Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Brake Rottors strange wear pattern

Break Pads / Rorors

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,151 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:56 PM

Any of you remember backing up and hitting the brakes to adjust them?

Yes, That was for Drum Brakes. :)

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 637 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:04 AM

Any of you remember backing up and hitting the brakes to adjust them?

Yep.  And the real surprise came when going forward and the brakes engaged much sooner!

#23 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 385 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:51 AM

I've never paid anyone to put brakes on a car and see no reason to change now. I started doing brake jobs when I was thirteen, the easiest car repair.
  • ptjones and obob like this

#24 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,319 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:21 AM

Looking into this, there's a reason...

https://en.wikipedia...ce_distribution

http://www.aa1car.co...ake_balance.htm

"On vehicles with electronic brake proportioning, the REAR brakes may actually wear out faster than the front brakes...."

Rear brake wear is one downside to regen in a car with full electronic wheel control. Note the links refer to conventional drivetrains. Regen only makes it worse. 

I think this also explains that feeling the brakes failed as you enter a turn. It's gone now that the back brakes are working properly. 

Have fun,

Frank

• ptjones likes this

#25 OFFLINE   scottwood2

scottwood2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 576 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max SE, 202A, Winter Package

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:50 AM

Just took the car in for a list of concerns.   Getting close to the end of standard warranty ~33k miles.   One issue i stated was minor brake noise on the right rear in the morning while driving (no brakes applied).   This was really minor but thought I would put it down on the list to have it looked at.   They ended up resurfacing the rotors in the rear.  Said I had lots of pad left. 

• ptjones likes this

#26 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,151 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

I think unless you do alot of City driving like a Cab, It seems to me they should last 300k-400k  miles. IMO At 139k mi. not much wear. :)

Paul

#27 OFFLINE   bberg7794

bberg7794

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSt Lawrence County, New York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL 302A Medium Light Stone

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:56 PM

I have this strange wear pattern on my. Rotors does anyone has the same problem
Please see the pictures and tell me if this is normal. Dealer said this is normal Is it? They say not to be worry about it because my car breaks with the engine. Most of the time
attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

First 2 are rear rotors left and right
Second 2 are front rotors left and right

I have the same thing going on with my car. However I got 75K miles on the original pads and rotors. Front pads seem to have about 60% life left and rears have 40%. I will try some spirited braking and hope this goes away. I know I am bringing up a thread that is over an year old and wanted to see what other members are seeing!

My brakes look the same as the ones shown in Post #1, braking performance is still excellent and I use Mechanical brake once in a while with tranny in Neurtral. You've got a good dealer because my local dealer gave me a lot of BS about it and wanted me to change the pads and rotors for a lot of money

My dealership quoted me over 1000$CAD to change all four rotors and pads because pads were worn and rotors rusty on my 2013 C-Max with 35K km on the odometer!

I asked a mechanic friend to check it out. On the front, the inside face of the rotors were OK but the outside face showed a pattern similar to the photos in the post above. New pads and cleaning should do the trick.

In the back it appears that both sides are quite rusty as it seems they have hardly been used probably because of regen braking. In addition, one and possibly both caliper pistons are seized.

I do not drive much and I admit that I have not engaged in "friction" braking to any extent. Does anyone know whether Ford recommends procedures to alleviate the minimal use of such braking with hybrids? And also whether dealerships are told to be on the lookout for this problem when they do regular maintenance?

Thanks

Just took the car in for a list of concerns.   Getting close to the end of standard warranty ~33k miles.   One issue i stated was minor brake noise on the right rear in the morning while driving (no brakes applied).   This was really minor but thought I would put it down on the list to have it looked at.   They ended up resurfacing the rotors in the rear.  Said I had lots of pad left. 

I have 52,000 miles on my car now, but my rotors looked like the ones in the photo by the OP right after I drove the car off the lot and have only gotten worse.  My pad wear is minimal.  The brakes have occasionally been noisy while driving at low speed and now they can be grabby if I am braking a bit aggressively.  I too am concerned about the health of the calipers.  Since winter (salt application) is winding down up here, when I go to get my studded tires replaced with my summer tires, I am going to ask my mechanic to assess the overall health of the braking system.  This really is about my only complaint about the vehicle.

#28 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 546 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:01 PM

I have 52,000 miles on my car now, but my rotors looked like the ones in the photo by the OP right after I drove the car off the lot and have only gotten worse.  My pad wear is minimal.  The brakes have occasionally been noisy while driving at low speed and now they can be grabby if I am braking a bit aggressively.  I too am concerned about the health of the calipers.  Since winter (salt application) is winding down up here, when I go to get my studded tires replaced with my summer tires, I am going to ask my mechanic to assess the overall health of the braking system.  This really is about my only complaint about the vehicle.

This might save you some money and help the grabbiness.

http://fordcmaxhybri...ern/#entry64806

If you think the problem is with the rear brakes the emergency brake can be applied.  This might shake up some glazing.

There is a lot of incentive for a mechanic to recommend a brake job that has to do with the high profit of a brake job.

Edited by obob, 05 April 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 746 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

Yes, you really have to watch mechanic's "recommendations".  A local garage failed me at inspection for rusty brakes, or some such foolishness.  I went to my tire dealer and his inspector was furious that someone had failed them - saying they were just fine.  I payed for another inspection and haven't been back to the other place since.

#30 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,319 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:04 AM

... A local garage failed me at inspection for rusty brakes, or some such foolishness....

So did mine.

Except my mechanic was right, rotor surface was flaking off. Not the first time I'd seen the failure mode, so no foolishness, just what I'd expect from a good mechanic. 

Frank

#31 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,151 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

So did mine.

Except my mechanic was right, rotor surface was flaking off. Not the first time I'd seen the failure mode, so no foolishness, just what I'd expect from a good mechanic. 

Frank

Is that caused from what they put on the ice on the roads during the winter? :sad:

Paul

#32 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,319 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:00 AM

You mean salt? Quite likely. It's a major export crop. You passed the mine if you took I-390 to Corning. 

Frank

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·