CMax gadgets overwhelming?

I test drive the CMax next weekend and I am researching things ahead of time so I can try them out during the test drive Yes, I like to be prepared. lol. I have watched countless YouTube vids and many buttons look overwhelming.

How is the placement/feel of the buttons? Do they get confusing or do you quickly learn them by feel?

What's the my touch? Is that touch screen? Can the same functions be completed on the steering wheel?

Did you quickly get use to the additional info on the readout panel? I tested a Prius and had a hard time driving and watching the readouts because the information display was so foreign

Thanks!

There has been a lot of static about the Sych and MyTouch systems.. Probably way too complicated for anyone over 13 years old. I have a C Max on order and at 67 years old, I have some concerns about the whole system.

I don't know if this is the case with all dealers, but my dealer has a "Geek" on staff whose sole job is to help customers learn how to deal with the system. He will even come to your house to program the garage door opener. If that is a Ford mandate, I'm sure some middle management guy in Dearborn is busy patting himself on the back for thinking up this solution - but - you would think that if your car was so incredibly complicated that you had to hire people to show new owners how to turn on the heater it might be a clue that something is very badly wrong.

I am 63 yrs old and am waiting for my C-Max. There are lots of youtube tutorials on Myford Touch. I have watched a few and I think for me it won't be too hard to learn. I will make a few cue cards for little reminders as I think getting into the lingo will be the hardest part--and it will be easy peasy once I have those down pat.

I'm 60 years old, and I love all the gadgets and technology. I can't get enough of it. To me its what makes the car interesting to drive. I love playing with the screens and finding out new stuff that it does. For instance, yesterday I learned that if I'm listening to the radio, as long as I don't change the channel, I can actually go back and play a song over again. I think it keeps up to an hour of programs in que, again...as long as the channel isn't changed. After having Mustangs, and Camaros, I thought this car would be boring, but with all the technology, I look forward to driving it every day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a gadget guy too and I'm looking forward to playing with the new toys. But it is sort of sad/scary that someone built a car that requires cue cards and Geek Guys etc to learn how to run it. Is this an answer to a question no one ever asked?

I've got a BMW motorcycle with a radio that is so incredibly non intuitive that I had to make a cue card which I still use today, after owning the thing over ten years. And a motorcycle is no place to have confusing controls. There is an old engineering saying that goes "Why make it simple when it's so easy to make it complicated." Anyone who has owned a German car will probably agree that this is the BMW/Volkswagen/Audi motto.

And by the way, while I'm ranting, what the heck is wrong with good old metal ignition keys? What's the deal with this pushbutton thing?

And, I guarantee you I am not looking forward to trying to teach my Dear Wife how to use enough stuff so she can operate the basic functions.

I think it's all in what u get use to. My dad has no problem using things if it's set up for him first. Give him the basics and he is good to go. When he masters that he is eager for a new feature. I love gadgets. I will be in hog heaven for the test ride. Off to explore YouTube some more!

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate it.

I can't speak to the Nav system (MFT) since I got the poor mans C-max (SE with no frills or thrills). But as far as the digital cluster, it seems to be much more intuitive over the Prius. The prius puts the display more in the line of sight, but the simplicty of the "empower" dispaly mode (which shows the moving blue outline threshold to give an idea of how much accelerator you can give before dropping out out EV) is all I need to see what the system is doing. And it is pretty natural (for old school drivers) to glance down at the cluster now and then anyway. The right hand side display in the cluster is pretty much wasted with the leaves, but with MFT it opens up a few more things to show.

If you do get the SE base without MFT, and do want to geek out a bit, all is not lost. App-link (only with non-MFT equipped vehicles) will allow control of several apps from the physical buttons on the dash (Pandora and Scout for Android for instance). This link explains how the apps work with the car:

http://www.syncmyride.com/own/modules/FaqManagement/AppLinkFaq.aspx

yesterday I learned that if I'm listening to the radio, as long as I don't change the channel, I can actually go back and play a song over again.

Salprint,

What button(s) are you using to go back to play a radio song over again? If I press the Previous or Next button it changes the radio station.

Thx,

Jay

Edited by JayCo59

Salprint,

What button(s) are you using to go back to play a radio song over again? If I press the Previous or Next button it changes the radio station.

Thx,

Jay

Page 447 in the manual.

Replay audio on the current channel. You can replay approximately 45 minutes of audio as long as you have remained tuned to the current station. If you change stations, the previous audio is erased.

While in replay mode:

1. Press and release the seek buttons to hear the previous or next song.

2. Press and hold the seek buttons to reverse or fast forward in the current track.

3. Press play or pause to play or pause the audio.

4. Press Replay again to return to live audio if you have been using the replay feature to replay audio.

OK, I finally figured it out, On page 441 of the manual (in the Sirius Radio section) it discribes what you're talking about. Call me old fashon, but when you say "radio" I'm thinking AM/FM not satellite radio. Anyway, I verified that when using Sirius it does indeed have a pause and rewind feature. But this is a Sirius feature not a true DAR system like I've heard about in some other "high-end" cars. That's where my confussion was coming from.

Thx,

Jay

Edited by JayCo59

Scooter I find it interesting too. I am not too surprised though. When I bought my 2011 Smart Car, it had a lot to do with its high seating position. I test drove so many cars before buying the Smart Car and could not believe how many had such low seating. I would go into a dealership after reading about a car and go sit in it, and due to low seating position I would eliminate it immediately. I had several sales people shake their heads when I said I had no interest in driving the car as the seats were too low. I really like my little Smart Car, but my husband dislikes it and never drives it. He finds it cramped and head jarring going over speed bumps, and the vision through the front window is obstructed for him due to his height. It gets great mileage and has lots of great features--plus it is very cute. I will miss her. When we test drove the C-Max as soon as we opened the door with the wide entry where we didn't bang our heads and found the seats sitting up nice and high, I was almost sold on the spot. I can't believe how many car makers ignore the seat height issue. I live in a townhouse complex with everyone over the age of 45 and I hear so many comments from people disliking their new car a couple of weeks down the road as they didn't realize how the low seats would turn into such an issue. There comes a time in ones life when a racy little MGB GT sports car loses its charm.

Edited by Laurel

Is this an answer to a question no one ever asked?

Just because an individual has not asked the question does not mean the question is not being asked.

:)

I am 39, and in high-tech as a career. I want more gadgets. I usually have to add them in myself. Youth are being raised with always internet connected devices, computers, ipads, TVs... Our TV has more computer functionality than my older computers. Our family has smart phones and tablets and interconnected houses. I have gadgets mounted on my bicycle, motorcycle and in my cars. I even use gadgets while I ski and hike.

I read all my books and news on my phone. I have not looked at a paper newspaper for a decade, and I get annoyed when I have to read a "real" paper book... I prefer to find my TV shows on the internet, and I rarely use my phone for voice calls outside of work - instead we communicate mostly with text, instant message, facebook, or other means...

There will come a time when people will consider a car without gadgets to be "quaint" and "classic".

Valkraider it is so interesting to read different perspectives. My husband loves technology and buys as much as we can afford. I am the flip side. I bought an e reader and hate it as I just missed holding a book. So my e reader collects dust. I get annoyed when people in restaurants all walk in carrying various communication devices and are texting etc rather than talking with one another. At church I cringe when people pull out iphones with Bible apps--totally tuning out the minister and people around them. None of that bothers my husband at all. I do get a bit nervous where all this is heading. Just yesterday I noticed how addicted my friend is to her iphone i.e. leaving it on while we were visiting and eyes flickering nervously toward it everytime it sounded a call. It reminded me of a edgy crack addict. I liked all the C-Max technology but would have bought it without it and would have enjoyed the car just as much. I actually felt a sadness when you said you communicate with "text, instant message, facebook, or other means". It sounds so lonely. And I know that makes me sound so old <g>.

For instance, yesterday I learned that if I'm listening to the radio, as long as I don't change the channel, I can actually go back and play a song over again. I think it keeps up to an hour of programs in que, again...as long as the channel isn't changed.

A neat little feature. Thanks for sharing. :)

• 4 weeks later...

JM<br />

"There has been a lot of static about the Sych and MyTouch systems.. Probably way too complicated for anyone over 13 years old. I have a C Max on order and at 67 years old, I have some concerns about the whole system."<br />

<br />

Don't worry about being too old, I'm 77, it's easier to figure out the electronics than figuring out the wife. Just takes a little time, one thing at a time, you'll get it. There are real good Videos on the Ford web site, that goes step by step<br />

Edited by Arthur