C-Max Ride

Kelleytoons

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I couldn't help but post after I took a nice ride today.  

In the run up to buying our C-Max I had the good fortune to drive six other vehicles, not counting our own Durango (which had issues that caused us to shop for a more reliable vehicle).  Our friends and family loaned us a variety of their own cars, and we had one rental.  These came from all different makers, and were all different types, and helped us make a good decision (although that was not the purpose -- we were just trying to get around in the meantime).  We drove all of these not less than 50 miles, and some appreciably more, so we were able to get a good feel for different kinds.

And then, of course, we drove three or four other new vehicles during test rides when we went out to buy -- not for very long, though, as test drives go.

Driving the C-Max today I was struck by how none of those 10 or 11 vehicles (including our Durango in the count) had anything approaching the comfort and quiet of the ride I was experiencing.  I felt like I was walking on a carpet, or perhaps outside in very comfortable slippers.  My tunes were clear and easy and wonderful to hear even during quiet passages and even driving at highway speeds or in heavy traffic.  

I'm guessing that a truly high end vehicle, something costing twice (or more) what the C-Max cost would have the same sort of luxury ride, but to get it at this price, with all the advantages a hybrid brings... well, my decision looks better and better all the time.

I hadn't thought about enjoying a new vehicle -- for me, it was going to strictly be utility in terms of getting us from one place to the other.  So we lucked out.  But I'm so glad we did.

(On a slightly different note, my wife took the C-Max out today for shopping and a man approached her in the parking lot and asked her how she liked it -- he said he had both the C-Max SE and an Energi, and loved them.  There is also another C-Max of the same color as ours parked in one of the places I play tennis, and now my mission is to try and track down the owner, as they don't seem all that common around here and *I've* never seen another C-Max outside the dealer lot until Paul visited us).

Oh, and I got a record 59 mpg (for me) coming back from a 6.1 mile trip from the store, which included half the distance at highway speeds (got only 51 mpg going to the store, though).  My wife (Lead Foot Annie) swears she got 52 mpg on her shopping trip but I'm somewhat skeptical.  The A/C is running high for us, though, since it's into the high 90's here today.

Edited by Kelleytoons

Great ride and MPGs to go with it. Congratulations, now you have you hooked and addicted where you'll swear off the Prii for life (or at least until they release their 60MPG beast then you and I will be buying that. Hope NIck doesn't see this part of the post) :dance:

^there is something hidden there and I know Nick will never find it :noobie:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Oh, and I got a record 59 mpg (for me) coming back from a 6.1 mile trip from the store, which included half the distance at highway speeds (got only 51 mpg going to the store, though).  My wife (Lead Foot Annie) swears she got 52 mpg on her shopping trip but I'm somewhat skeptical.  The A/C is running high for us, though, since it's into the high 90's here today.

Yup, it's a great car!     :happy feet:

Wait till cooler temps allow for less a/c use and you too may get results like this! :rockon:

null_zpsb40f84d1.jpg

My beloved says her brake score was 96 yesterday -- if so that's a pretty amazing achievement for her.

Before she left (when I was bragging about getting in the 50's earlier that day) she said something like "that's something [gas mileage] only men care about".  I got to thinking about that.  Is that true?  I mean, obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but is gas mileage something predominant among the male gender?  Fairly obviously driving fast and flashy is a male thing, as are performance and muscle cars.  My gut would have said that driving careful and responsible would have been a female thing, but maybe it's just a "cars" thing (which is to say, that men are just more obsessed with all aspects of cars than women).  I have to do some more pondering on this.

In any case, if it's making her more aware of her driving habits it's a Good Thing in any case.  While I don't know that many of us think about it, driving carefully (not accelerating too fast, watching ahead so that we don't have to brake hard which also includes leaving enough distance between us and the next vehicle, not driving over the limits much, if any, etc.) for gas mileage is also the best way to be safe in a vehicle.  I always used to get on my wife about this for that reason, not so much for conservation, and if she starts being a safer driver that will thrill me no end (since I'd kind of like to keep her around a bit, as we come up on three decades of wedded joy :>).

I've seen some crazy aggressive women drivers. They drive like they're the only one on the road and will

cut you off to get 1 car ahead. They have what, I call, brain delay. They wait until the last minute to jamb on

the brakes at a red light or for stopped traffic.

I had a women driver doing 40 plus on the side street when I started to pull out, she came screaming up the

street and I was just able to spot her at the last minute at the stop sign and stop a second time. She never even let off.

I pulled up next to her at the corner and asked it she knew what the speed limit was and she started screaming

at me and told me to F.O.  WOW!  What a hopped up psychopath, she was :rant2:   Too much coffee or something :runaway:

Edited by drdiesel1

lol, DD....or you are the wrong guy for that time of the month  ;)  &  :lol2:

My wifey is like that...hoon machine and she use to race SCCA (or something). Thats OK, she'll learn that at 22 gallons @ $4.20 per gallon & piddly miles is a nice hit to our her purse. Me, I jus roll along with another 840 mile tank, what do I know  :baby:

Great ride and MPGs to go with it. Congratulations, now you have you hooked and addicted where you'll swear off the Prii for life (or at least until they release their 60MPG beast then you and I will be buying that. Hope NIck doesn't see this part of the post) :dance:

^there is something hidden there and I know Nick will never find it :noobie:

Hey, wait a dog gone minute, won't find what?    :swear:

My 'C-Max is the best ride in town' hat is squarely on, thank you very much !  It beats our BMW !  (Oh, and pass the poupon please.)

I'll have you know Mr. 800 or bust, we have just nailed our fourth 600 in a row ECO cruising the freeway with one foot on the dash, and only a little poupon spilled on my sleeve!

Hurrumph,

Nick 

(OK, OK, the BMW 5 is 'softer' - think old big boat feel; but the C-Max has much better handling ride - smooth, crisp, taut, quiet .........)

Oh, and cheers to "Lead Foot Annie" - she's a keeper Kelleytoons, regardless the mpg's !

Edited by C-MaxSea

I presume U GIVE UP...tap..tap...tap?

Edit your post and change to BBCode Mode  ;)

I like the 600+ :rockon:  , you and others PROVE this is a very capable MPG car in the right hand. As I will say and say and say again, we're all BETTER hybrid drivers than the :airquote: professional drivers that Consumer Reports hired to drive their CMax that they bought. IMO, you guys really show up HOW bad driving skills really are without saying a word but lil ole me will point that out. Again. And again....and all in a great ride as well that is superior to the Japanese counterparts.

Nick, trust, me if you lived in my area, I could easily train you to blow 80+ MPGs with the right route and EV management. Theres nothing special and there are enough hints and tips here on this forum for everyone to break 600, 700 or 800 or 900  :drool:  Hmmh, latter is a toughie unless you set a loop but I don't do loop driving. I am satisfied with the low to mid 800s,I know  :baby:

In the run up to buying our C-Max I had the good fortune to drive six other vehicles, not counting our own Durango (which had issues that caused us to shop for a more reliable vehicle).  Our friends and family loaned us a variety of their own cars, and we had one rental.  These came from all different makers, and were all different types, and helped us make a good decision (although that was not the purpose -- we were just trying to get around in the meantime).  We drove all of these not less than 50 miles, and some appreciably more, so we were able to get a good feel for different kinds.

What were the other 6 cars you drove which didn't compare to the C-Max?

Hey, wait a dog gone minute, won't find what?    :swear:

(SS) Probably some nasty comment about how he'd like to get hold of that 60 MPG Prii car he's secretly lusting after so he doesn't have to P&G (Poke it / Gun it) all the time to break 60 mpg!  Look out folks - Jus is about to jump ship! :stirpot: :cry:

...... ECO cruising the freeway with one foot on the dash,......

(SS) Right behind you man - ECO cruising all the way (haven't tried one foot on the dash yet)!  20 mph to 120 kph and an automatic "2 bar burn" acceleration from 20 mph back up to speed with just the flick of a lever.  Part of a great ride is re-lax-a-tion!

---

I've seen some crazy aggressive women drivers. They drive like they're the only one on the road and will

cut you off to get 1 car ahead. They have what, I call, brain delay. They wait until the last minute to jamb on

the brakes at a red light or for stopped traffic.

I had a women driver doing 40 plus on the side street when I started to pull out, she came screaming up the

street and I was just able to spot her at the last minute at the stop sign and stop a second time. She never even let off.

I pulled up next to her at the corner and asked it she knew what the speed limit was and she started screaming

at me and told me to F.O.  WOW!  What a hopped up psychopath, she was :rant2:   Too much coffee or something :runaway:

Funny, the last time I witnessed an aggressive driver I didn't even consider their gender.  Or their race or age for that matter.  Maybe I'm just unobservant.

Funny, the last time I witnessed an aggressive driver I didn't even consider their gender.  Or their race or age for that matter.  Maybe I'm just unobservant.

I'm just astounded at some women drivers.  They really get hateful behind the wheel if you get in their way.

It's just not something I expect from women, but I've been accused of being old-fashion :hat_tip:

I presume U GIVE UP...tap..tap...tap?

Edit your post and change to BBCode Mode  ;)

All I can say about Jus's new Pruiss: will it be RH drive, or LH drive - oh, wait, that's right, they are all EHU drive ...... you know Every Hand Up drive    :lol2: :lol2:

'Would it be OK with everyone if I turn left here, come on, a show of hands please .................OK, OK, I'll go right .....'.

(or have they allowed the driver to make some of the decisions on the new model?  ;) )

Nick

(He wouldn't dare   :finger:   :nonono:  :finger:.)

Edited by C-MaxSea

What were the other 6 cars you drove which didn't compare to the C-Max?

Wow -- let me see if I can remember (it might only be the hideous ones that stand out).

First and foremost, our friends Prius (note the plural "friends" -- both the couples we are closest to own Priuses and one couple owns two of them.  Then again, they are rather prissy "holier than thou" snobs when it comes to ecology and such -- hey, if I talk this way about my FRIENDS you can only imagine how I dish my enemies :>).  One Prius and the other Prius V, although the latter I only drove a short period (the former I had for a week).  They were such whales I can't even imagine ANYONE wanting one.  I nearly got run over trying to merge onto our highway (our development fronts a very busy highway where folks are usually at 60 mpg or higher as they pass by, so to merge left as I usually do when I go play tennis I have to cross quickly across four fast moving lanes of traffic.  The first time I tried this in a Prius the cars almost crashed into me on all sides as the zero acceleration left me putt-putting across).  I don't remember how the ride felt otherwise, as I was so worried about lack of driving ability I couldn't enjoy any comfort (if it had any).

They were also extremely noisy -- got great gas mileage, though.  That's a good thing to put on your tombstone after you've been killed in one.

Then -- um, some GM type vehicles (an SUV and something I don't know, perhaps a van).  Honda hybrid for three days (I think it was a Civic) which got great gas mileage and was *very* peppy, even more so than our C-Max.  It actually drove like my old Honda Prelude, a sort of hybrid sports car, but the ride was as rough as a sports car, the car so low to the ground I felt like I was riding a skateboard, and the "upgraded" electronics (which was a big factor in my choice of Ford -- unlike others, I truly LIKE MFT a lot) were a joke: a tiny little four inch screen that reminded me of something from the 90's.

What else?  Oh, another small SUV (might have been the Mazda -- at this point I was just waiting for the C-Max to come back from repairs so not really caring or paying much attention).  Okay all around, but nothing special.

The funny thing was that I go through these security gates at one of my tennis venues and the guards there know me pretty well (going there two or three times a week for the last four years or so) and for three weeks straight I was in a different car every time I went through.  At one point I told the guard I was the "Jay Leno of central Florida.  You ought to see my garage!"

Wow -- let me see if I can remember (it might only be the hideous ones that stand out).

First and foremost, our friends Prius (note the plural "friends" -- both the couples we are closest to own Priuses and one couple owns two of them.  Then again, they are rather prissy "holier than thou" snobs when it comes to ecology and such -- hey, if I talk this way about my FRIENDS you can only imagine how I dish my enemies :>).  One Prius and the other Prius V, although the latter I only drove a short period (the former I had for a week).  They were such whales I can't even imagine ANYONE wanting one.  I nearly got run over trying to merge onto our highway (our development fronts a very busy highway where folks are usually at 60 mpg or higher as they pass by, so to merge left as I usually do when I go play tennis I have to cross quickly across four fast moving lanes of traffic.  The first time I tried this in a Prius the cars almost crashed into me on all sides as the zero acceleration left me putt-putting across).  I don't remember how the ride felt otherwise, as I was so worried about lack of driving ability I couldn't enjoy any comfort (if it had any).

They were also extremely noisy -- got great gas mileage, though.  That's a good thing to put on your tombstone after you've been killed in one.

Then -- um, some GM type vehicles (an SUV and something I don't know, perhaps a van).  Honda hybrid for three days (I think it was a Civic) which got great gas mileage and was *very* peppy, even more so than our C-Max.  It actually drove like my old Honda Prelude, a sort of hybrid sports car, but the ride was as rough as a sports car, the car so low to the ground I felt like I was riding a skateboard, and the "upgraded" electronics (which was a big factor in my choice of Ford -- unlike others, I truly LIKE MFT a lot) were a joke: a tiny little four inch screen that reminded me of something from the 90's.

What else?  Oh, another small SUV (might have been the Mazda -- at this point I was just waiting for the C-Max to come back from repairs so not really caring or paying much attention).  Okay all around, but nothing special.

The funny thing was that I go through these security gates at one of my tennis venues and the guards there know me pretty well (going there two or three times a week for the last four years or so) and for three weeks straight I was in a different car every time I went through.  At one point I told the guard I was the "Jay Leno of central Florida.  You ought to see my garage!"

Yeah.  We have friends who are just like your friends.  They see an full-size SUV beside them on the road, and it is like a personal insult to them.   Other people lack "imagination" or are blindly "keeping up with the Joneses", but they are true individuals with their golf diesel and their triple-paned windows.  Don't get me started on the organic toilet paper.

I'm a car enthusiast, so I see the Prius dashboard and think "ATM".   How you can remove all sexiness from a car is quite a challenge, but Toyota has succeeded admirably.  I just feel sorry for those hot-shot young designers who get their ideas neutered by the "suits".

Yeah, our Prius friends (the one couple that are snobs -- not the other one who are actually not at all snobbish about their Prius as their other vehicle is a van which they drive at least as much) actually refused to ride in our Durango.  I guess we were just destroying the earth or something (I don't want to get into politics here, but if someone is truly upset about hydrocarbons they really oughtn't be driving a car at all.  I mean it -- bike or walk to wherever you want to go, or get a horse.  Even an all electric car doesn't mitigate the fact that most of our electricity comes from fossil fuels -- how do they think they are going to charge it?).

The Prius dashboard was *very* hard to read and figure out -- I didn't even think about how ugly it was (which it was).  Oh well, I really don't mind anyone's choice in ANYTHING -- like your mate, choosing your car is a highly personal decision.  I just don't want anyone else judging me from what *I* choose (although that's what that couple did).

@Kelly - I  :lol2:  so hard at your post. Thanks!

I live in Prii city (forgive me Nick if the OVERWHELMING persuasions from all the Prii owning drivers here, u have no idea how POLLUTED it it here... :shift: ) so, imo, that about sums up most Prii drivers here. Mind you, I too had a taste of a 09 Prii, wasn't a bad car but I nearly went out of gas thinking a 1/4 tanks would do a 30 mile run on 3 bars (or something like that). .  Nope...flashing  :airquote: i need gas, i need gas on the way home...handling, wtf is that?!?!?

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I'm just happy to get 500 miles per tank these days, 700 or 800 seems like a pipe dream.  Maxus just isn't doing it pure and simple. My fuelly numbers have hit an new low high 30's :sad:

Hey Mike, that sounds pretty low with how flat the south bay is. You doing a lot of high-speed hwy miles? I did an 11 mile trip from work off 101/Trimble to home in Sunnyvale near Remington/S. Bernardo and got an indicated 49mpg with slow/stop-and-go on the local roads with mostly 70mph driving on 101 in between. I'm still learning how to drive this car, but that "empower" screen really helps with keeping the ICE off. I'm curious if you have an odder commute than I do, seeing as how other variables like weather, etc, wouldn't cause any difference.