2014 C-Max Owners

RockwallRick

This thread is intended to be for 2014 Owners Only! Please state what issues you have run into so far. I have read a lot of horror stories on this forum but they seem to be

mostly related to the 2013 Models.  Also it would be interesting to know what kind of gas mileage that you are getting.

We have a 2014 Sel with the 303A package and the Pano Roof. ( Wife has to have ALL the goodies!! ) So far so good, no issues to report but only had it for two months ( 2400 miles ) We

are averaging approximately 43 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving. My Wife is the primary driver and she constantly reminds me that it is her car!!!

I assume you mean this thread as some sort of statement to counteract the issues others have, and not as something intended to make you feel better, right?  Because everything is good so why worry?

As with nearly all forums I've both participated in and run over the many decades, the preponderance of folks who come here do so because they have problems.  It's like if you only ever visited hospitals you'd think there were no well people anywhere in the world.  So of course we are going to see horror stories here because, frankly, the amount of folks like you and I who say "Hey, just wanted to drop by and say everything is fine!" is pretty small (and we're weird, anyway.  Besides, I first came here looking for some minor issues with Maximis, like my arm rest, and for advice on window tinting and such.  So, again, wasn't just coming to tell everyone I had nothing to tell :>).

We have about 1400 miles on in a month (which is really high for us but mostly because we made a lot more trips into Orlando than we normally would, to get the windows tinted and the slight cosmetic issue on the car fixed).  No issues other than the NAV system went "south" on us, but was (apparently) fixed by the dealer with an update to the system.  I also couldn't get the voice in the system to lower after that, but that's because (again, apparently) they put the beta version of the new MFT system (which no one other than beta testers are supposed to have) and it had new options which even the first SYNC tech person I talked to couldn't figure out (but the second one knew and now all is well).  I don't see either of these things as huge, because there is a LOT of tech in these cars and as an ex-IT person I'm used to the issues that come with that (with great power comes great...issues?).  Heck, I still have issues with the fairly sophisticated stereo system I put into our 15 year old Durango (when we had it in for repair they somehow "rebooted" it and I'm struggling to get it back to how I had it fine tuned).

Our lifetime average right now sits at 43.5 but we constantly run A/C high (as you most likely do in our area) and while my wife insists it is MY car she likes to drive it and Lead Foot Annie always brings down the average every day she does (so I'm constantly in a catch up game to her).  I really think if I were the sole driver I'd easily have 47+ mpg on it right now, as even with an even mix of city and highway I get in the 50's most of the time (and it will only improve in our mild Florida winters, when no A/C and no heat are needed).

I bought My 2014 SEL 302A package in gray sterling on May 30.  I have just over 2000 miles on it and love it.  Not a single problem.  Second and third tanks were both over 600 miles and fourth tank would have approached 700 but we are currently getting hottest weather of the year so AC will run.  Tried the high ICE on the highway yesterday and the instant MPG was around 45-55 when the SOC was maxed out.  The Interstate around here is rolling so there is not much flat to keep that up but was happy to confirm the high ICE mpg's.

...I like to think that most of the problems encountered by the 2013 owners were cleared up before we bought our cars!! ..

l mentioned this in another thread.   JDPowers 2014 IQS showed the C-Max to be the most improved vehicle with respect to initial quality improving 110 problems / 100 vehicles.  That still leaves about 112 problems / 100 vehicles which is slightly better than the industry average of 116 problems per 100 vehicles for a new car.  My guess is most of the improvements were with navigation and MFT issues over the 2013 MY.  

Initial Quality Taken from the Initial Quality Study (IQS), which looks at owner-reported problems in the first 90 days of new-vehicle ownership, this score is based on problems that have caused a complete breakdown or malfunction, or where controls or features may work as designed, but are difficult to use or understand.

Second and third tanks were both over 600 miles and fourth tank would have approached 700 but we are currently getting hottest weather of the year so AC will run.  Tried the high ICE on the highway yesterday and the instant MPG was around 45-55 when the SOC was maxed out.  The Interstate around here is rolling so there is not much flat to keep that up but was happy to confirm the high ICE mpg's.

My 2014 SEL mid-August was driven 210 miles from another dealership & the Ave. MPG was 40.6. I assumed my dealer/salesman topped the tank before I picked it up. Initial town driving dropped the ave. down to 38.5, but trip indicator showed 45 to 55 MPG/trip. Had 545 miles with 1/4 tank left when I refilled it to take a 100 mi. round trip using EcoCruise on a 55MPH 2-lane highway. Now, with over 700 miles, the Ave. MPG is 39.6. Can the lifetime average be reset when the tank is refilled next time (should be 1000 mi then)?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows. ~ Eve

Edited by MomsHugs

On the newer models, like ours, you can reset the average MPG anytime you want, Eve.  There is no longer a "lifetime mpg" per se.

I reset ours after the dealer had driven it down from another dealership as well.  I may reset it whenever my wife drives it a lot (she is... well, let's just say not all that "concerned" about mpg).  You can reset your average by pressing and holding the OK button on the controls.

Guys, how many of these "how is your C-max doing" threads do we need?

At least one more than we had on August 22nd 2014, apparently.

As new users come to these forums, it's often easier to pose a direct question than to read through 24 months of old threads trying to find the same information in 7 different places. That's not anyone's fault, it just the way it is in nearly every online forum more than a few months old that still attracts new members, unless we hire 24x7 'Question Police' to be certain no one ever asks a question that's already been asked.

Edited by kostby

My Wife left her C-Max at the airport for a week while she was in Ireland. I have to admit that after reading all the posts about battery issues I was slightly concerned that it might not start for her when she got back! I am happy to report that she is safely back home and still NO issues on our 2014 Sel!! :)

Here's the thing.........the 2014 SEL is practically identical to the 2013 SEL (apart from a slight transmission change and some aerodynamic mods) so really you can apply 2013 info to the 2014s.    The battery is the same, the wiring is all the same.  So it would make sense to have a "2014 only" thread if it was actually different than the previous year--but it isn't.

Fortunately, if you look at the battery problem survey, there seems to be very few issues with SELs built after summer 2013.  That isn't to say they're immune from problems but SEs are sadly most at risk.

Edited by Adrian_L

2014's have production changes that you will not know about. Modules and electrical components can come from new/different vendors.

Updated internal parts and firmware changes as well as design changes take place. While some spec information such as final drive ratio's are changed, those spec items are listed. Lots of other changes happen that you'll never know about, so 14's are very different over all and 15's will be more of the same. It's the way it works in today's modern digital age and cars are no exception.

Edited by drdiesel1

I think you'll find if you read a lot of the battery topic threads that there have been folks with battery issues on ALL models (well, maybe not the Energi but I'm not really up on that).  They may be fewer on some models than others, but that could also be because some models (with some equipment) sell less than others.

My own gut feeling is the newer the model the less likely battery problems are but you have to go by manufactured date not by year date.  IOW, I *think* (just a guess here) Ford has been constantly tinkering with things in an effort to get the battery problem solved and so it may even be a case of "early 2014 versus late 2014" rather than 2013 v. 2014.  Obviously Ford knows about these problems, and equally obviously they have been trying to solve them, and it just makes sense they may have made small, but perhaps effective, changes that have fixed *some* of the contributing factors (for example -- if a "bad" batch of radios that would not turn off caused some of the battery problems, they may have just switched to a different OEM supplier).  But I also think it's equally obvious that there are battery problems they have yet to be able to fix (and so we should still see problems no matter when the car is made -- they may be getting rarer and rarer to find, though).

Yeah, my own SE was made in January and I have about 1700 miles with no issues other than the NAV "wandering" (it was fixed easily with a dealer applied update).  If it helps, our driving is such that it *should* have manifested some of the battery issues others have talked about (sits for a couple of days without driving, driving in the rain, puddles, lots of very short trips not long enough to recharge it).

• 2 weeks later...

2014 SEL 302 package about 1600 miles. I think it was an earlier 2014 production but purchased July 2014.

Went away foe 3 weeks and my baby started right up.

When DH(dear husband) or I drive it, average 43-48 mpg. DB(dear brother) has a punchy foot and managed only 37 mpg. We just let him drive and didn't try to teach him new tricks.

Best trips 3000 miler 45.1 mpg

35 miler 48+. I was proud of this one as my very first highway trip! I think I had a tail wind to do this (not noticeable but sure it existed as only 43 on the return)

I purchased my SEL on 8/31/14. I took my neighbor for a ride the next day and he pointed out that the black, plastic cover that runs down the windshield from the mirror was dangling loose.

On Wednesday 9/3, the second time I tried a voice command on the way to work, the "speak" button (paddle?) turned down the radio instead of activating Sync. It now turns down the radio 90% of the time, turns up the radio 5% of the time, and activates Sync 5% of the time.

I had the windows tinted and paint protection film applied on Friday 9/5.

On Sunday 9/7, the car developed loud squeaks in the center stack. I've been trying to figure out a way that could be related to the window tinting, but haven't so far.

I have 600+ miles so far, and I'm getting a little worried that I have a "Friday" car  :sad:

I'll take it up to the dealership the first chance I get, but I'm still not sure when that will be. When I find out more, I'll return here to post.

Edited by TallJeff

I purchased my SEL on 8/31/14. I took my neighbor for a ride the next day and he pointed out that the black, plastic cover that runs down the windshield from the mirror was dangling loose.

On Wednesday 9/3, the second time I tried a voice command on the way to work, the "speak" button (paddle?) turned down the radio instead of activating Sync. It now turns down the radio 90% of the time, turns up the radio 5% of the time, and activates Sync 5% of the time.

I had the windows tinted and paint protection film applied on Friday 9/5.

On Sunday 9/7, the car developed loud squeaks in the center stack. I've been trying to figure out a way that could be related to the window tinting, but haven't so far.

I have 600+ miles so far, and I'm getting a little worried that I have a "Friday" car  :sad:

I'll take it up to the dealership the first chance I get, but I'm still not sure when that will be. When I find out more, I'll return here to post.

That's a 4-way paddle switch in the front with the voice command lift paddle behind it. Make sure you're using it properly.

If you're accidentally activating the 4-way paddle switch in the front, you'll have this type of problem.

Double check yourself when using the VC lift paddle. Make sure you're are not hitting the front one at all.

Edited by drdiesel1

• 2 weeks later...