EV+ mode?

Jack may be smiling but Ford's EV+ programmers are laughing - possibly rolling on the floor laughing - as they read these posts!  They put a bunch of "Easter Eggs" in the software just to keep us guessing!  Endless possibilities:

• Turn ON going by any Dealer location (but only if you haven't visited one in 30 days!)
  • Turn ON going by Henry Ford's birthplace (but only on his birthday)
  • Refuse to turn ON if the microphone picked up a naughty word during the drive
  • Adjust activity based on phases of the moon, etc, etc

We bought a GPS some years ago that "magically" started predicting where we are going by putting up messages like "3 Minutes to Dump" or "9 Minutes to Southern States" (gas station) or even "250 Minutes to Home".  All without entering any "destination"!  Then I have a co-worker who was in a rental car when it said "Turn Left".  But the turn wasn't really visible so they missed it and went around the block.  GPS says "Turn Left" but again they missed it.  Third time around it comes out with "I SAID Turn Left!"

Programmers get bored to.

My all time favorite was about 12 years ago, when Microsoft Excel had a secret key sequence that caused the entire screen to be replaced with a fully animated version of the Star Trek screen, with onrushing stars and everything, where the programmers then scrolled up the screen like credits in a movie.

No wonder the darn program file was huge...

Jack,

At some point you are going to have to spill the beans!

I was hopinmg to attract a few more guesses.  I will post the answer on Saturday.

In the mean time, here is a clue:

The failure to turn on EV+ at a frequent destination has something to do with distance.

Edited by Smiling Jack

That would be my guess too, stevedebi, mine always goes in EV+ about two miles from my house.

Is 2 miles a straight line shot to the EV+ destination? Down hill / uphill? Elevation change?  What is the SOC at the start of EV+ and the SOC at the EV+ destination (or battery symbol % if SOC not known)? 

Assume one can get 5 miles kWh at a slower speed. Then, the energy required to go 2 miles = (2 miles) / (5 miles / kWh) = 0.4 kWh on level ground.   SOCMax. = 0.69*1.4 kWh = 0.96 kWh.  SOCMin. = 0.33 * 1.4 kWh = 0.45 kWh.  So, the usable energy from the HVB  is around 0.5 kWh.  

I wonder if the algorithm keeps track of continuous distance in EV mode when approaching an EV+ location such that the EV+ range might be incrementally changed based on such distance and the direction of approach.  This would make sense to do especially in the Energi. 

It has a couple of turns and I never get above 25mph, it might not be related. The ice usually runs in the mornings when I go out for a mile or so. Maybe the fact that it's getting warmer or it is broken in, 7500 miles, but I'm getting a solid 50mpg plus now. A four mile trip to the store averages about 70 mpg!

Remember, EV+ is just an increase in ICE threshold. Speed has nothing to do with it if you keep the throttle below the ICE threshold.

The 1/3 mile max distance feels about right, too. I'd love to have it a mile out, but it's never happened. And to Jack's tease, you have to leave the EV+ regions for it to work when you return. I get into EV+ returning from a 4 mile trip, but not a 1 miler to the pharmacy I forgot to hit on my way home. (Where can I get some memory; I seem to have misplaced mine...)

Have fun,

Frank

Remember, EV+ is just an increase in ICE threshold. Speed has nothing to do with it if you keep the throttle below the ICE threshold.

The 1/3 mile max distance feels about right, too. I'd love to have it a mile out, but it's never happened. And to Jack's tease, you have to leave the EV+ regions for it to work when you return. I get into EV+ returning from a 4 mile trip, but not a 1 miler to the pharmacy I forgot to hit on my way home. (Where can I get some memory; I seem to have misplaced mine...)

Have fun,

Frank

Frank has arrived at the correct answer.  And he has also explained the behavior!

My office is less than one half mile from my home.

I see similar EV+ behavior. My office is 1.3 miles from home. I don't drive to work often but I did enough this winter than it shows EV+ for work and home. But usually driving from work to home won't show EV+, only if taking a longer drive and driving near work and then near home will I see EV+ twice.

• 3 weeks later...