Maxus gets a new dash cover

mtb9153

Not trying to start any kind of argument here whatsoever, but I'd be curious to know what the actual rational behind such a thing is.  I've owned vehicles for 45 years, and always keep them for a decade or more and never had any issues with dash "problems" (and I lived in Vegas for nearly 20 years, and Nevada for 35, where sun and heat would certainly do whatever damage people worry about).  The dash on our Durango, for example, which has been outside in the Nevada desert sun for nearly a decade and now spent almost that long in Florida looks absolutely as new as the day I got it. 

Okay, so let's stipulate that nowadays we didn't in the past really need to "protect" our dash from damage  -- why do people then get these things?  Is it because you want to change the color of your dash?  I thought all the dashes of the C-Max were black anyway, but perhaps you got a different material that looks cool or neat or something.  Or is it that these newer vehicles have dashes that are more... sensitive?  (They certainly have a ton more electronics than my old vehicles ever did, but I assume they are made out of the same materials as the dashes I've had in past vehicles that were basically indestructible).

Anyway, just trying to understand here (in case this is something I need/want :>).

sshhh maybe mtb wont read this.

mtb is one on a few forum members that just likes to do stuff to their cars, make them better, unique, etc.

I've  He added led's to the outside of the cmax.

I've He's also made several other modification's to the outside.

I've $#&! sorry  he I keep making little typing errors, also searched several European web site looking for upgrades, modifications, etc.

Basically I'm (grrr) he's a car nut, maybe a little hyper active.

wab

I ordered one after seeing this thread.

Reasons:

1) Carpeted dash reduces glare, and glare is an issue with the CMax.   I use a mat to reduce glare but it slides off when I am doing hard cornering.

2) I had transported and will occasionally transport long objects in my car including copper pipes; rugs; wood and gas pipes.  I had to put carpets on top of the dashboard to support them.  

3) The price is reasonable and worth a try

Not trying to start any kind of argument here whatsoever, but I'd be curious to know what the actual rational behind such a thing is.

I'll let the OP speak for himself, but if you look at the site to which he linked, it appears that one could buy this product for protection or cosmetics. They mention UV protection specifically, and the list of materials is interesting:  Carpet, Velour, DashSuede, DashTech, Camo

I would be nervous about the camo option, I'd be concerned I might not be able to locate the dash when I got in the car.   :)

Edited by 62Lincoln

Not trying to start any kind of argument here whatsoever, but I'd be curious to know what the actual rational behind such a thing is.  I've owned vehicles for 45 years, and always keep them for a decade or more and never had any issues with dash "problems" (and I lived in Vegas for nearly 20 years, and Nevada for 35, where sun and heat would certainly do whatever damage people worry about).  The dash on our Durango, for example, which has been outside in the Nevada desert sun for nearly a decade and now spent almost that long in Florida looks absolutely as new as the day I got it. 

Okay, so let's stipulate that nowadays we didn't in the past really need to "protect" our dash from damage  -- why do people then get these things?  Is it because you want to change the color of your dash?  I thought all the dashes of the C-Max were black anyway, but perhaps you got a different material that looks cool or neat or something.  Or is it that these newer vehicles have dashes that are more... sensitive?  (They certainly have a ton more electronics than my old vehicles ever did, but I assume they are made out of the same materials as the dashes I've had in past vehicles that were basically indestructible).

Anyway, just trying to understand here (in case this is something I need/want :>).

My main reason for getting this is because there is in my opinion allot of glare on the windshield from the dashboard.  Also I have a thing about dust and I don't like seeing the dirt which builds up on the black colored dash.  Since the dash is so big and deep and a bit of a reach to clean it.  The cover hides the dirt.  Ok so I'm lazy and should just clean the dash more frequently, but I don't want to, I have severe arthritis in both knees and its a problem for me to reach to the base of the windshield.  Lastly I just like seeing a fuzzy carpeted surface over the dull standard dashboard.  I have put these in all of my cars over the years.

Oh, okay, then.

The first thing my wife asked me, when we got the new car, was if we were going to put "carpet on the dash" as our friend has his Prius done this way.  It was asked in such a manner as to indicate disdain (or at least bemusement) even though we've never done such a thing.  I think she was half-afraid I'd do it and it was an attempt to head me off at the pass, so to speak.

I don't get glare there but then when it's sunny here in Florida I always drive in sunglasses that eliminate such things anyway.  But I at least understand now why some folks would do this, so thanks for the explanation (obviously just isn't something *I'd* do).

(But I do totally understand the need/want to modify or at least kit out your car -- I can't wait for our personalized plate to come and that's total vanity as it adds really nothing of any worth to the car itself).

Even with my polarized prescription sunglasses on I still see a reflection of the dash in my windshield.  What really bugs me is I can see the air vents for the defrosters in the lower quadrant of my view of vision.  Hopefully with this covered up using the cover or carpet as it has been called.  I won't see this anymore.

Edited by mtb9153

Yeah, that would bug me as well.

I wonder if that's related to sun angle.  I know when we lived in Northern Nevada (the same relative location northwise as you) the sun was in a VERY different position in the sky.  Moving here to Florida I'm still not quite used to how different it is.  I notice this a lot on the courts (tennis, that is).  In Nevada my serve would be affected quite a bit by the sun but here it never bothers me, year around.   In any case, I don't notice any glare or reflection at all in the car no matter what time of day I'm driving.

The dash on our Durango ......  looks absolutely as new as the day I got it.

But I've had several older cars with cracked dashes - looks absolutely awful.  Why do some crack while others don't?  Did you use some kind of "rejuvenatory" on your Durango?  Sure don't want the C-Max to crack.  In the "old days" dashes were painted steel - never cracked!  Real wood would look best!

2) I had transported and will occasionally transport long objects ......  I had to put carpets on top of the dashboard to support them.  

Hear you loud and clear.  Once hauled (like an idiot) some wood fence posts in the Fit - they "fit" but ended with a nasty scratch on the dash.  My wife wasn't too happy (nor was I)!

.... just take out the back seat ....

Seriously, has anyone done this or know what's involved?  It would give a lot of room for my full size spare.  Would build a nice flat cover over it.  Now the spare lies in back with a strap going to three tie-downs.

My main reason for getting this is because there is in my opinion allot of glare on the windshield from the dashboard.

I notice some from the dash itself but the worst is from the chrome trim around the vent and instruments.

Personally, I can see some protection advantages but don't care much for the look of add-ons - like do-dads dangling from the mirror! :stirpot:

I know some dashes crack -- but have no idea the rhyme or reason of it.

As I said, I lived in Nevada for over 30 years, and at least a decade in Vegas (where, if sun, heat and dryness were going to be a factor in this, it would have happened) and even with cars with black dashes parked continuously outside, never had any dash problems.  And all these vehicles I've had for a decade or longer.  No special care used, either -- just washed from time to time (and usually not even that -- I'm pretty awful when it comes to getting the car washed).

Maybe it's more an issue of cold than anything else -- I've never lived where the temps are consistently below freezing.  So perhaps that's the real issue and maybe folks who have had dashes that have cracked can comment on that.  But one thing is for sure -- I'm not worried about it on the C-Max (and certainly not going to "carpet" the dash on the off chance it would).

Edited by Kelleytoons

It's often an issue with the plastic(s) used, and not the conditions.

I had a 1980 Westmoreland Pennsylvania-built VW Rabbit. The tan dashboard cracked within 5 years.

I bought a 1984 Wolfsburg Germany-built VW Rabbit Convertible in 1994, and kept it until 2010. The dark brown dashboard never cracked, despite being a convertible and having thousands more days in the sun. Different dashboard suppliers, no doubt.

And cracking is not the only problem that may occur with plastic.

Enter 'sticky dashboard' into your favorite search engine to see the current problems with some Lexus, Toyota, Hyundai, and others.

Yeah, that makes sense.  I'd further venture to say that no amount of protection is going to solve that issue (that is to say, a dashboard prone to cracking is going to crack whether you carpet it or not).  But that's just a guess.  I know I've had many plastic items here in Florida that have cracked and fallen apart in my garage and they weren't even exposed to anything but heat (so covering them with carpet wouldn't have done a damn thing).

But glare protection is another thing entirely, and I do understand Mike wanting that, so if that's an issue these covers might well do the trick.

Got my new black carpet dashcover today.  Fits really nice, very custom tailored even covers the small side front windows on either end of the dashboard.  Comes with velcro to attach it to the dashboard.  I still need to tweak it to allow clearance for my GoPro camera mount which is attached above the CD Player.  Highly recommend this to anyone who wants to cover their dashboard.

Ah, you have the GoPro as well?

Mine is a POS -- just bought the Sony AS100 because I'm sick and tired of dealing with the Pro's many, many issues.  Here's hoping I'm happier.

(And thanks for the thought about the dash mount -- not sure if I'm up to doing anything that permanent to my Maxus just yet, but I'll see what I can come up with to take advantage of the beautiful wide windshield).

What I really like about this cover is right off as I drove into a low evening sun there wasn't that annoying reflection of the dash and the defroster vents right in my line of sight.  That alone made it worth the cost of the cover.  I will be adding my GoPro mount under the cover at the center above the CD slot.  That is why there is a bulge in the cover because of the camera mount which also doubles as a mount for my iPad mini when I'm driving out in the field and need to pull over and connect with my manager or other work related business.

92EED0A3-230D-4CF3-A177-98EC52143E5E_zps

• 4 weeks later...

Ahem... You boys like to tweak your 'space' like us girls do? Figure you know what I'm talking about if you had to help your wives move furniture around... for no good reason other than wanting to change how it looks.

PS: My Intrigue's dash still looked good as new after 15 years - half in the freezing Tundra up north & half in the HOT Deep South. It was dusted maybe 2x/yr & detailed with something a couple times over the years, but that's the extent of care. Was the plastic made better?

Yup MomsHugs I'm a tweaker always looking for ways to spice up the looks of Maxus without hopefully spending a bundle of $$$.  The thing which really makes this cover the best is that there is no more glare from the dashboard off the glass in the evenings as the sun gets lower.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel the fit is perfect, just be sure to select the right one.  Depends on whether you have the premium sound system with CD Player at the top of your dashboard as I do.  Covers are the dash top from one side to the other.  reaches into both the small window pockets on either end of the dashboard.  Also an opening for the auto headlight dimmer.  I bought a black carpet cover since the dash is black.  But bottom line there's no more glare off the dash into the windshield.  I will take some more pics later today and post them for you.