repairs

Thanks again for all your input, I appreciate it.

Oh Nick, I enjoyed that :dance:    :drop:

Seriously, city is where the CMax is as strong or stronger in MPG than the V imho. If I can get 60 to 65 MPG round trip daily driving between 40 to 50 miles a day(depending on where I go after work) with some thoughtful route and EVing here in heavy motor city, Los Angeles, CMax drivers can do 47-53 MPGs city without blinking.

As for repairs, who knows - 1st gen car, hard to say what will last and won't, just keep the CMax regularly serviced, should be fine. 

Hi all.  Thx for all the responses.

I do still have my Scion xB with 135K miles.  Still going strong.  I also have a full size Chevy pickup truck that we have for pulling a boat and trips. It would be nice to have something with better mileage for trips and around town.  I like the truck but I love driving the xB.  Just a really fun car (5 speed stick).  The C-Max would be my new fun car.  I also like tech stuff and I could see me getting into playing around to learn how to get the best MPG with the hybrid.  One of my co-workers has a Prius that he installed a plug in kit for it.  I think this is really cool and would not mind doing something like this myself.   I don’t think there is any support for this on the C-Max but maybe one day. 

I like the style of the C-Max much better than a Prius and love the extra size.   Much more like my xB in terms of room for 4 people.  I also like the fact that there are not 20 billion of these on the road.  Nice to have a car that everyone else does not have.  I am surprised that some 2013 are still on the dealer lots.  Are sales that bad in some areas?  If they are I would think that Ford will not keep this vehicle around for that long.  I would think something new is on the drawing board.  

I have drove the C-Max once and it was a SEL.  I would like to go see these < $20K SE models.  I might like this better any way and would give me some extra cash to get new wheels and such to make this my car.   I like that a lot. I could see an all black C-Max with black wheels in my driveway.  I think this would sport up the look.  

So I will keep looking and who knows, might pull the trigger on one some day.  I do wish that they had the dead battery problem fixed for sure. 

Thx again 

Hi all.  Thx for all the responses.

................  One of my co-workers has a Prius that he installed a plug in kit for it.  I think this is really cool and would not mind doing something like this myself.   I don’t think there is any support for this on the C-Max but maybe one day. 

Thx again 

I also had one of those add-on plug-in conversion units on my Camry Hybrid.  List price for the conversion unit was nearly $4k.   My experience with that unit convinced me that plug-in hybrid was what I really needed, but I wanted it from the factory and I wanted more cargo space.

Ford does indeed have a Plug-in model for the C-Max.  It is called the C-Max Energi.  So, that is what I wound up with to replace the Camry.

With incentives and tax refund, a plug-in C-max Energi (~SEL) can often be had for the same price as a non-plug-in C-Max SEL.  Check it out

Added plus:  The Energi's also re-charge the 12-volt battery whenever they are plugged in and they all come with the equipment selections that have been less prone to the 12-volt battery problems.  As a result very few C-max Energi's have reported 12-v battery  problems.

Edited by Smiling Jack

I also had one of those add-on plug-in conversion units on my Camry Hybrid.  List price for the conversion unit was nearly $4k.   My experience with that unit convinced me that plug-in hybrid was what I really needed, but I wanted it from the factory and I wanted more cargo space.

Ford does indeed have a Plug-in model for the C-Max.  It is called the C-Max Energi.  So, that is what I wound up with to replace the Camry.

With incentives and tax refund, a plug-in C-max Energi (~SEL) can often be had for the same price as a non-plug-in C-Max SEL.  Check it out

Added plus:  The Energi's also re-charge the 12-volt battery whenever they are plugged in and they all come with the equipment selections that have been less prone to the 12-volt battery problems.  As a result very few C-max Energi's have reported 12-v battery  problems.

I too would like to have a PHEV but range limits its benefit for me.  Did the $4k include installation?  

Also if a hybrid warranty issue develops, the dealer will likely blame the add-on even though it may not have contributed to the issue.  IMO, the last thing I would want is to fight for a high cost warranty repair.  Second, for me I wouldn't be able to justify $4k+ for a 20 miles EV range.  I would need close to 40 mile range to break even with a reasonable payback.  When I bought my C-Max the PHEV was over $2000 more after the tax credit.  Payback based on maximum miles and reasonable spread between electric and gas costs was way too long.