New 2014 C-Max Hybrid SEL w/303A Option Today

MomsHugs

Hi everyone ~

I'm picking up my new 2014 C-Max Hybrid SEL w/303A option (Ruby Red) this morning! I decided on the C-Max over the Prius V after doing a ton of research, even though 2 neighbors have a Prius & HIGHLY recommended it. The driving test for me was the deciding factor. The Prius V interior design was annoying/irritating - dash is centered + too far away to read clearly with bi-focals, the EV, ECO, POWER buttons for boosting HP uphill was under my right elbow, navigation screen is tilted forward so the glare made it impossible to see, & Toyota is still using Ni-MH batteries. Plus I didn't think I could adjust to a 98HP motor driving a V-6 for 55 yrs.

I really liked driving the C-Max Hybrid - felt normal & even like driving a sports car. Like everything about the interior quality & the dash's design. It doesn't have as much cargo space as the Prius V, but the seats lay completely flat (important for my dog's big crate). 

However, after reading quite a few posts on this forum since signing on the dotted line, I am very concerned about the 12v starter battery failing. The car is 2 yrs into production & still no "fix" from Ford? It should come with a Stanley Simple Starter for a known problem!

Looking forward to enjoying my new car, but certainly not  my neighbors get to gloat if the start battery is dead!

MomsHugs aka Eve

Congrats! 

I am still looking but getting close to joining the C-max family.  With this forum I feel kind of like I did when I bought the Scion xB back in 2005.  it was a cool different car that I felt very proud to drive.  I still look for other xB's on the road and some will still wave at you.  The love for this car seems very much the same to me.

I hope to do a overnight test drive very soon, maybe even today.  Can't wait to get behind the wheel of one again. 

Have fun and keep us posted of what you think of it.

Eve,

Don't go looking for trouble (because Trouble is always trying to find those people :>).  While some folks still have battery issues, there's no way of getting a good handle on how many people do, and we know for sure that a whole lot of people have absolutely ZERO problems (with the battery or any other thing).

Worry is about the most useless human emotion there is -- as a mom you should know that.  Your kids worry about trips to the doctor and dentist, right?  And then afterwards they say "That was NOTHING!"  Worrying about battery issues in advance won't do one single thing for you, even if you do end up experiencing them.  And we know there are at least *some* things you can do if that day ever happens, things that can make it more reliable (in case this is a car you absolutely need, like getting those kids someplace).  But, again, cross that bridge when and if you ever come to it.

In the meantime you can enjoy a vehicle that absolutely blows the doors off the Prius in every respect except possibly gas mileage -- and while Prissy can get somewhat better mileage it comes at the expense of SO many more things it's hardly worth it.  Plus there are folks here on the forum who can show you how to rival and perhaps even surpass your neighbors mpgs (my own is about 47 on an average city/highway, but that's with A/C on high).  

I drove our friend's Prius for a week and hated every minute of it.  Conversely, I can't wait to get back into Maximis (as I write this I think I'm going to shut the computer down and take a drive :>).

The 12V battery is not the starting battery. The 12V battery controls all the vehicles electrical systems,

the same as a conventional vehicle. The HVB (high voltage battery) is the battery that actually starts the ICE.

The 12V battery power is what feeds the controller that activates the HVB contacts to allow it's voltage to

come on line. That power spins MG1 in the eCVT and that's how the ICE is started. Without power from

the 12V battery, those contacts won't close and the HVB power will not be available to power MG1, to start the ICE.

Edited by drdiesel1

Hi everyone ~

I'm picking up my new 2014 C-Max Hybrid SEL w/303A option (Ruby Red) this morning! I decided on the C-Max over the Prius V after doing a ton of research, even though 2 neighbors have a Prius & HIGHLY recommended it. The driving test for me was the deciding factor. The Prius V interior design was annoying/irritating - dash is centered + too far away to read clearly with bi-focals, the EV, ECO, POWER buttons for boosting HP uphill was under my right elbow, navigation screen is tilted forward so the glare made it impossible to see, & Toyota is still using Ni-MH batteries. Plus I didn't think I could adjust to a 98HP motor driving a V-6 for 55 yrs.

I really liked driving the C-Max Hybrid - felt normal & even like driving a sports car. Like everything about the interior quality & the dash's design. It doesn't have as much cargo space as the Prius V, but the seats lay completely flat (important for my dog's big crate). 

However, after reading quite a few posts on this forum since signing on the dotted line, I am very concerned about the 12v starter battery failing. The car is 2 yrs into production & still no "fix" from Ford? It should come with a Stanley Simple Starter for a known problem!

Looking forward to enjoying my new car, but certainly not  my neighbors get to gloat if the start battery is dead!

MomsHugs aka Eve

There has been a fix.  The battery problems since then are pretty infrequent.  And when there was a problem, the SEs seemed to have way more problems that the SELs, from this forum's surveying.  I personally am not concerned anymore and I own an SE.

...............I decided on the C-Max over the Prius V after doing a ton of research, ..................... The driving test for me was the deciding factor. The Prius V interior design was annoying/irritating - dash is centered + too far away to read clearly with bi-focals, the EV, ECO, POWER buttons for boosting HP uphill was under my right elbow, navigation screen is tilted forward so the glare made it impossible to see, & Toyota is still using Ni-MH batteries. Plus I didn't think I could adjust to a 98HP motor driving a V-6 for 55 yrs.

BINGO !!!  We have a winner.  Hugs, high fives,   :congrats:  all around for this astute 'Mom' !

Hello, and welcome EVe, - Enjoy the dash, enjoy the ride, enjoy the bling !

Nick

(quirks, yes, just groove on what works for you, and enjoy the Grrrrr after a few break in miles)

((eeeek, did I just say "groove" - sos....please help))

Edited by C-MaxSea

Hi Eve. Good color choice. ;) I just started my own newbie thread earlier and bought the same RR color. Like you, I read up on the 12V battery issues, and figured it was worth the purchase. Being a forum member on many sites over the years I've grown accustomed to reading threads started by owners reaching out for answers and sharing experiences, but thankfully it's normally a very small minority of owners that have those problems. That being said, being aware of common or uncommon problems is definitely a good practice, so good on you for that.

A quick shout out to members like drdiesel1 and fotomoto. I've read quite a few posts by you two and your patience and experiences are most appreciated. 

Wow! Thanks for all your welcoming comments & good advice; e.g. "Don't go borrowing trouble!" A very special 'Thanks' to Kelleytoons for making me much younger than I am!! (~,~) Had to share that one with my son, the doctor, who got a chuckle out of it. ;-) Thanks to whoever posted the link to partscheap.com, too, to help me order a bumper protector, windshield shade & cooler because of Silki.

My kids are also thankful that I FINALLY gave up my beloved 'Grand Old Dame' aka GOD for a spunky new one with all the bells & whistles. My 16 yr old granddaughter got a kick out of hearing it ding when I took up 2 parking spaces. ;-)

I am already hooked on beating my last best braking-regen score. Driving home last night I got 96-98-91-100 & burst out laughing. Today I practiced driving, linked my phone & learned how to link the garage opener (need help with that gizmo). Tomorrow I'm going to get that done & then commit every tiny icon on the dash to memory before reading tips/tricks posts here on how to get better MPG.

Given that long "honey do" list, you may not see another post from me for a little while, but I'll be back! Looking fwd to reading your posts!!

Eve, aka Silki's Mom  ~~ Owner of Silki's Car

A very warm WELCOME to our wee forum MomsHugs.

Nice to see a very knowledgeable CMax owner who did the research. I too was won over by the CMax by the power & driver and I :love_shower:  my 8" MFT with the navigation, voice command :drool:

I live in Prii city here in Los Angeles and many times, they have passed me. While I can drive faster, I choose instead to drive ECO and rack up the MPG numbers. I see the V and I think it really does look weird - more like one of those European cargo commercial delivery cars than an actual family car. But who cares, they chose the V and I chose the CMax and I am enjoying my EV and saving gas & environment, and if I choose, I can flat toast the V off the lights - if I so choose. They can't ;) ...oh wait, is there a BUTTON for that? LOL - there you go, I gave you a joke play on your Prii owning friends....

PS if you look around, you will find some SPECTACULAR photos and posts here (hint, hint, hint). Look and be rewarded.

...so welcome, join our community of CMax owners and who knows, we may see you in our CMax 600+ Club ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Eve -- glad I could make you feel good about your age.  Given the age of your grandchild I suspect we are of the same generation (or close).  My daughter (who has five grandkids) is also in the medical field, as a respiratory tech (she started late in life with her career, after the kids, or she probably would have been a doctor as well).

I guess you startled me, though, with your worries.  At our age, worrying is the LAST thing we need to do (I just enjoy the fact I get up in the morning and don't have to run off to work but can play all the tennis this old body can stand :>).

Brother Jus ~ Love your Prii joke & tucked it away in high hopes of remembering to pull it out when timely. I have been lurking here for some time while researching the C-Max & found great photos, tips (ex: installing a more useful cargo net), tricks on how to drive to max MPG, etc. I'm still trying to figure out what "ICE" is! LOL!!

Btw... How do I get rid of the unnecessary information under my avatar? I tried to limit it in my profile, but that didn't work out. 

Kelleytoons ~ Sorry to have startled you with my inquiry. I share your joy of being retired & living without worries. I just found parting with my hard-earned savings for a new car pressed all of my buttons. So did buying a Portuguese Water Dog, which is why I need a cargo area large enough to hold a 3x2ft crate & water-works gear, etc. I played a lot of tennis until injuries sidelined me awhile ago. Now those are healed, I should get back on the court.

Yes, by all means get on the court.  Heck, I'm playing now with folks more than 20 years older, so I hope I have a few decades of play left in me <g>.

And you didn't startle me.  I just didn't want you to feel bad about any decision you made.  While I think it's true of any age, I think it's more true than ever that the older I get the more I realize I only regret the things I haven't done, not the ones I have.  Buying a car is the second largest expense for nearly all people, regardless of income, and is sure to carry its weight with it, but if we can keep it in perspective and realize we only get one go around and had better enjoy it, then it's not so bad.

(And I enjoy my decision every single day and I'm confident you will as well -- this was a case where you made EXACTLY the right decision).

Brother Jus ~ Love your Prii joke & tucked it away in high hopes of remembering to pull it out when timely. I have been lurking here for some time while researching the C-Max & found great photos, tips (ex: installing a more useful cargo net), tricks on how to drive to max MPG, etc. I'm still trying to figure out what "ICE" is! LOL!!

Btw... How do I get rid of the unnecessary information under my avatar? I tried to limit it in my profile, but that didn't work out. 

Kelleytoons ~ Sorry to have startled you with my inquiry. I share your joy of being retired & living without worries. I just found parting with my hard-earned savings for a new car pressed all of my buttons. So did buying a Portuguese Water Dog, which is why I need a cargo area large enough to hold a 3x2ft crate & water-works gear, etc. I played a lot of tennis until injuries sidelined me awhile ago. Now those are healed, I should get back on the court.

LOL, I luv that Brother Jus reference - usually its Brother Mike & me that refer to each other that way. 

Do check out some of these photos here from my favorite places on earth:  Jus-a-cmax to Mammoth mountain and back

Pretty pics...for sure  ;)

Now, as for the clutter under your avatar, I don't think you can change anything there. Basically RobertLane (the owner) would need to change the profile at the board admin end, and I have no access to this.