Maxus took at road trip

mtb9153

Took a road trip yesterday from the south bay up freeway 880 north to Oakland, then on to Crockett California to research a video gig I'm shooting on Saturday.  One way total miles with A/C running was 73miles over freeway with slight increases in elevation once near my destination.  Checked the gauges after shutting off the ignition, said 43mpg with 1.2 gallons of fuel used.  I can live with that after driving for more than an hour.  Then heading back home I went another route which took me on a twisty two lane country road the first 10 miles or so through the east bay hills towards Concord and Pleasant Hill.  Stopped at Fuddrukers Famous Burgers for lunch :love_shower: after lunch headed south on 680 to San Jose using a slightly longer route since I wanted to avoid the traffic near the approach to the Oakland Bay Bridge since it was time for the early commuter traffic out of San Francisco.  Of course this route means I have to climb the long Sunol grade back over the hills into the Sillycorn Valley.  Which was a good test maintaining my AvgMPG up the grade with A/C running.  Got back home turned off the ignition and to my amazement I pulled out another 1.2 gallon fuel usage.  :victory: So we'll see what happens tomorrow when I head up there again for the Video shoot.  :thumbsup:  

Same MPG on the 1.2 used?

Bro Mike....feast your eyes on this, got my personal best with my daily morning commute to work:

14743560124_039a58a404_z.jpg

Valley driving. Finished the day on 64.9 MPG pulling into the garage - not the strongest finish because of the heavier Friday traffic on the way to the gym but hell, I'll take anything above 60MPG on my daily commute.

This car is the DA BOMB!

I don't know how you do it Brother Jus but I'm jealous  :worship: of your mastery of the asphalt jungle. Oh yes the mpg was the same pretty much both directions, there was some loss due to the climb up Sunol grade on the route home.  Today I'm taking the same route to and from the video gig for better control of my usage.  I will try to remember to take a screen shot at either end.  

Edited by mtb9153

Same MPG on the 1.2 used?

Bro Mike....feast your eyes on this, got my personal best with my daily morning commute to work:

14743560124_039a58a404_z.jpg

Valley driving. Finished the day on 64.9 MPG pulling into the garage - not the strongest finish because of the heavier Friday traffic on the way to the gym but hell, I'll take anything above 60MPG on my daily commute.

This car is the DA BOMB!

82.7% EV is real good, It only keeps getting better and they are paying us to do it. :shift: LOL :happy feet: :)

Paul

Not nearly in your league, but yesterday I had to drive about 20 miles (to get a prescription for our kitten -- sigh), most of which was at 50-60 mph, in the hot Florida sun (93 degrees) with the air keeping me cool at 72 inside and going there I got 52.3 but coming back I got 55.2, which is my highest mileage for any trip yet.

I didn't do anything special -- just my normal driving that I've always done in our Durango (which, to be fair, has always been best practices I learned around 30 years ago).  I was amazed I was getting that good mileage (which I could tell was good because I started the trip with around 503 estimated miles available by the tank and as I drove it kept going up until when I finally got home I was sitting on 533 miles available.  My average lifetime mpg also went up over 3 mpg, because my wife has a lead foot and so far has not gotten over 39 mpg using our new car).

I'm really interested to know if my mpg will improve once we stop running the A/C (we really never use the heater here in Florida, so come October we have about six months without any other load on the car).

As you would expect A/C draw will be the most at the beginning of trip and goes down when desired temp is reached. The longer the trip, the less average draw . This could mean -5MPG's for short trips and -1 to -2mpg's on long trips. :)

Paul

And, of course, since the A/C draw at stable conditions will be essentially constant power, regardless of vehicle speed, the faster you go, the less the mpg impact will be ! 

Conversely, if you simply troll around at very low speeds (or, worse yet,if you sit nearly forever at a RR crossing) the mpg hit will be HUGE.

82.7% EV is real good, It only keeps getting better and they are paying us to do it. :shift: LOL :happy feet: :)

Paul

Exactly Paul - so loving this car. This one is absurdly high, usually I am in the low 80s to mid 80s and the big difference is the timing of the light so you don't burn gas (of course I have scouted out and found the most efficient route beforehand).

However, as mod, I check out the many other threads and its still sad to see issues with some of our member cars. I am glad mine (as banged up and patched up as she is) - IS ROLLING smoothly.

Sorry to threadjack Brother Mike - use the A/C Bro - its not worth it to be uncomfortable. It was 104 when I was driving back from work on Friday but I stopped off at the range to whack some balls and allow the evening to cool down before I head home.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Took my first highway road trip last week. North Carolina to New Jersey and back. Traveled approximately 1300 miles. 95% were between 65 - 72 miles per hour. The rest on slower back roads. Used ECO cruise about 85% of the time. A/C on the whole time. Trip screen indicated 43.0 mpg when I arrived home.

Around town I average 47 - 48 mpg.

I gather if I drove 55 - 60 miles per hour the highway mileage would be around 50 mpg.

Very happy with the mileage and comfort of the vehicle.

Taking it to the dealer later this week for recall 14S04.

Currently have 4087 miles on the OD.