For Those Of You Who Drive Majority/Mostly Highway Miles...

AMA904

I recently took two trips in the spring.  

First was 3500 miles from Minnesota to Florida to South Carolina and back.  This included all types of terrain including the Smoky Mountains.  I averaged just over 41 MPG.

Second was 1350 miles from Minnesota to Nebraska, Kansas and then back.  Again averaged just over 41 MPG.

In both of these trips I used the ECO Cruise Control and went at posted freeway speeds.  

To put this in context to my regular driving, which is mixed rush hour freeway / city driving, I'm getting 50 MPG this summer.  In the cold of the winter I only get mid-30's because the ICE needs to run regularly to heat the car.  

Highway driving definitely results in lower MPG.  

Hi, my job moved back downtown starting in June of this year and so I began driving highway miles.  It's about a 35 mile trip one way, so 70 miles a day and usually at least 4 days a week.  

Prior to this move, I drove back roads and city roads to my job, about 15 miles one way.  I was averaging in the spring, summer, fall - median temp days about 44 mpg.

Since moving downtown, my average is up....generally 47 - 48 mpg.  I go in early and leave early to avoid as much of the stop and go that I can.  I also use Eco cruise set at about 65 for most of the way.

We have had fairly moderate temps this summer so I'm sure that is helping.  We will see how it does this winter, as Ohio can get cold.

There are people on here that can get fabulous mpg and some, not so good.  I feel that I am somewhere in the middle.

I love that my CMAX has spirit and when I need to step on the gas to get out of the way of that 16 wheeler...glad that it has the power to do it.

I am very happy with my CMAX and the mpgs...but it is the most fun car I have ever driven.  Previously, had a Honda Civic...boring, boring, boring.  No get up and go.

Love, love my car!!!!

Good Morning. My wife and I are looking into the 2014 Ford C-Max SEL and were wondering the actual mileage people are getting who drive mostly highway miles. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

It really depends on how fast you drive.   On a 4000+ mile RT from AZ to PA and back, my actual FE was a little over 39 mpg.  My average speed was a little over 69 mph (moving time speed).  I generally set the eco-cruise to 3-4 mph above the posted speed limit which meant about 78/79 mph on the interstates in AZ, NM, TX, and OK where the trip computers would show about 36-38 mpg depending on conditions.  

In addition, the vast majority of our local miles (around 70%) are on Phoenix area freeways at about 68-70 mph.  Our overall actual FE in nearly 30 k miles is 41 mpg. Also, we use the AC about 7-8 months in a year which in the summer periods decreases FE by about 5-7% depending on conditions. If I stay off the freeways and take the side streets (which adds considerably more time), I can easily get around 50+ mpg on the trip computers and if I employ FE techniques I can get over 60 mpg (but adding even more time to the trips) instead of the high 30s in the summer and low 40s in the winter taking the freeways.

As others have posted it is speed dependent, with mileage dropping as speed increases.  For my driving, typically 68/69 mph my mileage, based on computation using actual gallons put in car, was right at 40.

While I really liked the CMAX I was disappointied with the mileage and replaced it with a VW Sportwagen TDI.  It returns 49 mpg on the highway at 68/69 mph and gets better mileage locally (I live in eastern PA in "deep suburbia").  To top it off it carries more cargo.

This is all very helpful. The vehicle would be for my wife mostly who during the week is probably driving a 60/40-70/30 Highway/City. Top speeds around 70 mph. We do live in Florida though so we are going to have the hot sun/high AC usage during the summer months.

We get mid to high 30's in the daily death match at 70+ mph.

We get low 30's at 75+ mph on the 75 and 80 mph Interstates.

I googled "MPG at 75 MPH"

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_epq=MPG+at+75+MPH&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=&gws_rd=ssl

Edited by wab

I guess it all depends on the official determination of highway versus city. She drives about 55 miles a day . I would say that 32-33 of those miles are driven at 55 MPH or less and traffic can be hit or miss. She is also a very defensive driver. The remainder of the miles are driven at 70-75 mph. If we are going on a longer trip out of town then I will most likely be driving and will most likely be going 75-80 on the highway.

Part of my reason for asking is that I'm concerned that if we don't actually get the mileage it states and end up in the low 30 range, how much $$$ are we really saving when you factor in future repair costs (battery, etc). We get about 27 with her current Escape and some of the other options we were looking at (Mazda CX-5 for example) are getting even better mileage. It sounds like some of those concerns should be alleviated based on the responses I have gotten so far.

As others have posted it is speed dependent, with mileage dropping as speed increases.  For my driving, typically 68/69 mph my mileage, based on computation using actual gallons put in car, was right at 40.

While I really liked the CMAX I was disappointied with the mileage and replaced it with a VW Sportwagen TDI.  It returns 49 mpg on the highway at 68/69 mph and gets better mileage locally (I live in eastern PA in "deep suburbia").  To top it off it carries more cargo.

AMA904 might be interested in pennies per mile?

Higher MPG with your TDI, but higher price per gallon.

Lower MPG in your cmax but lower price per gallon.

Have you ever calculated .00's per mile for each?

Which brings up the next calculation.

Higher purchase price for a diesel or hybrid versus a high MPG (civic) gasser.

AMA904 might be interested in pennies per mile?

Higher MPG with your TDI, but higher price per gallon.

Lower MPG in your cmax but lower price per gallon.

Have you ever calculated .00's per mile for each?

Which brings up the next calculation.

Higher purchase price for a diesel or hybrid versus a high MPG (civic) gasser.

I've never looked at it from that perspective (and it's definitely a valid one), however, my wife likes how she sits in an SUV and the C-Max gives you that feeling. We had a VW Sportwagen earlier this year as a rental and I don't think she would like how she sits in it. She also doesn't like driving a car and we do like the cargo space that an SUV or C-Max provides.

I live in Florida as well (about 40 miles north of Orlando) and as a result have to run the A/C all the time.  We drive into Orlando quite a bit and although our car is new (1300 miles) and my wife has a lead foot ("Lead Foot Annie") that, as one wag described here on the forum about his own wife, tends to be a binary type (which is to say either gas on or brake on) we still have a lifetime of 43.5 mpg but when *I'm* driving I can easily average into the high 40's/low 50's when driving less than 60 mph.

There is supposedly a "sweet spot" of around 67-68 mph that gives you, what?, 47 mpg at highway speeds IIRC.  I haven't done enough experimenting to find out if this is true, but since we are getting Universal passes this fall I will.  Also, in the fall we won't be running the A/C much (right now we are in the high 90's with lots of humidity but I guess you know that).  If your wife can learn to drive well (and it really has nothing to do with hybrids per se, but just sensible type "don't accelerate faster than you need/anticipate your traffic margins so you don't have to slam on the brakes" she can get into the high 40/s/low 50's as well.

Florida has a lot of advantages for a hybrid -- not much difference in elevation and weather.  While the A/C does eat some up, it's far worse for our winter brethren who have to deal with the extreme cold.  Here we can get four or even five months without use of either a heater or A/C.  Our mileage should go up according (I'm really thinking if I can get my wife educated we can raise our lifetime average into the 50's).

We came from a Durango (which we still have and drive some) and did NOT want to sit so low down as you do in some of these vehicles nowadays.  The C-Max also had some of the same cargo options as the Durango (not nearly as much, but still more than a Prius or some sedan).  It has been my dream car -- my only hope is they keep making them so that I can pick up a 2019 model and we'll be a two-C-Max family.

I've never looked at it from that perspective (and it's definitely a valid one), however, my wife likes how she sits in an SUV and the C-Max gives you that feeling. We had a VW Sportwagen earlier this year as a rental and I don't think she would like how she sits in it. She also doesn't like driving a car and we do like the cargo space that an SUV or C-Max provides.

The sportwagen TDI was on my cross-shopping list but was quickly penciled off due to the higher running costs (must factor in the much higher maintenance costs too) and dubious WV reliability but a diesel is tough to beat in pure hwy mileage.  

I live in Florida as well (about 40 miles north of Orlando) and as a result have to run the A/C all the time.  We drive into Orlando quite a bit and although our car is new (1300 miles) and my wife has a lead foot ("Lead Foot Annie") that, as one wag described here on the forum about his own wife, tends to be a binary type (which is to say either gas on or brake on) we still have a lifetime of 43.5 mpg but when *I'm* driving I can easily average into the high 40's/low 50's when driving less than 60 mph.

There is supposedly a "sweet spot" of around 67-68 mph that gives you, what?, 47 mpg at highway speeds IIRC.  I haven't done enough experimenting to find out if this is true, but since we are getting Universal passes this fall I will.  Also, in the fall we won't be running the A/C much (right now we are in the high 90's with lots of humidity but I guess you know that).  If your wife can learn to drive well (and it really has nothing to do with hybrids per se, but just sensible type "don't accelerate faster than you need/anticipate your traffic margins so you don't have to slam on the brakes" she can get into the high 40/s/low 50's as well.

Florida has a lot of advantages for a hybrid -- not much difference in elevation and weather.  While the A/C does eat some up, it's far worse for our winter brethren who have to deal with the extreme cold.  Here we can get four or even five months without use of either a heater or A/C.  Our mileage should go up according (I'm really thinking if I can get my wife educated we can raise our lifetime average into the 50's).

We came from a Durango (which we still have and drive some) and did NOT want to sit so low down as you do in some of these vehicles nowadays.  The C-Max also had some of the same cargo options as the Durango (not nearly as much, but still more than a Prius or some sedan).  It has been my dream car -- my only hope is they keep making them so that I can pick up a 2019 model and we'll be a two-C-Max family.

I live in Miami Beach. I do mostly city driving. In winter, I get 60+ MPG around town without air conditioning, during that little window of a year where it gets cool enough not to have to run the A/C. In summer, I am getting about 52+ with A/C on.

I have done my share of highway driving, too. I just got back from a 5,400+ mile trip from Miami Beach to New England, where I had pretty good numbers, considering highway driving plus A/C. My full post on the trip shows my numbers.

I live in Miami Beach. I do mostly city driving. In winter, I get 60+ MPG around town without air conditioning, during that little window of a year where it gets cool enough not to have to run the A/C. In summer, I am getting about 52+ with A/C on.

I have done my share of highway driving, too. I just got back from a 5,400+ mile trip from Miami Beach to New England, where I had pretty good numbers, considering highway driving plus A/C. My full post on the trip shows my numbers.

That's fantastic. What tip did you give your relative?

I am a sales rep so even though my Fuelly profile says 50/50 hwy city driving I can tell you its mostly 75% hwy and 25% city. My lifetime average is 43.8 MPG at just at +31,000 miles driven and 96% brake score.

I live in the congested area of the Baltimore/Washington DC/Annapolis MD triangle so my question to you folks is WHERE in the heck can you drive at 70-80 MPH because around here is 65 MPH tops and Smokey loves to catch speeders and in the city we have so many speed camera's its become a profit center for local LE.

So yeah I have backed off the pedal hold the posted speed limits and when the road is smooth and open I get +43 on the HWY and if its slows to a crawl my MPG's jump way up.

LOVE the C Max too

MPG is dependent on how you drive.  For example, at high speed, I get lower mpg if I use cruise control because its reaction time is slower than mine when when reaching the top of the hill.  I know to back off and go into EV mode.  Cruise control waits until the car starts to speed up and then backs off.  Also, when the stop light turns green, I accelerate fairly fast up to the speed limit and then back off.  The idea is to use gas on the short stretch getting up to speed rather than using up electric reserve.  It is best to use electric at the speed limit when you go further for the same amount of energy.  I'm sure others can also provide tips that help with mpg.

We drive about 95% highway and have a lifetime average (since new) of 47.9 MPG and since the mileage "upgrade" last August of 48.3 MPG.  We have over 42,000 miles on the car and love it.  Our "highway" is about equally split between country roads at 55 mph with little traffic and Interstates at 55 to 70 mph (although I rarely go over 65).  I coast and brake gently as much as possible, watch the road ahead and keep to speed limits but otherwise don't bother much with "hypermiling".  I use ECO cruise "constantly" (it works down to 20 mph), accelerate briskly, stomp it when necessary to pass on those two lane roads (great fun!), and generally ignore what the battery is doing (except for technical curiosity).

I'm convinced you really don't need to bother with the battery and the car's operating modes at all to get great mileage.  I like watching all the gauges but, if absent, I don't think my mileage would suffer by even 1 MPG.  So, learn the driving "techniques" mentioned above, set the cruise control, sit back and "enjoy the flight".