I think I have a solid baseline now

banditb17

I started a log book for my 25 mile commute. Every morning and afternoon after turning the car off I would note down MPG, Miles driven, EV miles, Regen miles, brake score, and make a note about the trip such as heavy traffic, severe weather, whether I stopped for fast food, etc. This does not include short trips for lunches or weekend trips. This is driving the same 25 miles with only minor deviations when possible. I have quite a bit of data but putting that all in a meaningful chart can be difficult. Most of the low MPG trips have some sort of excuse associated with them.

I have logged 6 weeks worth of data and popped it into a spreadsheet and I am starting to play around with graphing it.

These are my mornings:

xIqhBE6.png

These are my afternoons:

f9NRlSP.png

My goal was to gather this data, and then make a modification such as a grill cover or gas pods to see if my average is affected.

I used the trending feature in excel and it actually shows that my MPG is trending every so slightly downwards (probably because I am getting lazy). Anything I can do to turn that around would probably show up as a solid improvement in my graphs.

Do you guys have any suggestions? 

Edited by banditb17

I think the biggest variation is going to be weather (unless you live somewhere like the middle of California where it gets neither too hot nor too cold).  If you use A/C or heat it will definitely affect your mpg more than almost any other variation you can control, and I think your results will get skewed as the seasons change.

IOW -- until you have a full year's worth of data (which will include all the seasonal changes) I don't think there are many mods you could make that you could ever judge the impact on.  But that's just my hunch.

Wisconsin. Weather has been reasonable. Only time I have seen a drastic change with weather was when there was some flash flooding on my drive home.

3.5 Miles of 25-35mph to freeway

4.4 Miles of 65-70mph to offramp

4.1 Miles of 30-35mph to daycare

1.8 Miles of 30-35mph to major road

4.4 Miles of 45-55mph to another freeway

4.1 Miles of 65-70mph to offramp

3.0 Miles of 40-45mph to work

Took those values from google maps. Adds up to 25.3 Miles which is pretty consistently what I have written down in my log. Return trip is reverse of same course.

Total trip takes an hour each way.

Weather has been surprisingly unwisconsinlike as we typically have massive swings from 60s to 100s every summer. Has been pretty consistent this year.

I bought the car at 5000 miles and it is at 13000 now. My current average MPG is 43.7 and climbing.

Edited by banditb17

I find this interesting.  It is a lot of work so thx for doing this and posting.  Maybe temperature and total route time could help with seeing the swings in data?  I know around here traffic on Fridays seems heavier and takes longer. 

I look forward to seeing your results with your mods. 

Wisconsin. Weather has been reasonable. Only time I have seen a drastic change with weather was when there was some flash flooding on my drive home.

3.5 Miles of 25-35mph to freeway

4.4 Miles of 65-70mph to offramp

4.1 Miles of 30-35mph to daycare

1.8 Miles of 30-35mph to major road

4.4 Miles of 45-55mph to another freeway

4.1 Miles of 65-70mph to offramp

3.0 Miles of 40-45mph to work

Took those values from google maps. Adds up to 25.3 Miles which is pretty consistently what I have written down in my log. Return trip is reverse of same course.

Total trip takes an hour each way.

Weather has been surprisingly unwisconsinlike as we typically have massive swings from 60s to 100s every summer. Has been pretty consistent this year.

I bought the car at 5000 miles and it is at 13000 now. My current average MPG is 43.7 and climbing.

flash flooding?  whats that? not in CA. :lol2: