Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Tire Noise

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:09 AM

Does the it make the sound at all speeds ?

I used to have very heavy car with relatively small tires.   The belts would shift and then I couldn't balance them.   I just kept the problem tires on the back.  I was thinking you may have a problem tire that is OK for the back.

It is all the time between those speeds. It stops when I go faster or slower.

No wheel shimmy, no pull to either side.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,408 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:10 AM

I would suggest putting the tires on right side on the left and vs.to change the direction of rotation and  then only move front to back there after when rotating the tires. That's what I did after noise problems with bad alignment. I did get 65Kmi out of my tires. :)

Paul

I am hoping that a few thousand miles (which usually takes a while for me to put on my car) will get rid of the noise. They were just rotated and balanced.

#23 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,114 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:18 AM

I am hoping that a few thousand miles (which usually takes a while for me to put on my car) will get rid of the noise. They were just rotated and balanced.

Noise got better, but took a lot of miles. :)

Paul

#24 OFFLINE   jmckinley

jmckinley

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 280 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationSouth West Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C Max SEL, Mazda Miata, Chrysler Town & Country MiniVan, Damon Daybreak MotorHome, Suzuki V Strom

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

Regarding some of your posts in response to my inner to outer dismount-remount solution to tire noise:

• I increased inflation to max recommended of 51PSI and that helped a little bit.
  • I rotated per the owner's manual which didn't help, also reversed sides which also didn't help.
  • Noise was at its worst on smooth roads at 45 mph.  Always there, however, at any speed.

Dismounting and remounting all four tires inside to outside essentially eliminated the noise.  $20 per tire at Tire Discounters.  Much cheaper than $900 for four new ones.

• obob likes this

#25 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 525 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:34 PM

I had tire noise which got progressively worse as I approached 30K (30K driven, 12K towed) miles to the point of being nearly unbearable.  Rotation didn't help.  Dealer checked bearings, believed they were OK, said all four tires were cupped on the inside edges. Suggested replacing 30% worn tires with new ones for only $900. I didn't see cupping, but a directional feathering of the blocks on the inner edges of each tire.

On a hunch, I had all four tires dismounted and reversed on the rims so the inners were now the outers. Presto, the noise is almost completely gone. I had the alignment checked at the same time and it was nearly perfect with no adjustments necessary.

I'm not sure what is going on here. Generally problems like this are alignment or suspension component wear or balance related. Alignment was OK, suspension shouldn't be worn out already and everything feels tight. There was, however, a significant difference in the amount of balance weights needed to balance the tires compared to the as delivered weights.

This could also be somehow related to towing the CMax.  Weird stuff can happen back there as the car is forced to track in ways it may not like.

At any rate, if your tires are noisy, consider the dismount-remount idea.  My dealer, by the way, said it wouldn't work. If you do it, be sure to mark the tires some way so you can be sure they get it right. 

I rotated my tires at 14500 (first time) and the tires were noisy up front, really bad, like a wheel bearing.  I rotated them back and the noise lessened.  I read this and did the remount inside to the outside on the rear tires.  After one day of driving a few miles I am optimistic it has substantially improved.  I want to give it a week to really test them out more for it was not real irritating at all times.  So far I have not been irritated.  It did seem to have a different sound at different speeds and time from cold.

The rear tires have lots of tread.  The fronts are getting low.  I may just replace the fronts before the winter or rotate the tires.  The rears should be warn in by then.

My rear tires do seem to have a subtle but irregular wear pattern, which is now on the outside.  I looked at them after a drive.  The original tires have islands of tread on the outside that have a thin emptiness(line) through them.  It seems like one part of the island is higher at this time than the other part, while the inside islands which were on the outside seem even. (I say this because the color was different.  They actually are not obviously a different height.) (this was my first glance.  If not accurate, I will correct the best I can.)

Thanks for the idea.  At some point I may also reverse sides (a la ptjones).

The place that did the work said they can tell if it will work before doing it.  I told them to just do it.  They may have been sizing me up for new tires.

After this I started to put 46 psi in my tires.  I was running 50.

I wonder if this "cupping" is a characteristic of these tires and not other tires, or a characteristic of the car suspension, or something else.

UPDATE:  After another day of driving, the tires have not had the irritating sound.  They sound like tires that are a bit on the noisy side.

Edited by obob, 27 May 2015 - 01:41 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,114 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

I think the problem is partly alignment and partly tire. By reversing rotation you take care of tire part of the problem. :)

Paul

#27 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 525 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:26 PM

I think the problem is partly alignment and partly tire. By reversing rotation you take care of tire part of the problem. :)

Paul

I assume that the rear tires can not be re-aligned.  Is that true ?

#28 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,114 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

I assume that the rear tires can not be re-aligned.  Is that true ?

I was referring to aligning the suspension which can change after awhile, 20-30Kmi.  :)

Paul

#29 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,408 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:28 PM

I only have about 19,000 miles on my C-MAX, and I am having the same noise issue. I tried rotating, and I saw no improvement. I plan to get it looked at when I get the 20,000 mile service, which should be in a few weeks.

From what I can see, I have plenty of tread left on my tires, and I don't want to start replacing them so often. Thanks for the great suggestion!

#30 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,114 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:22 AM

I only have about 19,000 miles on my C-MAX, and I am having the same noise issue. I tried rotating, and I saw no improvement. I plan to get it looked at when I get the 20,000 mile service, which should be in a few weeks.

From what I can see, I have plenty of tread left on my tires, and I don't want to start replacing them so often. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Have them reverse the rotation of tires when you do your service and the noise will gradually get better in my experience. :)

Paul

• ScubaDadMiami likes this

#31 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 724 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

Notes from my experience:

1. Have had the "cupping" problem on both our Honda Fit and now the C-Max (but tires are at 65k+ miles).
  2. Normal rotation where backs swap with fronts can help but it takes thousnads of miles after you rotate for significant improvement.
  3. May sound worse initially after rotation.
  4. My tire dealer says that the undriven tires are subject to cupping and tires should be rotated every 5000 miles to prevent it.  (I seriously doubt there is any "problem" with our tires.)
  5. My tires are noisy enough that one passenger asked if I was running snow tires!
  6. My tires are also wearing more on the inside edges - and this is where you see the cupping.
  7. After my recent alignment I have decided that installing adjustable upper rear control arms are needed to reduce the camber (not adjustable now).  Tires appear to tip in too much at top (although technically within spec) which creates wear on inside edge.  Have read that Focus owners have had a similar problem.  I suspect that this excesive camber (?) is agrevating the cupping issue.
  8. I can have them reverse mounted for $60 but would rather not have the problem at all.
  9. (I am not a tire expert!)

Has anyone had experience installing any adjustable control arms - C-Max or Focus?  Any suggestions?

• obob likes this

#32 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

Let me know how your dealer trip goes, ScubaDadMiami. :)

Meagan

• ScubaDadMiami likes this

#33 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,114 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

Notes from my experience:

1. Have had the "cupping" problem on both our Honda Fit and now the C-Max (but tires are at 65k+ miles).
  2. Normal rotation where backs swap with fronts can help but it takes thousnads of miles after you rotate for significant improvement.
  3. May sound worse initially after rotation.
  4. My tire dealer says that the undriven tires are subject to cupping and tires should be rotated every 5000 miles to prevent it.  (I seriously doubt there is any "problem" with our tires.)
  5. My tires are noisy enough that one passenger asked if I was running snow tires!
  6. My tires are also wearing more on the inside edges - and this is where you see the cupping.
  7. After my recent alignment I have decided that installing adjustable upper rear control arms are needed to reduce the camber (not adjustable now).  Tires appear to tip in too much at top (although technically within spec) which creates wear on inside edge.  Have read that Focus owners have had a similar problem.  I suspect that this excesive camber (?) is agrevating the cupping issue.
  8. I can have them reverse mounted for $60 but would rather not have the problem at all.
  9. (I am not a tire expert!)

Has anyone had experience installing any adjustable control arms - C-Max or Focus?  Any suggestions?

65K should be the life of the tire, but if you can keep going put the rights on left side and vs, at least you don't have to remount the tires. At 64Kmi. I only had 1/64" difference from outside to inside. They do make different upper control arms for the rear, I had one changed to get the alignment right.  At this mileage I wouldn't spend the money to reverse mount the tires and instead buy new ones with that money. :)

Paul

#34 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 525 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

They do make different upper control arms for the rear, I had one changed to get the alignment right.   :)

Paul

Was that covered under warranty ?

#35 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,114 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:14 PM

Was that covered under warranty ?

Yes it was, maybe because it not adjustable. :) 

Paul 

• obob likes this

#36 OFFLINE   SAMinMaine

SAMinMaine

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • Current Vehicle:sel

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

Wow.  I just had new tires put on my '13 cmax to replace what I thought were noisy, badly wearing snow tires. Much to my surprise the noise was as bad while diving away from the tire store, even with a reduced payload of whatever $780 might be.  

Called the dealer the next day, waited  a week for an appointment. the dealer spent 2 days on recall work and informed me I needed a wheel bearing and a front axle bearing at the end of day two.  61,510 miles.  3 days without a car, Ford customer care won't help with repair because it's technically out of warrantee. 

The cmax replaced a Ford freestyle with 208K miles that didn't need bearings. After 25 years of owning Ford vehicles, Ford loyalty, A-plan customer for life, spouse of a Ford Employee, I think I'll get rid of the cmax and '15 explorer and look for a company who'll stand behind their products.

The 5 company pickups are next to go.

#37 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,114 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

Wow.  I just had new tires put on my '13 cmax to replace what I thought were noisy, badly wearing snow tires. Much to my surprise the noise was as bad while diving away from the tire store, even with a reduced payload of whatever $780 might be.  

Called the dealer the next day, waited  a week for an appointment. the dealer spent 2 days on recall work and informed me I needed a wheel bearing and a front axle bearing at the end of day two.  61,510 miles.  3 days without a car, Ford customer care won't help with repair because it's technically out of warrantee. 

The cmax replaced a Ford freestyle with 208K miles that didn't need bearings. After 25 years of owning Ford vehicles, Ford loyalty, A-plan customer for life, spouse of a Ford Employee, I think I'll get rid of the cmax and '15 explorer and look for a company who'll stand behind their products.

Why didn't you have your warranty extended if you were going to keep your CMAX for more than 36K mi.? I don't know why you are getting Mad at FORD when you were 25Kmi past  the standard warranty. I have mentioned in the past several times to get an extended for as long as you have the car.  I also had a rear bearing go bad, but it was covered under the extended warranty.  

This is a good lessen to remember always have your CMAX covered under warranty  as long as you have the car.  These are very complicated cars and cost a lot to get things fixed. IMO  :sad:

Paul

#38 OFFLINE   scottwood2

scottwood2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 576 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max SE, 202A, Winter Package

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of the repair? 

I had a Scion xB which is a Toyota.   I had 3 wheel bearings go in 135K miles.  It happens.  

#39 OFFLINE   SAMinMaine

SAMinMaine

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • Current Vehicle:sel

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:45 AM

530 was the dealer quote.

#40 OFFLINE   obob

obob