Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Highway Cruising Speed for MPG's

MPG Highway

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 687 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

Thank you.  Personally, I was looking for the highway speed that produces the best mileage in all conditions. 

I'll continue to drive like a geriatric--i.e. 55 on the highway. 

• ptjones likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 974 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL, 303A, Pano Sunroof, Born Aug 2012

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

Testdriver, our C-Max is one of the magic ones (every 3rd or 4th off the line, I guess) because it easily exceeds your 'highway' numbers by 5 MPG.   ;)

(all subject to .........................)

Dozens of times we've driven to the freeway with 38 to 42MPGs showing for those 5 miles with about a 100' elevation gain and ICE warm up;  once on the urban interstate our C-Max religiously climbs to 45-50 MPGs by the 25 mile post with 60 mph speed limits (we drive at 58-62+- mph subject to traffic),  continuing with an elevation drop of around 200 feet our C-Max climbs to between 50-55 MPG at 30+- miles;  continuing, with elevation regains, the MPGs settle in at 45-50, and will go 'forever', including when the speed limit increases at about 40+-miles to 70mph, and we settle in at 68 mph .....................................100, 200, 300, 400, looped miles.  (last loop, 460 miles, 48.6 (47) MPG with a 2000' elevation gain)  Happy we got a magic one.   

From "Never-Never Land" (Googieville, Seattle),

Nick

(Crux:  letting the car 'drive itself' in ECO Cruise on the freeway, with only a little toggle play for fun! (Don't forget to steer!)

Edited by C-MaxSea, 06 September 2014 - 09:46 PM.

• ptjones, John Sparks and kyledamron like this

#23 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:33 PM

You all want to keep the battery SOC high, eco-cruise tends to drain the batts when it thinks it has too much so....a quick tap of the accelerator will put the car back into ICE mode where it will siphon or continue to build the high SOC, all while your Instant MPG should dance around 40 to 45, or more if there is a slight incline....

This was so much better before 13b07 thanks to the EV limit. Ah, get one thing and lose another....*sigh*

#24 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 974 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

We are in hilly terrain most of the time, so we allow the car to 'cycle' the battery constantly in ECO Cruise, ignoring the state of charge, other than for opportunistically taking it down or juicing it up a wee bit occasionally.  100 ' up, 150 ' down, 250' up, 100' down..............on our freeway driving.  Only rarely do we see flat stretches where the car chooses negative split.  We allow it to do negative split, but do not see any improvement from it (may be a detriment???) - now flat highways elsewhere might be a different story.  But what's to complain about getting 48 MPGs at 68 mph?  I believe we are 'topping out' on our MPGs, can't see any way higher on the freeway without mods.  Gen 2 C-Max will be required to take us over the 50 mark - unaided.    (BTW, we did not run up enough miles before 13b07 to see significant differences, so I'm a wee bit of a skeptic on the 'good old days' - too much work forcing sauce any way). ECO Cruise forever (with a wee bit of toggle for fun) !!!

Nick

(Thinking we will continue unaided until January in order to have 2 full years logged (70-80 % 'highway'/'freeway' miles), then send a check to Paul  :))

((BTW  Happy birthday to Grouper (otherwise known as Starship GG), he turned 2 in August !!!))

Edited by C-MaxSea, 06 September 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,559 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

We are in hilly terrain most of the time, so we 'cycle' the battery constantly, ignoring the state of charge, other than for opportunistically taking it down or juicing it up a wee bit occasionally.  100 ' up, 150 ' down, 250' up, 100' down..............on our freeway driving.  Only rarely do we see flat stretches where the car chooses negative split.  We allow it to do negative split, but do not see any improvement from it (may be a detriment) - now flat highways elsewhere might be a different story.  But ((((((((((((((what's to complain about getting 48 MPGs at 68 mph? ))))))))))) I believe we are 'topping out' on our MPGs, can't see any way higher on the freeway without mods.  Gen 2 C-Max will be required to take us over the 50 mark - unaided.    (BTW, we did not run up enough miles before 13b07 to see significant differences, so I'm a wee bit of a skeptic on the 'good old days' - too much work forcing sauce any way). ECO Cruise forever (with a wee bit of toggle for fun) !!!

Nick

(Thinking we will continue unaided until January in order to have 2 full years logged unaided (70-80 % 'highway'/'freeway' miles), then send a check to Paul  :))

((BTW  Happy birthday to Grouper (otherwise known as Starship GG), he turned 2 in August !!!))

Where is your 500mi. 47mpg, 65mph trip?  No Drafting.LOL :)

Paul

#26 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 974 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Paul, trip was mostly 60-68 mph freeways, description in notes 22 & 24 above, and #s 4 & 6 below. Summer driving. 

Note 22 above is the crux - repeatable route to 48MPG highway, any day of the week now - 5 miles to freeway 38-42, then a steady climb to 45-50 gauge (43-48 pump) subject to time of year.

http://fordcmaxhybri...pgs/#entry48651

Edited by C-MaxSea, 06 September 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,408 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

Just so it is clear, other than on flats with Eco Cruise, you will actually do better by reading the road conditions and flying manually and without Cruise. The issue will be that you will have to do a lot of work for the extra MPG. That's just too much work for long trips at highway speeds.

• C-MaxSea likes this

#28 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 974 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

Just so it is clear, other than on flats with Eco Cruise, you will actually do better by reading the road conditions and flying manually and without Cruise. The issue will be that you will have to do a lot of work for the extra MPG. That's just too much work for long trips at highway speeds.

Agree, and to be sure clear is clear, SDM, I think you are stating that manual mode (driver control without ECO Cruise) is too much work, therefore stick with ECO Cruise - exactly what I have been saying, and encouraging folks to do, in order to pull themselves up into the 40s, or mid & upper 40s if they want, conditions permitting, by tempering their speed.

((( and as you say "flying manually" without ECO Cruise 'would be better';  but I doubt I could 'beat the machine' anyway, even if I tried.  Bottom line, we want nothing to do with the headache of micromanaging the terrain with manual methods (we are way too lazy), other than a cruise control toggle tweak now and then (which may or may not be helping us a bit)))) 

Edited by C-MaxSea, 06 September 2014 - 05:57 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 876 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

C-MaxSea, I agree and could hardly agree more.  For newcomers especially, set EcoCruise at your desired speed and forget it!  (I say "newcomers" because us "old-timers" are set in our ways and won't be convinced by anybody else anyway!)  I repeatedly drive a non-stop 30+ mile stretch at 55 mph - almost level but just enough slope change to go in/out of EV occasionally in Eco-Cruise.  I once tried micromanaging the EV mode (for 30+ miles!) and couldn't tell any difference.  A lot of work for nothing.  (But maybe I need training?)

I also don't buy the "sweet-spot" urban legend.  The faster you go (all other conditions the same!), the lower the MPG.  Period.  Of course I haven't heard the definitive definition of "sweet-spot" so what do I know!

• C-MaxSea likes this

#30 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 687 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:58 PM

Agreed. It simply defies the laws of physics.

#31 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,559 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

I have mentioned this before, but to get the best MPG's on the HWY you need to get the ICE up to operating temp. of +202*F.  With the ScanGauge you can watch WT and compare it to your average MPG's going down and up. If you don't go fast enough the ICE never gets that HOT!  This is one of the reasons Grill Covers work by getting the ICE up to operating temp and doing it quicker. Even with Grill Covers on it takes me about 15miles to get to operating temp. and can watch my average MPG go down until I reach it. Then it  starts going back up and quiet often I will end up with same MPG's I started with for the trip. (low 50's). :shift: 

Paul

• C-MaxSea and Wnuk like this

#32 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,408 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

You can surely bet that I did the overwhelming majority of my 5,400 mile trip to New England and back on Eco Cruise. I would not even fathom to consider manual driving for such a distance. It would take too much focus and work, and I am willing to bet that there would not be much of a difference in the fuel economy over such long runs when using one method or the other with a non-superhuman driver.

When I am local, I make highway runs for up to about 30 minutes or so without cruise control of any kind, because I can read the road (hills, bridges, overpasses) and adjust accordingly. I get better MPG when I fly these shorter runs manually, but I have to do more work to make that happen. For these shorter distances, it is not the big deal to focus on pedal management.

There is probably a line that is somewhere between, and where that comes out depends on the tolerance of the driver. It's all good. :thumbsup:

• ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#33 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

:clapping: Grill covers, eco-cruise long distances, ac for 100+ heat...u CMaxer drivers are whimps :drop:

:victory:  & :flyaway:

• ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#34 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 974 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

........... For these shorter distances, it is not the big deal to focus on pedal management.

There is probably a line that is somewhere between, and where that comes out depends on the tolerance of the driver. It's all good. :thumbsup:

Totally agree, and we are on the extremely lazy side of that equation; if the traffic is moving, we are on ECO Cruise within a mile of the on-ramp fang. ;)

Hey Jus, when are you going to show us that run of 18 - 800 mile tanks?  or was that 23 - 800 mile tanks?  Real, every day urban/suburban 60 MPG dragon slaying !!!  Am I going to have to 'shout you out' !!!  (not here, but somewhere in the 'city' driving threads)  Pretty please.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea, 07 September 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts
  • Locationcentral Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Maximis

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

Just to add some of my own data to this discussion, we went on a two-hour trip 140 mile trip today where our average speed was around 68-70 mph and I got exactly 44.9 mpg both ways using Ecocruise almost exclusively (only two or three times did traffic cause me to brake out of it and maneuver until I could turn it on again).

Average outside temps were in the 90's and the inside A/C was set for 73 degrees and three indicators of fan.  Played music and used NAV the entire way as well (not sure how much, if any, that would affect mileage).  Wind speed was 12 mph the entire trip at a crossbreeze (according to my phone weather info) and mostly sea level with gentle hills and valleys (typical Florida landscape).

I'm guessing I could have done better with Paul's techniques but it made for an easy drive and I kept to the posted limits (usually 70 mph but several short 60 mph stretches).  Traffic for the most part was also typical Florida, which is to say half the folks were going MUCH faster than I (and the speed limits) was and half were going slower (the older folks -- and *I* am one of those).  But there was enough room for the former to pass and for me to pass the latter.

Averaging close to 45 mpg on a fast highway drive to me is better than good -- I suspect in the winter I'll be able to get closer to 50 mpg but if I never get any better I'll be happy).

Edited by Kelleytoons, 07 September 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,559 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

P&G and Drafting isn't for everyone, but it's worth about 4mpg. Keeps me from being board on long trips. :shift:

Paul

#37 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:59 PM

Totally agree, and we are on the extremely lazy side of that equation; if the traffic is moving, we are on ECO Cruise within a mile of the on-ramp fang. ;)

Hey Jus, when are you going to show us that run of 18 - 800 mile tanks?  or was that 23 - 800 mile tanks?  Real, every day urban/suburban 60 MPG dragon slaying !!!  Am I going to have to 'shout you out' !!!  (not here, but somewhere in the 'city' driving threads)  Pretty please.

Nick

I have taken a job as Consumer ReportToaster Reviwer so I need to tow the Eastern Collectivist doctrine that what you say IS NOT POSSIBLE, 37MPG is it.

.wait.

.thats better...sorry, I had to let the smoke clear...*cough*....ah....nothing like free smoke from the government.....

...As I was saying, yeah, I need to tow the Party Line, for the people and not the capitalist.....*smoke is good......oh yeah.....when is my paycheck coming again, Toaster Review Company?!?!?

• Wnuk likes this

#38 OFFLINE   HPRifleman

HPRifleman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 203 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationChicagoland
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max SEL

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

For those that may not understand some of the highway mileage techniques mentioned, here is a picture of one application.

Attached File  Highway.jpg   139.83KB   13 downloads

1) Set the left screen to Empower.

2) Run the ICE enough to raise the indicated battery charge level to almost full.

3) Moderate the throttle so the white part of the load display (far left) is only slightly above the blue battery envelope. Keep the engine running. Don't let it go into electric. This will take some work and your right foot might get tired.

When all of this is working you can get an instantanous mileage reading as shown in the picture (60MPG) depending on conditions. Provided the road is flat and you don't come across traffic, you can keep this up for a while. Remember that if the ICE load falls inside of the battery envelope, the ICE will shut off and you will be running on electric only. This may seem great but as soon as the battery charge level drops and the ICE restarts the instantaneous mileage will drop. Then, it will take more work to get back to the state you were in before.

#39 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:15 PM

...jus stick it in eco-cruise and BLIP that pedal. Easy peasy.

#40 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 876 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:17 PM

At 55 and "Provided the road is flat and you don't come across traffic", Eco-Cruise will do the same thing with no work at all.  I've seen it many times.  I don't understand why this method is considered a "highway mileage technique" as if you must do this to get better mileage.  Then on the other hand we should P&G to get better mileage which constantly takes you in and out of EV.  I'm confused.  I'm not trying to be difficult (maybe it comes naturally!) but I don't understand why on one hand this "ICE Only" mode gives better mileage and on the other hand P&G is better (I mean better than Eco-Cruise).

However, if you can get 60 mpg long term, flat road, no wind, no drafting at 55 mph, then I'm impressed.  I've never seen over 55 mpg - and hardly that.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·