Securing the Power Cord

Racer

My work just repainted our parking lot to have two "Hybrid" parking spots, both in front of the one plug that doesn't say "NOT FOR VEHICLE CHARGING".  I am using this as permission to start charging at work (yay!).  But plugging in this morning, I realized how exposed my plug is to theft.  These things are worth like $400 and I'm supposed to just leave it lying around in a parking lot?!  

Reading the owner's manual, it says you can lock the plug with a padlock so that it can't be removed from the vehicle.  However, the hole provided for this is so small I imagine it won't take a very large tool to break this lock.  

Does anyone have any tricks for this?  I wonder if I could loop part of the cord around something inside the car and slam the door on it.

You might want to post this on the Energi forum for additional responses (and do a search as it's been discussed), but I used a cable lock and padlock thru the wheel on a trip. Also consider rolling the tire on top of the cord with or without a cover to protect the cable.

post-629-0-62982800-1409332531_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Whatever you do, don't park on the cable.  Some have tried that and damaged the cable.   Others have used the heavy duty rubber strips intended for traffic use, run the cable under it, and then parked on it.    These methods or the one listed above don't stop @$$'s from unplugging you.

Me? If I was going to do this everyday work day, I'd get a small lock and use it.  Even at 120v, the car should be charged up by the end of lunch so you could stow the cable in the car for the afternoon.  Charge station etiquette says you should also move the car to let others have the opportunity.

Edited by fotomoto

Too bad there isn't a locking mechanism built into the socket in the car. I know on the Tesla (at least the European ones that can use a standard Type 2 Mennekes plug) there is a solenoid that locks the charging connector to the car until you unlock it from the touchscreen or from the key fob. I'm not sure if other European cars have the same feature or not.

Having to put a padlock on the connector is pretty hokey. 

You can also fit the 120V charger from Ford under the hood if you use a heavy duty extension cord. The extension cord runs from the outlet under the front of the hood near the Ford logo, the EVSE can sit near the firewall on the driver's side. The J1772 connector for the car can come out near the wiper blades and be plugged in. No cords are pinched this way.

This doesn't stop someone from unplugging your car, but you can set up the alerts in MyFord Mobile to send you a text message or an e-mail if that happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I used my L1 EVSE to charge at a hotel, what I did was loop the cord under the hood. There's a way to close the hood with the cord secured without compressing the cord). The only way someone could take the EVSE is if someone popped the hood, or they cut the cord. I'll upload some pics showing what I'm talking about.

Nah, don't be jealous.  Think of it this way -- it's an interesting look into something you might have to deal with some day.  Let's face it, the majority of us here *are* curious about such things (and be honest -- if the infrastructure were in place and all other things, like distance, being equal, wouldn't you have gotten an Energi?).

I look at it the same way I do about threads on bike racks, or getting fancy wheels and such -- if I don't want to read about it (and I don't) I just don't click on the topic.