Weird miles to empty reading

fordfan82

Filled up for the first time today. Got a full tank and i reset the trip miles. Miles to E said 599.00. It is a 2 mile trip to home. When i got home I noticed it said 593. So did it adjusf to the correct or close to reading or is there something wrong. Did not drive 7 miles home. Our Escape had this same thing every time you filled up. Could of gotten 573.00 on the first tank but my wife was freaking out that she was going to run out of gas with only 60 miles to E.

I'm pretty sure that's because the miles to empty is calculated based on the average MPG, which changes all the time.  I've noticed that mine varies widely depending on how I'm driving at the time, but it's always just an estimate anyway, so I don't worry too much about it.

Vmmvm is exactly right Fordfan82, it will vary a lot as the car tries to guess how well you will be driving, and how much EV time you will likely have as the tank empties.  Our fill up today yielded a Miles to Empty display of 689 based on having just gone 614 miles on 12.2 gallons.  (I believe that the 689 calc. also shows that we likely had plenty of gas in the tank to go another 40,50 miles before running out, even though the miles to empty was at 5 or 10 when we pulled in to the gas station.)

Fordfan82, your "60 miles to empty" was probably good for 100 miles, but better to play it safe.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

I would not rely on miles to empty on a full tank, so don't fret. However we suspect the computer uses the histogram to calculate this value. See my Nutz thread to see how these numbers changed as I climbed Pacific Palisades and then down and over Topanga going from practically zero to 30 and up and down as I drove. ..which leads me to conclude it uses the histogram mpg. Gee that was a long time ago, it feels....

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I went approx. 40 miles today after the miles to empty read zero. As long as you pay attention to the fuel used (assuming you filled up completely when you got gas and reset the trip meter), and remember the Cmax has a 13.5 gallon tank, you should be ok. I ended up with approx. 12.75 gallons used after the zero miles remaining excursion this morning.

I have also noticed the fluctuations in miles remaining, especially when I've finished a very long EV run (2+ miles uninterrupted) and concur that it uses the histogram to estimate.

Edited by TheXym

• 4 weeks later...