Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tire Noise

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   scottwood2

scottwood2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 576 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max SE, 202A, Winter Package

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

530 was the dealer quote.

That is costly but the rear bearing on the Scion was about $400 at the dealer if I remember correctly.  The part was almost $300.   I think the repair is much easier compared to replacing 2 bearings in this quote. 

Bearing costs are much more now and as you said the life can be less than the older type. 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:31 PM

Wow.  I just had new tires put on my '13 cmax to replace what I thought were noisy, badly wearing snow tires. Much to my surprise the noise was as bad while diving away from the tire store, even with a reduced payload of whatever $780 might be.  

Called the dealer the next day, waited  a week for an appointment. the dealer spent 2 days on recall work and informed me I needed a wheel bearing and a front axle bearing at the end of day two.  61,510 miles.  3 days without a car, Ford customer care won't help with repair because it's technically out of warrantee. 

The cmax replaced a Ford freestyle with 208K miles that didn't need bearings. After 25 years of owning Ford vehicles, Ford loyalty, A-plan customer for life, spouse of a Ford Employee, I think I'll get rid of the cmax and '15 explorer and look for a company who'll stand behind their products.

The 5 company pickups are next to go.

Hi SAMinMaine,

Did you already have the repair completed? 

Meagan

#43 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Oxford White
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:37 PM

I have an update on this thread. Originally, I chimed in to report that I was having the same snow tire type of noise as others had reported here. This had been increasing over time, and I had reported it to the dealer on a number of occasions. I had been diligent about rotations and balance, doing so between every 5-6,000 miles, and I am a pretty mellow driver, so I could not understand that this could happen to a new car that had been cared for properly.

After my original post, I scheduled my 20,000 mile service and an inspection of everything. At the dealer, I discussed alternatives, including those stated in our forum, with my Service Advisor. After inspection, he informed me that I had two tires that had not worn evenly. I elected to perform a new alignment, dismount and reversal of the tires on their rims, and rotation and balance of the tires. My SA told me that, if this didn't work, he would contact Ford.

This definitely improved the situation. I went from always hearing the noise to the problem occurring mostly on the smoothest surfaced roads. However, the problem persisted at highway speeds and on certain surfaces more than others.

By this time, Meagan and I connected and discussed things. She had reached the Regional Service Manager for my area, and he now contacted me about the situation. Next, the RSM, after conferring with my SA, confirmed that I have two tires that are out of round due to uneven wear. I was offered, and I accepted, to pay a total of $100 out of pocket for two new tires installed. I feel that this is fair, and I hope that this will bring a final end to this issue. My vehicle now has about 21,000 miles on it, and other than a hiccup every once in a great while, my C-MAX has been a reliable vehicle with a Lifetime of 48+ MPG.

One more thing to add: After having the first bit of work done, I drove from Miami to the mountains in the western part of North Carolina and back, about 2,000 miles round trip from Miami Beach. (I did four days of hiking in Pisgah.) As far as the road report goes, we were with A/C set to 74-76F, and we spent a lot of driving right around the 70MPH mark, but never above. As I had just changed from 0W20 oil to the regular Ford semi-synthetic (20,000 mile service) while they did the work on the tire, I think that the regular oil definitely dropped my MPG.  I am way behind on my paperwork still, and I have yet to input into Fuelly the information from the four tanks that the C-MAX consumed on the trip, but I would estimate that I probably only got between 40 and maybe 43 miles per gallon, overall. On previous similar trips, I probably got more like 43 to 45. Could just be anecdotal, but that is my impression.

Concerning the tire noise, it was not too bad on the trip, but it was certainly there for all of the 2,000 miles that I drove--although my passenger (who loved my C-MAX) never commented on the issue. I had hoped that the drive would level things back out a bit, reducing the noise even more than all of the previous measures had done, but I don't think that it made a difference at all. I am going to schedule the new tire installation, and I hope not to have another thought about this again during the life of my car. I am going to get an alignment, rotation and balance frequently, even more frequently than I do now.

Time to get ready for my next trip! Thanks, Meagan!

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 14 July 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:23 AM

I have an update on this thread. Originally, I chimed in to report that I was having the same snow tire type of noise as others had reported here. This had been increasing over time, and I had reported it to the dealer on a number of occasions. I had been diligent about rotations and balance, doing so between every 5-6,000 miles, and I am a pretty mellow driver, so I could not understand that this could happen to a new car that had been cared for properly.

After my original post, I scheduled my 20,000 mile service and an inspection of everything. At the dealer, I discussed alternatives, including those stated in our forum, with my Service Advisor. After inspection, he informed me that I had two tires that had not worn evenly. I elected to perform a new alignment, dismount and reversal of the tires on their rims, and rotation and balance of the tires. My SA told me that, if this didn't work, he would contact Ford.

This definitely improved the situation. I went from always hearing the noise to the problem occurring mostly on the smoothest surfaced roads. However, the problem persisted at highway speeds and on certain surfaces more than others.

By this time, Meagan and I connected and discussed things. She had reached the Regional Service Manager for my area, and he now contacted me about the situation. Next, the RSM, after conferring with my SA, confirmed that I have two tires that are out of round due to uneven wear. I was offered, and I accepted, to pay a total of $100 out of pocket for two new tires installed. I feel that this is fair, and I hope that this will bring a final end to this issue. My vehicle now has about 21,000 miles on it, and other than a hiccup every once in a great while, my C-MAX has been a reliable vehicle with a Lifetime of 48+ MPG.

One more thing to add: After having the first bit of work done, I drove from Miami to the mountains in the western part of North Carolina and back, about 2,000 miles round trip from Miami Beach. (I did four days of hiking in Pisgah.) As far as the road report goes, we were with A/C set to 74-76F, and we spent a lot of driving right around the 70MPH mark, but never above. As I had just changed from 0W20 oil to the regular Ford semi-synthetic (20,000 mile service) while they did the work on the tire, I think that the regular oil definitely dropped my MPG.  I am way behind on my paperwork still, and I have yet to input into Fuelly the information from the four tanks that the C-MAX consumed on the trip, but I would estimate that I probably only got between 40 and maybe 43 miles per gallon, overall. On previous similar trips, I probably got more like 43 to 45. Could just be anecdotal, but that is my impression.

Concerning the tire noise, it was not too bad on the trip, but it was certainly there for all of the 2,000 miles that I drove--although my passenger (who loved my C-MAX) never commented on the issue. I had hoped that the drive would level things back out a bit, reducing the noise even more than all of the previous measures had done, but I don't think that it made a difference at all. I am going to schedule the new tire installation, and I hope not to have another thought about this again during the life of my car. I am going to get an alignment, rotation and balance frequently, even more frequently than I do now.

Time to get ready for my next trip! Thanks, Meagan!

I know the feeling of hearing or seeing something out of place that no one else notices, like your passenger on the trip, and never being able to ignore it's presence. I'm happy to hear that things are going well so far. Please feel free to reach out in the future; I'll be happy to see if there's anything I can do. :)

Meagan

• ptjones and ScubaDadMiami like this

#45 OFFLINE   MyMax4242

MyMax4242

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationNeosho MO
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max SEL

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:16 PM

Here's the deal. To elimiminate tire/ driveline noise reverse all your tires on the rims. My CMax sounded like it had terrible driveline noise. It was the tires; the inside of the rear tires are prone to cupping. The Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires are NOT directional and can be reversed. It fixed my problem completely.

#46 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,930 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

Here's the deal. To elimiminate tire/ driveline noise reverse all your tires on the rims. My CMax sounded like it had terrible driveline noise. It was the tires; the inside of the rear tires are prone to cupping. The Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires are NOT directional and can be reversed. It fixed my problem completely.

In my case I just put the tires/wheels on the opposite side of car which reverses the direction of rotation without removing tires off of rims. No expense involved that way. :)

Paul

#47 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 690 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

Moving the wheels to the opposite side of the car may help but they will continue to wear on the same edge.  I think the only real solution is to get the rear tires sitting up more nearly straight (less camber) so they stop wearing on the inside.  See this post.  Then keep rotating them - my Michelin dealer says every 5k miles.

#48 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,930 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:09 PM

Using my process at 64Kmi. there was only 1/64" difference between the inside and outside of tire and I used 50psi.  That was with using Factory alignment settings, I replaced tires at 64Kmi. :) 

Paul 

#49 OFFLINE   RobMax

RobMax

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 158 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Sterling Gray Metallic C-Max Hybrid SE

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:40 PM

To keep this useful thread alive, I just bought my 2013 with 42k miles on it and had severe humming from the right rear, and a bit less so, but still very noticeable, from the left rear. My car tracks straight and rides well, just has a LOT more road noise than my wife's 2014 with 18k on it. She even commented on it, which for a non-car person like her to do highlights just how bad it is.

Anyway, increasing G-loads on either side while driving, and spinning each wheel/tire jacked up didn't indicate any odd wheel bearing noises, so I thought it safe to say the tires were the problem. All 4 corners have the same michelin energy saver green a/s tires, all now with 40psi per my personal preference, with relatively the same treadwear remaining in the centers tread blocks, so I'm guessing all 4 are originals that just weren't properly rotated. Both rears are more worn far more on the inside due to the increased rear camber, and both fronts are worn much more even, and of course are much quieter. 

Since I just put on 1k miles over the last couple of weeks and it's actually gotten a bit noisier, I figured I'd rotate them criss-crossed (LF to RR, RF to LR) and see if it improves it any. Not exactly what the manual says to do, but figured it can't hurt and would help me localize the noise. Turns out both rears now being on the front has moved all the road noise to the front, so it's definitely the tires. They should quiet down as they wear more even, but I'm sure it'll take awhile. 

The manual says we should rotate the tires every 10k miles. No idea when mine were last rotated, but it's definitely something I recommend doing regularly!

Edited by RobMax, 30 March 2016 - 10:14 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#50 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 897 posts
  • Locationcentral Florida
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:Maximis

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:15 AM

Every 10k?  Is this something my dealer would do under routine maintenaince or do I have to request it?

I had the 5k thing done and at 13k I haven't done anything else, but I bought the "complete" package of care (so the dealer pays for all stuff for three years) and if this is something I should have done I'll take it to them soonest.

#51 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationTN
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

Every 10k?  Is this something my dealer would do under routine maintenaince or do I have to request it?

I had the 5k thing done and at 13k I haven't done anything else, but I bought the "complete" package of care (so the dealer pays for all stuff for three years) and if this is something I should have done I'll take it to them soonest.

I don't know what is included in the "complete" package.  It might include The Works (see below), all fluids and any wear items (wiper blades, brakes, filters and so forth) for 3 years

But after that runs out, I believe most dealers offer the Quick Lane service for most routine maintenance - The Works for $39.95 which includes synthetic oil change, tire rotation and other tests and checks.  IIRC, full synthetic is around $80 (too high IMO).  I just got a coupon in the mail for a $10 rebate for The Works.  So, for 3 years, one should expect to pay around $120 (or less) using Ford's The Works.  About the only other maintenance items besides oil changes in 3 years are likely the cabin filter (20 k miles, IIRC) and maybe the air filter (40 k, IIRC).

If you can't do tire rotation yourself or don't get free tire rotation from a tire dealer, The Works is a very good price as tire rotation is likely around $5 - $10 a tire by itself at most other places.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 31 March 2016 - 12:50 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationTN
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

To keep this useful thread alive, I just bought my 2013 with 42k miles on it and had severe humming from the right rear, and a bit less so, but still very noticeable, from the left rear. My car tracks straight and rides well, just has a LOT more road noise than my wife's 2014 with 18k on it. She even commented on it, which for a non-car person like her to do highlights just how bad it is.

Anyway, increasing G-loads on either side while driving, and spinning each wheel/tire jacked up didn't indicate any odd wheel bearing noises, so I thought it safe to say the tires were the problem. All 4 corners have the same michelin energy saver green a/s tires, all now with 40psi per my personal preference, with relatively the same treadwear remaining in the centers tread blocks, so I'm guessing all 4 are originals that just weren't properly rotated. Both rears are more worn far more on the inside due to the increased rear camber, and both fronts are worn much more even, and of course are much quieter. 

Since I just put on 1k miles over the last couple of weeks and it's actually gotten a bit noisier, I figured I'd rotate them criss-crossed (LF to RR, RF to LR) and see if it improves it any. Not exactly what the manual says to do, but figured it can't hurt and would help me localize the noise. Turns out both rears now being on the front has moved all the road noise to the front, so it's definitely the tires. They should quiet down as they wear more even, but I'm sure it'll take awhile. 

The manual says we should rotate the tires every 10k miles. No idea when mine were last rotated, but it's definitely something I recommend doing regularly!

Exactly, the reason I got new tires at 48 k miles.  I had returned from a 5 k mile cross country trip and tire noise was unbearable on the trip at 75-80 mph.  I also rotated the tires but the noise followed the tires to the front.   I still had about 4/32 tread depth minimum on the tires but since we were planning another 5 k trip a months later I got new tires. :)

My "noticeable" noise started around 25 k miles or so and never improved with tire rotations. I rotate my tires every oil change. It just got worse with more miles.  I did have an alignment done at 27 k miles as the car was pulling slightly.  IIRC, the rear camber can not be adjusted.    I believe the rear camber setting simply causes excessive wear on rear tires that can not be fixed with an alignment. IIRC, there is a post on "fixing" the rear camber to mitigate this camber wear (camber is set to minimum spec).  So, IMO tire rotations really don't fix the issue.

#53 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 834 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:26 PM

Tire rotation should be part of that package.

#54 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 690 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

My "noticeable" noise started around 25 k miles or so and never improved with tire rotations. I rotate my tires every oil change. It just got worse with more miles.  I did have an alignment done at 27 k miles as the car was pulling slightly.  IIRC, the rear camber can not be adjusted.    I believe the rear camber setting simply causes excessive wear on rear tires that can not be fixed with an alignment. IIRC, there is a post on "fixing" the rear camber to mitigate this camber wear (camber is set to minimum spec).  So, IMO tire rotations really don't fix the issue.

Here's the post about fixing the rear camber issue (may want to read the whole topic).  I agree that tire rotations won't fix inside edge wear but are essential to prevent cupping and the associated noise.  My theory was that the extra pressure that caused inside wear might also aggravate the cupping since my original tires had cupped on the inside edge only.  We may well run The Enterprise past 250k miles so I went ahead with the adjustable arms.  My Michelin dealer recommends rotation every 5000 miles and does it for free so I'm taking them up on it!  So far at almost 20k miles the new tires show even wear side to side, about 7/32 tread in center, 6 to 7 near the edges and no noise.  So I think it was all worth while.

• ptjones likes this

#55 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,930 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:20 PM

Here's the post about fixing the rear camber issue (may want to read the whole topic).  I agree that tire rotations won't fix inside edge wear but are essential to prevent cupping and the associated noise.  My theory was that the extra pressure that caused inside wear might also aggravate the cupping since my original tires had cupped on the inside edge only.  We may well run The Enterprise past 250k miles so I went ahead with the adjustable arms.  My Michelin dealer recommends rotation every 5000 miles and does it for free so I'm taking them up on it!  So far at almost 20k miles the new tires show even wear side to side, about 7/32 tread in center, 6 to 7 near the edges and no noise.  So I think it was all worth while.

What tire pressure are you using?I'm using 50 psi,  IIRC On my first set of tires the inside wore a little more because drivers side rear camber was off and had to replace camber suspension casting because they aren't adjustable. I did an alignment when replacing 2nd and third sets. I did crisscross tires to minimize cupping but the tires are pretty noisy by 4-3/32. ;) 

Paul 

#56 OFFLINE   WNY

WNY

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 99 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCuba, NY
  • Current Vehicle:F150,Mustang, Escape

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:30 PM

i put my stock Michilens on new rims and reversed them from stock and swapped from front to back. OMG, they are noisy at low speeds. i need to get the alignment checked. I prolly have about 7/32  left after 30K miles runn about 46psi. I've put 10K on the car since last Aug. when I bought it. 

Edited by WNY, 02 April 2016 - 12:37 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,930 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:40 PM

i put my stock Michilens on new rims and reversed them from stock and swapped from front to back. OMG, they are noisy at low speeds. i need to get the alignment checked. I prolly have about 7/32  left after 30K miles runn about 46psi. I've put 10K on the car since last Aug. when I bought it. 

It will take atleast 5K mi. until the noise is better. ;)  Bin there, done it. ;)

Paul

#58 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 690 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

What tire pressure are you using?I'm using 50 psi,  IIRC On my first set of tires the inside wore a little more because drivers side rear camber was off and had to replace camber suspension casting because they aren't adjustable. I did an alignment when replacing 2nd and third sets. I did crisscross tires to minimize cupping but the tires are pretty noisy by 4-3/32. ;)

Paul 

They are at 45 psi now which is about what I usually use - has been higher at times.  My tire dealer says the undriven tires are prone to cupping (in the "bad ol' days" it was the fronts!).  I'm convinced that frequent rotations are essential to hold down the noise and wonder if Ford's 10k recommendation is often enough.  Proper alignment can sure prevent other wear problems but may not prevent cupping.

#59 OFFLINE   WNY

WNY

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 99 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCuba, NY
  • Current Vehicle:F150,Mustang, Escape

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:50 PM

It will take atleast 5K mi. until the noise is better. ;)  Bin there, done it. ;)

Paul

Thanks! figured it would take a little bit.  Long trip planned in a few weeks, should put some miles on them.! 

#60 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,930 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:47 PM

They are at 45 psi now which is about what I usually use - has been higher at times.  My tire dealer says the undriven tires are prone to cupping (in the "bad ol' days" it was the fronts!).  I'm convinced that frequent rotations are essential to hold down the noise and wonder if Ford's 10k recommendation is often enough.  Proper alignment can sure prevent other wear problems but may not prevent cupping.

Maybe 5K mi. could be better, but cupping maybe nature of the beast.  I will try to rotate more often to see if it makes a difference. :)

Paul

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·