Maxus Sync system messed up

Well my Sync system has been having issues for some time but I've lived with it so I didn't have to take it in.  But lately the system is doing everything but Syncing.  Most of the time the screen says it is performing system maintenance and then the screen goes black to eventually return.  But reboots are becoming more and more frequent.  Now map Navigation system is not working, doesn't show the current map location, the screen goes black and does nothing.  I push backspace or return and that is all it will do.  It hasn't worked with my iPhone 5 for sometime, but now it doesn't respond to the right paddle functions.  Or when trying to select radio or entertainment choices.  I wish there was a direct fit replacement for this piece of garbage.  Apple needs to get on the bandwagon and come up with a replacement.  Microsoft is garbage.

Edited by mtb9153

• 2 weeks later...

The other day my MFT would not respond to button presses on the normal radio screens (AM, FM). I did a master reset, after which using the preset button on the MFT, the radio stations would change but the display would not. It was playing the station of the button I pressed but the display said the first station was still playing. Subsequent presses changed the station but not the display. Changing to Sirius/XM the display and preset buttons worked the way you would expect. On regular radio no screen updates at all. Took it to dealer as I thought it was the warrantied APIM module. Dealer looked at the DCIM codes and said there was no communication between the radio module and the NAV card.

I thought the NAV card held only the map data from TelNav or whomever the map vendor is. But the dealer tried to tell me that the card is like the decoder cards on a TV satellite receiver. They replaced the A4 card with an A5 and returned it to me, working correctly, along with a bill for $235. My mileage is way over the 36000 coverage for warranty, but the NAV card is not covered by the 100,000 mile extended warranty I purchased.

I think I was dazzled by B.S.

I was wondering if Rebecca could find out from her tech team if there is more to the NAV card than simply map and POI data. I did check the codes reported and the coverage of the card by the extended warranty and they were telling me the truth about those it's just the symptoms would not lead me to think of the NAV card.

Hmmm -- Rebecca and I differ about this, because when I put A5 in my car (which I bought for less than $40 from eBay) it DID seem to change things in MFT (for the better, but at first it confused me).  I had different options and behaviors and did NOT have some things that folks without A5 did have.  Rebecca thinks they installed the beta of the new MFT software for me when I brought my car in for other work but I am skeptical about that (since it still seems to say I'm running the same version as everyone else).

Assuming you kept the A4 card (which you should have -- it belongs to you) you could put it back in and see if things break again.  Honestly, though, if they charged you $235 you were charged $200 too much for that card (I would not have spent more than $35 for the upgrade).

Like I said I thought it was the APIM module and that is covered by a warranty extension (12M02 - 5 yrs, unlimited mileage). They bought the car out said it was all fixed but it wasn't the module it was the card. I have seen and know I can get the card for way less, but they had already done the work and I was kind of stuck. It's been working since so I have to assume they found the right problem. I've not looked at the replacement cost for the Ford part through dealers, so I don't think they overcharged me. Just that it costs way more than it should. 

Edited by MichaelM

I understand, but all I'm saying is if "the work" they did was taking the A4 out and putting the A5 in I'm not so sure I wouldn't have told them where to shove things (and then gone and bought the card myself).  If they are charging you $200 for 10 seconds worth of effort they definitely are overcharging (and, yes, I realize the eBay prices are way cheaper, but even so you can most likely get the card for not more than $100).

But if it's working... sometimes life is too short to worry about it.

My mileage is way over the 36000 coverage for warranty, but the NAV card is not covered by the 100,000 mile extended warranty I purchased.

I think I was dazzled by B.S.

If you purchased the Ford Premium Care Extended maintenance plan, it clearly states in "High Tech" section that it includes both Navigation System and MyFord Touch (see brochure link belew):

http://owner.ford.com/Storage/mfMmediaFile/142/241/2014%20PremiumCARE%20Brochure.pdf

What I have is 0968 - USA 2013 NEW 48/125000 PREMIUMCARE W/ROADSIDE. But under the SYNC/MyFordTouch it also says (excludes Software Upgrades). Going from the A4 to the A5 is considered a Software Upgrade. At this point it doesn't matter if I agree or not. The dealers have their website that they check for the replacement parts they are using and the computer tells them if the part is covered by any existing warranty (by VIN number). In my case, both to them and to me, the answer was no.

Edited by MichaelM

I think you're both right -- an "upgrade" is definitely not covered, but *fixing* the basic problem is/was.  So if it needed (in their opinion) a new NAV card to fix it, it should have been covered.  That was what I would have argued for (now, they might well have turned around and found a new A4 card for the fix, but perhaps not.  They may not have had any of those in stock and might even have been unable to order any as the new version is all that is being made now).

But as I said, sometimes things aren't worth the hassle, not even over a few hundred dollars.  If it's working, fine.  However, that's a dealership I would NOT go to again.