Trade in value

Hybrid dude

For what it's worth, while I was at the dealer getting my 12 volt battery issue diagnosed, I asked the sales folks what my one-month old, 1,200 mile C-Max was worth. Their answer: $21K, thus about $5K less (current $1K rebate not included) than when it drove off the lot. I have no Ford resale value experience and would assume one could get more from a private sale, so I won't make any sweeping generalizations. I do know when we were considering the competing Hybrid hatchback, the name I won't mention, it would have been without a doubt a better financial decision to buy a new one, since the used ones, both in private and dealer stock, were almost the equivalent price.

For what it's worth, while I was at the dealer getting my 12 volt battery issue diagnosed, I asked the sales folks what my one-month old, 1,200 mile C-Max was worth. Their answer: $21K, thus about $5K less (current $1K rebate not included) than when it drove off the lot. I have no Ford resale value experience and would assume one could get more from a private sale, so I won't make any sweeping generalizations. I do know when we were considering the competing Hybrid hatchback, the name I won't mention, it would have been without a doubt a better financial decision to buy a new one, since the used ones, both in private and dealer stock, were almost the equivalent price.

Here is one with 1,100 miles selling used for 30,000.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=100760408&listingRecNum=1&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26mkId%3D20015%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D49085%26rd%3D100000%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D75002%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

'Instant" depreciation once you drive it off the lot is a fact of life BUT, would only bother me 1) if the car was totaled and the insurance only paid out this reduced value; lease cars get 'gap' insurance and at least my auto insurer (Allstate) offers a new car replacement so I'm covered there as well and 2) if for whatever reason you need to sell it due to financial reasons, you know you're taking this loss.

I'm waiting for edmunds.com to include the expected depreciation amounts for the C-Max but its simply too new to do so .. I've included a link for a '12 Focus Titanium which is a bit comparable but of course w/o the hybrid powertrain and first year depreciation is just under $4K so would assume your dealer is probably pretty close

http://www.edmunds.c...style=101364750

Edited by redEV

• 1 year later...

I have a 2103 SE with 11,000 miles on it. I want to trade it because it is too small to carry everything my wife takes with us when go to our summer home. So far here in central PA the Ford dealer where I got the C-Max offered $13,000 for it on a 2015 Explorer and this is the highest offer I have received. The local Chevrolet dealer said they would not take the C-Max on trade stating that they were all junk and tould me to go elsewhere, I told them where to go and left.

This has been a great car and gets 48-49 mpg on our trips from PA to NC and has not had any problems.

Sorry to hear that Emccabe.  Glad it has been a stellar performer for you.

My 2 cents: 'value' is a fickle commodity at best, your dealer is trying to 'take you for a ride', and,if you want a better trade-in value, you will need to 'find' buyers who 'value' your car - some form of a private sale to be sure.

I don't know exactly how you do that, but I do know that our market in Seattle would likely eat that up for at least $5k more.  (The SE badge is likely a detriment, especially if its the base model)

Best of luck,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

I have a 2103 SE with 11,000 miles on it. I want to trade it because it is too small to carry everything my wife takes with us when go to our summer home. So far here in central PA the Ford dealer where I got the C-Max offered $13,000 for it on a 2015 Explorer and this is the highest offer I have received. The local Chevrolet dealer said they would not take the C-Max on trade stating that they were all junk and tould me to go elsewhere, I told them where to go and left.

This has been a great car and gets 48-49 mpg on our trips from PA to NC and has not had any problems.

Sorry to learn of your trade in estimate experience. 

Perhaps you've thought of this solution to your cargo dilemma, but we ship, as well as have shipped from online retailers, quite a few things to our summer destination.

That seems low by several $1000 (maybe as much as $3000)  Is there not a market for C-Maxes in central PA?

What about buying over the internet at a Ford / Chevy dealer in the Harrisburg or Philly area.  They should be able to give a trade-in price provided it's still in excellent condition (no issues / accidents and so forth).

Dealers will always try to rob you on a trade. It's how they make big money. On average, they offer $3K under trade value.

That way, they can sell it for trade value or more to the next buyer and make $3K to $5K on it. Remember, they can get it financed

for the new buyer, so they'll get more for it. As stated above, you'll need a private sale to get close to trade value.

You should just keep it and make your wife ride on the roof :lol: :shift: You'll be sorry when it's gone. I was and

had to buy another one. That was a long 4 months without my C-Max :play:

Edited by drdiesel1

• 1 month later...

I traded in my 13 SEL with about 30K miles for $19,000.  I'm pretty sure that was the "real" trade-in value here in TX, as I also got a hefty discount on the new Energi that I purchased. In other words they didn't pad up the trade-in and sell me the new one at retail.

That is above KBB private party sale value. What was the out the door price on the Energi? Texas has a large rebate on purchase, as well as the federal rebate, which would equate to somewhare around 6K off the MSRP, I think (although I'm not sure of the state amount). So an absolutely maxed out 303A package with sunroof would come in at 30.5 K or so.

I have a 2103 SE with 11,000 miles on it. I want to trade it because it is too small to carry everything my wife takes with us when go to our summer home. ...This has been a great car and gets 48-49 mpg on our trips from PA to NC and has not had any problems.

Have you considered expanding it's cargo capacity? Several of us have installed trailer hitches, and use a hitch platform when we need to carry more than fits.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/190-trailer-hitch-supplier/?p=25635

I was able to carry two dressers, one inside, one on the platform. If search worked well, I'd give you a link to those pics instead of fotomoto's.

Have fun,

Frank

Stevedebi:

I traded early in August.  Here is the "rounded" deal:

CMAX Energi  Window Sticker: $36500

Sold Price: $ 33,500 (3K Discount)

Ford Rebate: $3000

Trade In: $19000

Taxes and Fees +$1000

Amt Paid to Dealer $12,500

Less Texas Rebate $ 2,500

Less Fed Tax Cred $ 4,000

Total "Trade Up" Cost  $6500

Did I do good? Whatdayathink??

Edited by ScooterS

Stevedebi:

I traded early in August.  Here is the "rounded" deal:

CMAX Energi  Window Sticker: $36500

Sold Price: $ 33,500 (3K Discount)

Ford Rebate: $3000

Trade In: $19000

Taxes and Fees +$1000

Amt Paid to Dealer $12,500

Less Texas Rebate $ 2,500

Less Fed Tax Cred $ 4,000

Total "Trade Up" Cost  $6500

Did I do good? Whatdayathink??

Not fully clear. The selling price was before the Ford rebate? That is the exact amount of the MSRP minus "sell price". I'd have to see the contract, but it looks like a great price!

• 3 weeks later...

Old thread, but for what it's worth the C-MAX depreciates extremely fast. I found a 2013 with less than 4000 miles that was going for $10,000 off MSRP. There are tons of CMAXes on the various car websites that are 2013's selling (at retail price, not tradein) for around $16,000 with under 40k miles, some with under 20k.

Edited by SPL Tech

• 1 month later...

I now have almost 30K miles and just for fun, went to my servicing dealer this afternoon to learn how little it is worth.  (SE base model, no options)

Answer is $11,000 towards a 2014 Hybrid or Energi. I had hoped this trade in idea wouldn't have cost more than a few grand, when you include state rebates, etc.

Guess I'll try plan B or C, those being continue with it until 75K miles or Oct. 2017, whichever comes first, or pursue a legal battle.

(I've had multiple dead vehicle problems but Ford refused a buyback.)

I now have almost 30K miles and just for fun, went to my servicing dealer this afternoon to learn how little it is worth.  (SE base model, no options)

Answer is $11,000 towards a 2014 Hybrid or Energi. I had hoped this trade in idea wouldn't have cost more than a few grand, when you include state rebates, etc.

Guess I'll try plan B or C, those being continue with it until 75K miles or Oct. 2017, whichever comes first, or pursue a legal battle.

Are you able to jump it with jumper battery? If so it shouldn't take more than a minute or two to get going. Seeing the Dealer is an annoyance, but you could do it at your convenience. Eventually FORD will figure out all the reasons for dead batteries. I would ask and get in writing how long and how many miles for warranty on dead battery issue is. IMO :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Actually I think dead battery problem is only 3 years 36,000 miles. Battery and electrical are not normally covered under powertrain warranty, and the 8 year warranty is only on the hybrid components, which I am confident excludes the 12v system.

• 1 year later...

Kind of shocked at our trade in/resale values. I have a 2013 sel, no nav, and the dealer offered me $10,000, finally went up to 12, but still pretty bad for a 3 year old car!

They seem to have taken a huge hit since gas prices dropped below $2/gallon. From what I've seen (not that I've looked closely), it is affecting most/all hybrids and not just the C-Max. It also seems like a lot of fleet 2013 C-Max fleet cars were dumped on the market in 2015, I'm sure that hurt resale value, as well. 

Edited by raadsel

They seem to have taken a huge hit since gas prices dropped below $2/gallon. From what I've seen (not that I've looked closely), it is affecting most/all hybrids and not just the C-Max. It also seems like a lot of fleet 2013 C-Max fleet cars were dumped on the market in 2015, I'm sure that hurt resale value, as well. 

The Enterprise has gone from a sticker of $28k to a KBB "private party" "very good" at 45,000 miles of $12.3k.  A 43% drop - down almost $16k.

Shucks, for $17.5k drop I could have driven a Tesla Model S for 45,000 miles.  New was $62.5k after rebate and KBB has it at $45k now.