OMG ~ 81 MPG on a short trip!!

MomsHugs

... temps dropped to low 30's the other day 

And this is why we live in Florida <g>.

Not that we don't get below freezing even here in central Florida, but it's nearly *always* at night and by the time I'm up and about it's never cooler than the 50's (which feels just fine in a car without heat).  

On those very rare days when it's cold even with the sun out I stay inside as God intended.  Bring on global warming!

Momshugs

Great job!

I would have been a perfect Energi candidate as many of our trips are around town and 3-5 miles but I needed the trunk space for my bicycle and XC skis.

Not sure where you live but saw a few snow flakes flying today.

As expected, due to short trips and colder weather, the mileage is lower but still twice my Escape so no complaints from my end.

Kelly - love snow and hoping Phantom can play in the snow. If not, we will use the Flex in deep snow. Of course Phantom could make a road trip to Florida some day.

I'm glad folks love snow -- otherwise you'd all be down here.

I love snow as well -- it's looks *really* pretty on TV (which is where it belongs).  Oh, and in the freezer -- nothing beats ice in a drink on a warm Florida winter day <g>.

As for me, I hope to never, ever see snow in person again (outside our community we have a sign that says "Free Snow Removal" which is a nice service to have.  Of course, it will *never* be used :>).

(And today we got 65 mpg on a nighttime trip of mostly highway (55+) speeds on a trip around 20+ miles (and then back again, at 62 for some odd reason -- then again, I was going a *bit* faster).  Outside temps at night were a fairly cool 62 degrees.  Hoping it warms up in the coming weeks).

Edited by Kelleytoons

Scott, keep in mind that most of these exceptionally high MPG numbers are just that - exceptional.  They are usually the result of rolling / EVing downhill on short trips (as the title shows); and these are usually followed up by 30+- MPG trips regaining the elevation.  What really matters is looped trips (returning to the starting elevation), full tanks, and MPGs over time.  Your 45-55 numbers are dead on for good driving of a great C-Max, and you are to be commended   :hat_tip: for achieving that consistently (subject to weather, loads ..................., of course). 

Now taking a few C Max trips with Jus or Matt or ....... , that would be another matter. ;) ; and Kelley with a run of 65 MPG out, and 62 MPG back, that is very, very good.  Three :hat_tip: :hat_tip:  :hat_tip: to those folks for truly setting the highest standard of good (supremely efficient) driving.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Well, I don't deserve much credit -- Florida terrain and weather probably have the most to do with getting good mpg, as well as (usually) not driving over 55.  Yes, I do practice the best driving tips (driving like an egg is between my foot and both the gas and brake) but I suspect most everyone here is doing that as well.

Before the weather changed, when I was using A/C constantly, I was getting mostly in the 40's -- high 40's to be sure, but never really anything much better.  Now that I don't have to use either A/C or heat the numbers have gone *way* up, with high 50's (and low 60's) easy to get to.  Even on my short trips (say 3 or 4 miles to the tennis courts) where before I was seeing pretty bad mpg going and decent coming back (because I'd hit the EV+ mode close to home) I am now easily getting in the 60's (and to come back to the thread topic, even 80+ at times).  I could see a short city commute, with no heat or A/C, is where the C-Max really shines.

I'll say one thing, though -- with the C-Max I find myself driving close or below the limit rather than the 5+ over it I always used to allow myself.  And as a result I am finding the drives, no matter the distance, MUCH more enjoyable.  For one thing, I seldom have to worry about someone slower (and having to pass them), and for another it just feels easier to drive that way (gee -- what do you know?  It seems like the actual posted limits are what you SHOULD drive.  Who'd have thunk it?)

Scott, keep in mind that most of these exceptionally high MPG numbers are just that - exceptional.  They are usually the result of rolling / EVing downhill on short trips (as the title shows); and these are usually followed up by 30+- MPG trips regaining the elevation.  What really matters is looped trips (returning to the starting elevation), full tanks, and MPGs over time.  Your 45-55 numbers are dead on for good driving of a great C-Max, and you are to be commended   :hat_tip: for achieving that consistently (subject to weather, loads ..................., of course). 

Now taking a few C Max trips with Jus or Matt or ....... , that would be another matter. ;) ; and Kelley with a run of 65 MPG out, and 62 MPG back, that is very, very good.  Three :hat_tip: :hat_tip:  :hat_tip: to those folks for truly setting the highest standard of good (supremely efficient) driving.

Nick

Thx for the reply and complements :noobie: .  I am still learning what to do to get better FE.  I get some ideas from the post here, great tips but nothing beats seeing this happen in person or a video with narrative explaining what they are doing and why.   I know it is hard to do this but it would be nice.  I have seen some videos talking about this but not owners who have mastered the FE game. 

25 degrees in Georgia! Glad I no longer live in upper Midwest where it's 10 degrees plus snow. My heart goes out to old friends raising cattle in Nebraska, who are really suffering with -2 degrees... breaking up ice so their cattle can get water or they'll die. The Blizzard of 1949 began like this early in November of 1948 & by January 1949 the Army's WWII bombers were used to drop bales of hay. My parents lost their entire herd that winter - frozen where they stood in 4 ft. of iced snow. So I am very thankful for what I have, including a car that gets 40 MPG on average in this cold.

Paul ~ Thank you for recommending just using the heated seats when needed until I can afford to add Grill Covers. Glad I can choose when to go out now that I'm retired & living in Georgia or I would have no choice but to buy the Block & Oil Pan Heater, too.

Kelly ~ Like you, I am finding that driving a bit slower is more pleasant by a long shot. I still get to my destination on time & no longer worry about a 'sting operation' like the one that nailed me for $158 last spring. Still hurts to think about that fine! <ouch>

C-MaxSea ~ I've found a huge difference in MPG when driving north vs south... accelerating due to even slight degrees of rise. Old railroad engineers would know all about that 3 degrees of slope they had to account for in laying routes. It doesn't seem like much, but makes a huge difference in fuel use, especially when pulling unit trains full of coal. Any railroad buffs here?

Kelly ~ Like you, I am finding that driving a bit slower is more pleasant by a long shot. I still get to my destination on time & no longer worry about a 'sting operation' like the one that nailed me for $158 last spring. Still hurts to think about that fine! <ouch>

C-MaxSea ~ I've found a huge difference in MPG when driving north vs south... accelerating due to even slight degrees of rise. Old railroad engineers would know all about that 3 degrees of slope they had to account for in laying routes. It doesn't seem like much, but makes a huge difference in fuel use, especially when pulling unit trains full of coal. Any railroad buffs here?

RE: Fines. Just be glad is isn't California - they cost about 500 here, including court fees.

I'm not sure everyone will understand your "north south". you mean going uphill (north) vs. downhill (south). I've noticed that even a couple percent grade makes a huge difference in MPG.

The CMax is super sensitive to any inclines, roads that look flat and are not - you can feel it in the car. It takes a while to adjust to but as I am a golfer, I've seen all optical illusions where the balls break up slope when optically it looks downhill, or flat when the ball tell you its definitely not with a big swerve...welcome to slopeage where you roll a BIG white metal object vs a teenie weenie one  ;)

The CMax is super sensitive to any inclines, roads that look flat and are not - you can feel it in the car. It takes a while to adjust to but as I am a golfer, I've seen all optical illusions where the balls break up slope when optically it looks downhill, or flat when the ball tell you its definitely not with a big swerve...welcome to slopeage where you roll a BIG white metal object vs a teenie weenie one  ;)

Ah, golf, never broke a hundred myself.

It isn't just the C-Max, my 2008 Escape Hybrid was the same way - any sort of slope had a big impact on MPG.

I did not have a hybrid until the CMax so I was completely unaware of road inclination - unless they were flat or steep, thats it. Its funny how atuned to the road you become once you really get into hypermiling and finding FE routes with lil or no traffic (even in LA, these roads do exists & if you're lucky, NO pot holes).

I did not have a hybrid until the CMax so I was completely unaware of road inclination - unless they were flat or steep, thats it. Its funny how atuned to the road you become once you really get into hypermiling and finding FE routes with lil or no traffic (even in LA, these roads do exists & if you're lucky, NO pot holes).

No pot holes? What part of LA would that be??!!?!